Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1585907235532.png

tenor.gif

I bought this Nintendo Switch game in October, started using it in late December with a combined diet (mainly eating mymusclechef.com meals which are surprisingly decent) and lost a lot of weight and gained decent fitness.

However due to COVID-19 situation the game is constantly sold out around the world and the Switch is also hard to buy. I kinda got lucky I had aligned my eating and fitness to isolation friendly prior but I'd highly recommend both the game and the food service if you're able to get either. I get most my food with minimal trips needed to the supermarket and all my fitness inside.

That looks cool but there's also something about it that seems super dystopian

Tassie reported nil new cases.

Send the players down. Isolate for 2 weeks, once they're cleared play games at Launceston, Hobart and Kingborough.

Start footy again by the end of April.
Eddie now pushing my idea. Thieving campaigner

Horrible news but who in their right mind would go fishing during the weather we had on the weekend. No foresight to check BOM on the mobile.
in a tinny, off flinders, during a lockdown where it was illegal.

absolutely crazy.. I've gone fishing there in a 25 ft half cab on great days for fishing and it can get dicey in sections.

I forgot vinegar. Anything that reduces inflammation, high fibre, spices like tumeric and cinammon.

And drinks lots of water.
Bruno i'd suggest putting just a few drops of each those items in a thousand litres of hand sanitiser and drinking the lot. In Tasmania. Should be good to go then.

Except Government's should be using the immunity passport which is a test to determine if you have anti-bodies, so in effect, have been exposed to COVID19 - Of course this is an interim measure to get people back into the workforce BUT if countries still have their borders closed in the last quarter of 2020, then instead of a recession, you will a depression - In terms of crowds at domestic sporting events my guess is September if things go well.
Peter V'Landys says the Rugbaleauge will be ready to go in May .:think:

Peter V'Landys says the Rugbaleauge will be ready to go in May .:think:
I am a rusted-on rugby league diehard and would welcome the distraction of live sport, however i feel quite uneasy about the desperation the NRL is showing in trying to get games away. Particularly by May 28, which seems way to soon.

Though when Gladys Berejiklian mentioned possible softening of restrictions in may/june if rates decline further, then two days later the NRL announce May 28 as a return date, i immediately smelt a rat.

Most rugby league fans know generally of the NRL's financial shortcomings, but the level of complete ineptness and financial incompetence that has been revealed is equal parts mind-numbing and heartbreaking. I really just feel, well, sad.

This move by the NRL reeks of desperation. Unlike the AFL, NRL clubs don't have the membership numbers that AFL do to prop up their income.

Brisbane had the most members last year at 34 000. Only beating the Giants, Lions ans Suns. Even Lol Norf had more.🤪

They rely so much more on TV revenue than AFL clubs. The concern is that without that revenue, more than a few clubs will hit the wall and not survive. Unlike the AFL, the NRL don't have the cash to prop all these struggling sides up.

They don't even know what the format will look like, yet they announce a return date. On the whole, this has been an extremely poorly run competition for too long.

I just hope that the AFL feel the need to jump the gun here to compete. Outside of their S.O.O. games, the NRL are no competition at all. Shame really.

This move by the NRL reeks of desperation. Unlike the AFL, NRL clubs don't have the membership numbers that AFL do to prop up their income.

Brisbane had the most members last year at 34 000. Only beating the Giants, Lions ans Suns. Even Lol Norf had more.🤪

They rely so much more on TV revenue than AFL clubs. The concern is that without that revenue, more than a few clubs will hit the wall and not survive. Unlike the AFL, the NRL don't have the cash to prop all these struggling sides up.

They don't even know what the format will look like, yet they announce a return date. On the whole, this has been an extremely poorly run competition for too long.

I just hope that the AFL feel the need to jump the gun here to compete. Outside of their S.O.O. games, the NRL are no competition at all. Shame really.

Buying Docklands has given the AFL a lot more room to move financially, they’re able to secure loans that the NRL would never get.

Buying Docklands has given the AFL a lot more room to move financially, they’re able to secure loans that the NRL would never get.
No doubt true but, outside of the mega TV deals we hear about, clubs rely on other income as well.

Memberships, which the AFL clubs in general crap all over the NRL.

