Amazon's "The Test"

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a bold assertion given Ussie has more test runs from less matches than Blewett, a better average and twice as many tons. Given Blewett scored 2 tons in his first two matches and only another 2 in his next 44 I would say that Blewett personifies an inconsistent underachiever.
No it is not. Blewett in today's era would have a far superior record to Khawaja. Plenty of guys that have inferior records to Khawaja that were much better players than him due to the era they played in i.e. Hodge, Blewett, Lehmann, Law, Love, Elliott, shall I continue. Also I would point out in most cases the opposition was superior, England being the exception. Also, Blewett was a better fieldsman and a useful medium pace bowler.

No it is not. Blewett in today's era would have a far superior record to Khawaja. Plenty of guys that have inferior records to Khawaja that were much better players than him due to the era they played in i.e. Hodge, Blewett, Lehmann, Law, Love, Elliott, shall I continue. Also I would point out in most cases the opposition was superior, England being the exception. Also, Blewett was a better fieldsman and a useful medium pace bowler.
Not sure any of England, NZ, SA or India had a better bowling attack in Blewitt's era than Khawaja's.

Not sure any of England, NZ, SA or India had a better bowling attack in Blewitt's era than Khawaja's.
I did state that England was an exception. NZ bowling probably not as good then, certainly South Africa's was, and India's attack had Srinath, Prasad, Kumble and Agarkar in it. A pretty fair attack. Blewett faced Donald, Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop, Akram, Waqar, Shoaib Akhtar and Vaas amongst others.

Just finished it.

- Khawaja's personality surprised me. Didn't know he was like that. The line about him not liking being told what to do or how to play bugged me.
- They showed Langer as a motivator but would have been nice to see the other technical side of things (if there was some?).
- Have heard that the Marsh bros are just great Aussie blokes and this doco did them justice.
- Marnus and Smith's friendship is just so understandable and hilarious
- Finch is probably the best bloke I've never met. Rate Paine too.
- Didn't get much from Starc at all here. They spoke about him maybe once?

Interesting how literally not one word was mentioned about Warner’s atrocious Ashes series and his obvious mental capitulation against Broad

This and the fact there was zero discussion about Stoinis' complete ineptitude in the WC where the two major let downs of the series. I'd forgotten how semi-unlucky we were though copping all those injuries after beating England.

Last edited:
Blewitt was a better and more consistent player than Khawaja
Blewitt was a waste of a fine piece of willow. One of Australia’s great duds. Forget eras, I’d take Khawaja everyday of the week.

Blewitt was a waste of a fine piece of willow. One of Australia’s great duds. Forget eras, I’d take Khawaja everyday of the week.
Khawaja has a better record, won't argue that. Though probably inflated by the opposition he has faced compared to Blewett. Blewett was a far better fielder and also useful with ball, neither of which you could say about Khawaja.

I did state that England was an exception. NZ bowling probably not as good then, certainly South Africa's was, and India's attack had Srinath, Prasad, Kumble and Agarkar in it. A pretty fair attack. Blewett faced Donald, Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop, Akram, Waqar, Shoaib Akhtar and Vaas amongst others.
I don't know if you can say an attack of Donald, Pollock, Adams, *Insert mediocre seamer here* was certainly better than Steyn, Philander, Morkel/Rabada, Maharaj. Also I think you'll find the consensus is India's current bowling attack is the best they've ever had. Certainly their pace stocks are.

Last edited:

I don’t know his breakdown of teams played against but the like of NZ, Sri Lanka and India, and to a lesser England had absolutely garbage attacks back then. I really liked Blewett and thought he was a big underachiever but there’s nothing to suggest he’d be more successful today than he would then. His two tons which enhance his still ordinary average were scored in dead Ashes rubbers at Adelaide and Perth against Malcolm, Fraser, Tuffers, De Freitas and Lewis. Fraser was the only good bowlers, Tuffers and Malcolm capable on their day but generally rubbish

One of my mates saw a bunch of the Aussies out in Melbourne after a test match 4-5 years ago. He said they were all pretty good blokes but said Mitch Marsh loved the beers and pretty much treated him like they had been best mates for years. I thought my mate was putting a fair bit of mayo on that story, but now having seen the way Mitch Marsh carries on in this, it wouldn’t surprise me. What a legend.

