Coronavirus sends gym equipment retailers into a frenzy

I wouldn’t ever be that desperate id pay some random to use his home gym

No problems, it was just that your first response was about the potential to be fined which made me think you considered the cost/benefit aspect of it, where I guessed if you didnt want some random person in your home gym in the very first place you have said that first and that the fine and the amount is irrelevant and a non issue.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
No problems, it was just that your first response was about the potential to be fined which made me think you considered the cost/benefit aspect of it, where I guessed if you didnt want some random person in your home gym in the very first place you have said that first and that the fine and the amount is irrelevant and a non issue.

Attending a gym is low on my priority list right now. My initial response was for someone who may be desperate to use a set up like that. And I don’t think anyone is that desperate right now that they would be in some randoms house......plus depends how well you get on with your neighbours, one phone call and you are done!

Attending a gym is low on my priority list right now. My initial response was for someone who may be desperate to use a set up like that. And I don’t think anyone is that desperate right now that they would be in some randoms house......plus depends how well you get on with your neighbours, one phone call and you are done!

Different states, different rules. In SA from our perspective, its not enforced unless its 10+. So yes a group of guys could train together at a home gym.

Sorry to call you out, but yes I have heard some people are desperate to go to some randoms house from what I have been hearing around.

From your home state......

1.png

Exercise isnt a low priority for me, I fit into being part and parcel of my lifestyle. I view it as important as eating, sleeping, resting and working.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
I've got 2 x 20kg, 2 x 15kg and 2 x 10kg dumbells, as well as 2 20kg plates. Can do plenty with those, though I do miss the use of a barbell for squats and deadlifts. No bench either so laying on ground doing dumbell press, but can't do the exercise properly as my elbows hit the ground before full range of movement. Better than nothing I guess. Hopefully gyms will be open again in May

I've got 2 x 20kg, 2 x 15kg and 2 x 10kg dumbells, as well as 2 20kg plates. Can do plenty with those, though I do miss the use of a barbell for squats and deadlifts. No bench either so laying on ground doing dumbell press, but can't do the exercise properly as my elbows hit the ground before full range of movement. Better than nothing I guess. Hopefully gyms will be open again in May

As someone on here wisely pointed out to me, try and make some sort of bench or raised platform so you can bench better than on the ground.

Use cushions, pillows to try and get that elevation happening, I even saw on youtube a guy using two empty large cans of paint and a small wooden plank on top of them at each end, to make a bench. It worked ok.

Im not suggesting you can go heavy here, but you can do enough to at least closely hold to a lot of your gains.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Different states, different rules. In SA from our perspective, its not enforced unless its 10+. So yes a group of guys could train together at a home gym.

Sorry to call you out, but yes I have heard some people are desperate to go to some randoms house from what I have been hearing around.

View attachment 856200

Exercise isnt a low priority for me, I fit into being part and parcel of my lifestyle. I view it as important as eating, sleeping, resting and working.

Calling me out?

Just my opinion, but with our current situation in any state if getting to a gym is your biggest most desperate worry then you either have an easy life with no commitments or don’t have your priorities right.

I’m all for getting in exercise in now more than ever but within what is allowed by the health department

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

One health expert has recommended gyms along with nightclubs be the last place to open. The virus can last up to 72 hours on stainless steel and other metals.

I doubt they will be open in May, well in vic nsw or qld.

It will also depend what type of gym you attend, whether they are unstaffed 24/7 or boutique gyms that are staffed during their open hours

I would also imagine the total m2 of the gym will be relative to how many people are allowed in at once

Life won’t go back to normal until there is a vaccine and up until that point the restrictions will go backwards in reverse to how they were implemented.

What will be interesting to see, just to life in general what will change. There will be things that will be differently that will be a pain in the ass, but also some that create efficiencies. And how long until we get comfortable again and slip into old ways.

Calling me out?

Just my opinion, but with our current situation in any state if getting to a gym is your biggest most desperate worry then you either have an easy life with no commitments or don’t have your priorities right.

I’m all for getting in exercise in now more than ever but within what is allowed by the health department

Yeah I did call you out and Im sorry I did.

My life has the right balance and my priorities are in order, Personal life, Family life, Work life and Rest and Recuperation are the main drivers in my life in that order. Which is why one of the only aspects I cant really control is the gym and even in this regard I am well and above ahead of most in terms of equipment and opportunities.

Try and find the balance you seek Im always open to help if you need it. When you have the right balance it will change the way you view the world and everyone in it, its strange that if gym isnt a priority/issue for you that you are in here a lot with a lot to say for someone who seems to be rather indifferent towards it.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Yeah I did call you out and Im sorry I did.