Attendance, apart from S.O.O., which is not revenue for any 1 club in particular, cant compare to AFL. Even A League was out doing the majority of NRL games at one stage.

Merchandise, cant really comment to say for sure that the AFL dominates in this field.

The fact is, NRL supporters would rather sit at home watching the game than attending it. That is the only reason why their TV deals come anywhere near the AFL, more bums on couches.

None of this is a pot shot at the game itself, however, the game has been poorly run for some time and the supporters don't support their clubs the way we do in AFL.

You have to guess that the NRL has the approval of the Governments and health experts - Reading that health experts believe social distancing could continue for 18 months until a vaccine is found, though there is no guarantees a vaccine will be developed - You go two seasons without crowds and elite sporting competitions will die or become semi-professional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a rusted-on rugby league diehard and would welcome the distraction of live sport, however i feel quite uneasy about the desperation the NRL is showing in trying to get games away. Particularly by May 28, which seems way to soon.

Though when Gladys Berejiklian mentioned possible softening of restrictions in may/june if rates decline further, then two days later the NRL announce May 28 as a return date, i immediately smelt a rat.

Most rugby league fans know generally of the NRL's financial shortcomings, but the level of complete ineptness and financial incompetence that has been revealed is equal parts mind-numbing and heartbreaking. I really just feel, well, sad.

I am a RL fan as well and the problem with the NRL is the clubs still run the commission so they always have a vested interest unlike the AFL which moved to the independent commission in 1985. It is always going to be an issue as the clubs keep falling out with whoever is in charge and the fact is salaries in the NRL have been bloated since the Super League days.

We are not the USA. IMO across both codes players are really worth no more than $600k at the top end and that is where it should be capped. Of course it is no something that can come in straight away but both codes should be working at reducing the cap over the next 5 years and reigning in the top end payments while maintaining a reasonable bottom end wage.

You have to guess that the NRL has the approval of the Governments and health experts - Reading that health experts believe social distancing could continue for 18 months until a vaccine is found, though there is no guarantees a vaccine will be developed - You go two seasons without crowds and elite sporting competitions will die or become semi-professional.

They never lost approval. They only reason they shut down was Queensland having its borders closed and the quarantine issues that put in the way for the Queensland based teams. It was the same with the AFL. As soon as QLD WA and SA closed borders there was no way they could keep playing despite not actually being shut down. The 14 day self isolation period was too hard to work anything into with players having to isolate 14 days before and then 14 days after to get back in some cases. If we where still in the days of independent VFL WAFL and SANFL leagues rather than a national comp we would still be playing without crowds until there was a positive case.

No doubt true but, outside of the mega TV deals we hear about, clubs rely on other income as well.

Memberships, which the AFL clubs in general crap all over the NRL.

Attendance, apart from S.O.O., which is not revenue for any 1 club in particular, cant compare to AFL. Even A League was out doing the majority of NRL games at one stage.

Merchandise, cant really comment to say for sure that the AFL dominates in this field.

The fact is, NRL supporters would rather sit at home watching the game than attending it. That is the only reason why their TV deals come anywhere near the AFL, more bums on couches.

None of this is a pot shot at the game itself, however, the game has been poorly run for some time and the supporters don't support their clubs the way we do in AFL.

True about crowds and membership in the NRL. Sydney has never really been a big crowd city and a lot of sides still play at older small venues that hold no more than 20,000 fans. My club , Penrith , play at a reasonable stadium but it is still old and holds around 25k max.

What's so bad about the NRL trying to get things started?
If they are isolated and there is no risk of them coming into contact with someone with the virus then let them play.

What's so bad about the NRL trying to get things started?
If they are isolated and there is no risk of them coming into contact with someone with the virus then let them play.
One of the reasons is the broader message that it sends to Australians. Some will take it as, if it's ok for the nrl to play games, then it's ok for me to catch up with friends, not follow social distancing, do what I normally want to do.

One of the reasons is the broader message that it sends to Australians. Some will take it as, if it's ok for the nrl to play games, then it's ok for me to catch up with friends, not follow social distancing, do what I normally want to do.

At the end of the day it is work - People mistakenly conflate sport with work - Yes we have no amateur/community/social sport because these organisations/groups don't have the bio-security set ups in place to manage the virus unlike elite sports - I'll also add that horse racing continues fine with stringent bio-security measures, and as well there are many workplaces that are still operating.