Khawaja is an uber flog and goes missing when we need him in Ashes games. Glad he’s not factor anymore.

It’s a surprise Punter wasn’t a better captain really, I love the way he goes about it as a coach.

That Stokes innings doesn’t get any easier to watch, but I still rate it as the best innings I have ever seen.

Great series. Highly recommend.

I don’t know his breakdown of teams played against but the like of NZ, Sri Lanka and India, and to a lesser England had absolutely garbage attacks back then. I really liked Blewett and thought he was a big underachiever but there’s nothing to suggest he’d be more successful today than he would then. His two tons which enhance his still ordinary average were scored in dead Ashes rubbers at Adelaide and Perth against Malcolm, Fraser, Tuffers, De Freitas and Lewis. Fraser was the only good bowlers, Tuffers and Malcolm capable on their day but generally rubbish
I have stated in some of my previous posts that England's attacks were rubbish back then. My assertion was that a lot of the other attacks that Blewett faced were better than what Khawaja has faced. I as much think that Khawaja would have nowhere near as good a record back then as he has today, which is OK at best. I also stated was a much better fielder, and a useful bowler, neither of which could be said about Khawaja. My biggest problem was the initial insinuation that Blewett was rubbish, which he is not.

I have stated in some of my previous posts that England's attacks were rubbish back then. My assertion was that a lot of the other attacks that Blewett faced were better than what Khawaja has faced. I as much think that Khawaja would have nowhere near as good a record back then as he has today, which is OK at best. I also stated was a much better fielder, and a useful bowler, neither of which could be said about Khawaja. My biggest problem was the initial insinuation that Blewett was rubbish, which he is not.

blewett was a gifted cricketer no doubt but a vast vast underachiever and his hard hands meant that he never handled spin particularly well.

I don't know if you can say an attack on Donald, Pollock, Adams, *Insert mediocre seamer here* was certainly better than Steyn, Philander, Morkel/Rabada, Maharaj. Also I think you'll find the consensus is India's current bowling attack is the best they've ever had. Certainly their pace stocks are.
I can certainly say that. Did you ever see Fanie De Villiers bowl?

They also had a left armer called Brett Schultz whose career was ruined by injury, but was said to be as quick as anyone they ever produced.

Remember they also had Kallis in there attack, at his peak. Klusener was also at his best with the ball when Blewett was playing. Brian McMillan was also pretty handy as well.

I will give you Maharaj, though Symcox was very good.

Steyn and Philander are great. Morkel I always felt was overrated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blewett was a gifted cricketer no doubt but a vast vast underachiever and his hard hands meant that he never handled spin particularly well.
Would agree with most of that. As I said, when his name was originally mentioned comparing the 2, it was meant as a slur, which I object to.

They also had a left armer called Brett Schultz whose career was ruined by injury, but was said to be as quick as anyone they ever produced.

Remember they also had Kallis in there attack, at his peak. Klusener was also at his best with the ball when Blewett was playing. Brian McMillan was also pretty handy as well.

I saw Brett Schultz play. He was good.

but he never played against Schultz or De Villiers
And the only time Klusener ever averaged lower than 31 in a calendar year was in his first season - before Blewett faced him - and buffered by his 8-wicket haul on debut.

I think Blewett's stats are a fair indiction of the talent he had at international level.

44 tests at an average of 34...How many more chances did he want?

I think Blewett's stats are a fair indiction of the talent he had at international level.

44 tests at an average of 34...How many more chances did he want?
Not as many as Shaun Marsh.

Though he did have more than enough chances. I am not arguing that.

As I said earlier, there were plenty of other players that I felt were better than Khawaja that never got the same chances that Usman has had.

He and Nantie Hayward were the two great white hopes who never came good.
Hayward was by far the greater disappointment. My understanding is that Schultz just couldn't get his body right. A South African Bruce Reid if you will.

but he never played against Schultz or De Villiers
And the only time Klusener ever averaged lower than 31 in a calendar year was in his first season - before Blewett faced him - and buffered by his 8-wicket haul on debut.
He did face Schultz

De Villiers never played against Blewitt. Schultz played one test v Blewitt in which he replaced Pollock. You could name 6 South African pace bowlers who played against Khawaja who are better than Klusener and McMillan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back