My life has the right balance and my priorities are in order, Personal life, Family life, Work life and Rest and Recuperation are the main drivers in my life in that order. Which is why one of the only aspects I cant really control is the gym and even in this regard I am well and above ahead of most in terms of equipment and opportunities.

Try and find the balance you seek Im always open to help if you need it. When you have the right balance it will change the way you view the world and everyone in it, its strange that if gym isnt a priority/issue for you that you are in here a lot with a lot to say for someone who seems to be rather indifferent towards it.

Lol don’t need to apologise for calling me out, you call out racism or sexism not someone for having a different opinion on such a minor matter.

I don’t need any of your help, quite frankly I find your spots quite narrow minded and in the brah mode “I will lose my gains” You give the impression it’s gym lyfe and nothing else matters

I’ve had periods in my life were gym was a big focus, and other times when I don’t go. Personally I know where the balance lies as I’ve been at both l ends of the extreme. Maybe that’s helped me find perspective now and I really don’t mind the gym not being open for an extended period of time.

I started on this forum looking for advice years and years ago, then shared my experiences and knowledge. There is lots of differing opinions on here, diet, training etc. some I agree with, some changes my thinking on things and some utter garbage. As the years have gone on I’ve spent lest time arguing my points (I don’t care about being right or wrong in someone else mind) and just reflecting on my experiences.

I believe exercise is incredibly important, at all times. Right now I just find it strange that some people’s biggest worry is a gym being closed or when it will re open. Maybe I’m the odd one out.

Lol don’t need to apologise for calling me out, you call out racism or sexism not someone for having a different opinion on such a minor matter.

I don’t need any of your help, quite frankly I find your spots quite narrow minded and in the brah mode “I will lose my gains” You give the impression it’s gym lyfe and nothing else matters

I’ve had periods in my life were gym was a big focus, and other times when I don’t go. Personally I know where the balance lies as I’ve been at both l ends of the extreme. Maybe that’s helped me find perspective now and I really don’t mind the gym not being open for an extended period of time.

I started on this forum looking for advice years and years ago, then shared my experiences and knowledge. There is lots of differing opinions on here, diet, training etc. some I agree with, some changes my thinking on things and some utter garbage. As the years have gone on I’ve spent lest time arguing my points (I don’t care about being right or wrong in someone else mind) and just reflecting on my experiences.

I believe exercise is incredibly important, at all times. Right now I just find it strange that some people’s biggest worry is a gym being closed or when it will re open. Maybe I’m the odd one out.

Its cool. Im happy to assist wherever I can to help you to get the right balance and order in your life.

lol. Talking about gym and exercise issues in a gym thread is the right place to discuss matters of this nature. If that upsets, I couldnt care less.

You seem to constantly love to state that the gym is not a big concern for you at this point in time and thats fine and I welcome that opinion. But for someone who seems to not have exercise/gym in their life at this very moment because there is more pressing and pertinent issues at hand, you seem to have a lot of time to not only sit on this thread but to discuss the merits of it. Which quite frankly is laughable and hypocritical.

Now if I was discussing these issues ad nauseum on another board I could fully understand the merits of the point your trying but failing to make.

I will end this by putting this all in perspective you need then to take a damn good hard look at yourself and critique yourself more closely and your hypocritical nature where you think its relevant to discuss absolute trivial non-sensical issues external to your life on other boards like the merits of the 2020 draft, future fixtures, playing kick to kick and watching TV shows. For the record, I dont care what people discuss on other boards if its relevant to the discussion on the board unlike yourself.

According to your philosophy, you should be find it strange that your biggest worry is absolute trivial to say the least.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH

View attachment 856200

Our rules is 2 people together max in a group, unless it's immediate family etc

Our rules is 2 people together max in a group, unless it's immediate family etc

How has your resistance bands training being going?

Ive only ever used them to open up my shoulders and chest prior to and after a workout. Really need to surf youtube for some decent tutorials to get the most out of them.

I did manage to score some online before they sold out, should be arriving this week. I figured if we are looking at a 6 month lockdown, they will come in handy. Even if we dont, Ive at least got portable convenient equipment that I can use when I travel after this pandemic.

I actually looked at kettlebells as well but for the time being I thought I have enough to keep me going. In any case all would be on backorder. They have completely been ransacked online.