They never lost approval. They only reason they shut down was Queensland having its borders closed and the quarantine issues that put in the way for the Queensland based teams. It was the same with the AFL. As soon as QLD WA and SA closed borders there was no way they could keep playing despite not actually being shut down. The 14 day self isolation period was too hard to work anything into with players having to isolate 14 days before and then 14 days after to get back in some cases. If we where still in the days of independent VFL WAFL and SANFL leagues rather than a national comp we would still be playing without crowds until there was a positive case.

I fully understand this - My argument is that if we have to wait eighteen months or more for the restriction on mass gatherings, that will be 2 seasons without crowds which will be the death knell for a number of elits sporting clubs and even elits sporting competitions - I really don't understand this 14 day self isolation - You want to come to my state, then you must show a negative COVID19 test - This is a higher standard then what is currently in place and anyway states have fairly strict policies for social isolation.

I fully understand this - My argument is that if we have to wait eighteen months or more for the restriction on mass gatherings, that will be 2 seasons without crowds which will be the death knell for a number of elits sporting clubs and even elits sporting competitions - I really don't understand this 14 day self isolation - You want to come to my state, then you must show a negative COVID19 test - This is a higher standard then what is currently in place and anyway states have fairly strict policies for social isolation.

The problem has been not having enough test kits to simply test even a 1/4 of the population hence the 14 day isolation period.
As far as the death knell goes. Sure clubs will fall over and maybe the comp will fold but do you really think something will not move into its place ?
It will be like the business that shut down one day and the same owners start up another company the next. Australian Rules Football League. Essendon Jets Football Club. etc

The problem has been not having enough test kits to simply test even a 1/4 of the population hence the 14 day isolation period.
As far as the death knell goes. Sure clubs will fall over and maybe the comp will fold but do you really think something will not move into its place ?
It will be like the business that shut down one day and the same owners start up another company the next. Australian Rules Football League. Essendon Jets Football Club. etc
Benny and the Jets!

Foxtel will take a smashing here and once people turn things like that off they may never return to them (for example -i turned Foxtel off when they repeatedly s**t on us during the saga and will never return).

The AFL needs a wartime leader and to pull it's head in bigtime. Gill and co's hubris and dependence on mainlining huge TV $$$ will in no way have prepared them to navigate through the next 5 years.

The problem with the enforced time-out is that any combination of a supprters discontent with issues like the following; Jobs for the boys on huge $$$, constant changes to the rules, moralising, high cost and poor treatment of members, sincerey faced appeals by multimillionaire execs to battling members to donate their memberships, souless expansion teams dominating, playing in front of no crowds at the start of the outbreak, player pay disputes during the pandemic, overseas experiments, stupid hybrid rule games (on and on the list goes) - could lead people to a reassessment of their personal investment into the AFL (both personal interest levels and then financial spend) and supporting revenue streams like Foxtel.

If they aren't careful here they could very well misread peoples loyalty to an AFL juggernaut that has pushed its advantage to the limits at all times. This loyalty will he tested by the current forced layoff and opportunity for deep reflection plus dramatically altered financial circumstances.

Last edited:
Crowds won’t be allowed back until they have a vaccine.

But even playing without them would be tough. Can’t see how hubs would work.

You would have to quarantine every player and official for 14 days you let them in to hub facilities. Then keep them apart and test regularly. No one can come in.

Then can you spare an ambulance and med staff during a pandemic? A player gets a bad injury if any outside med staff required that’s another 14 days.

Are players going to be happy being distanced on own room or hotel away from family? Away from other players? Hotel staff would need to be kept apart.

Hubs aren’t going to work.

Crowds won’t be allowed back until they have a vaccine.

But even playing without them would be tough. Can’t see how hubs would work.

You would have to quarantine every player and official for 14 days you let them in to hub facilities. Then keep them apart and test regularly. No one can come in.

Then can you spare an ambulance and med staff during a pandemic? A player gets a bad injury if any outside med staff required that’s another 14 days.

Are players going to be happy being distanced on own room or hotel away from family? Away from other players? Hotel staff would need to be kept apart.

Hubs aren’t going to work.
Crowds will be back before a vaccine.

Even with a vaccine, will it be a requirement to have had the vaccine before you are allowed to attend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back