I never dreamed of the manner in the way fitness equipment would sell out dramatically as it has since the gym closures.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
How has your resistance bands training being going?
Couldn't quite tell ya as yet sorry to say, only had 2 proper workouts with them, jury still out

Did a little bit on Tuesday as part of my ill faited legs and arms routine, didn't like the arms part of my routine, felt it put a lot of stress on my lower back at the time after squatting (did bag curls, was ok pump but was an awkward grip due to it being big and bulky and hard to have close to my body, unlike a zbar/barbell, so will try again today with back if it feels any different)

But yeah, was still ******* sore from legs on Friday night, even after 2 recovery walks on Wednesday/Thursday, did a 5ker on Friday night and a big old stretch, finally did the trick loosening me up, only did 2 squatting exercises and calf raises, weird body response. Planning on doing 3 squatting exercises on Thursday so hopefully i recover better next weekend. Will have a crack at dumbbell hammy curls too, lying face down on yoga mat

Will go back and arms this arvo

Chest and shoulders Tuesday (big old push up day, got my yoga mat so will help me do a bit more comfortably)

Legs Thursday

Found a yoga mat at Big W on Wednesday too, happy days there, everywhere else sold out out my way.
Ive only ever used them to open up my shoulders and chest prior to and after a workout. Really need to surf youtube for some decent tutorials to get the most out of them.
Yeah agree

Problem is the flogs on YouTube who post isolation training videos all have equipment in their custom exercise garages/private PT studios where they film...

Standard YouTube bands/tubes video

PT/Bodybuilder posts band video looping it around a power rack or a cable machine then does exercises...

LIKE **** WHAT'S THE POINT, WE DON'T HAVE A ******* RACK OR CABLE MACHINE AT HOME AND AREN'T ALLOWED TO USE POLES AT A PARK/PLAYGROUND, IT'S A SIMPLY USELESS VIDEO FOR ORDINARY FLOGS LIKE MYSELF WHO HAVE MINIMAL EQUIPMENT/APPARATUSES GO OUT IN THE BACKYARD AND FILM USING A TREE OR A POLE ON YOUR CARPORT OR SOMETHING FOR US ORDINARY FLOGS :mad::mad::mad::thumbsdown:

/rant
I did manage to score some online before they sold out, should be arriving this week. I figured if we are looking at a 6 month lockdown, they will come in handy. Even if we dont, Ive at least got portable convenient equipment that I can use when I travel after this pandemic.
Yeah my PayPal cheque cleared on Thursday, so hoping dumbbells come this week, will be asking the question on Friday if they don't arrive as they were in stock when I ordered 9 days ago.

Lucky i went to Rebel and grabbed that tube 3 weeks ago, really should've spent up on a heavy band or two too as they do seem better for push exercises compared to the tube which is a better cable pulley alternative, all well, will just wait on the bench to come in winter...
I actually looked at kettlebells as well but for the time being I thought I have enough to keep me going. In any case all would be on backorder. They have completely been ransacked online.

I never dreamed of the manner in the way fitness equipment would sell out dramatically as it has since the gym closures.
Once my dumbbells arrive I'll start putting out feelers for benches

Though tbf I can't afford them currently :$, just had my monthly load of bills/rent paid off plus my first quarter electricity on top. In 4-6 weeks I can but I just don't want them to come available until say mid May when I know I'll be fine cash wise, if I go early then i potentially miss out, so will take a calculated punt towards end of the month (most suppliers seem to be just taking expressions of interest or orders without payments, then notifying potential suitors when available)

Anyways

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Its cool. Im happy to assist wherever I can to help you to get the right balance and order in your life.

lol. Talking about gym and exercise issues in a gym thread is the right place to discuss matters of this nature. If that upsets, I couldnt care less.

You seem to constantly love to state that the gym is not a big concern for you at this point in time and thats fine and I welcome that opinion. But for someone who seems to not have exercise/gym in their life at this very moment because there is more pressing and pertinent issues at hand, you seem to have a lot of time to not only sit on this thread but to discuss the merits of it. Which quite frankly is laughable and hypocritical.

Now if I was discussing these issues ad nauseum on another board I could fully understand the merits of the point your trying but failing to make.

I will end this by putting this all in perspective you need then to take a damn good hard look at yourself and critique yourself more closely and your hypocritical nature where you think its relevant to discuss absolute trivial non-sensical issues external to your life on other boards like the merits of the 2020 draft, future fixtures, playing kick to kick and watching TV shows. For the record, I dont care what people discuss on other boards if its relevant to the discussion on the board unlike yourself.

According to your philosophy, you should be find it strange that your biggest worry is absolute trivial to say the least.
I’m only discussing things you deem non sensical because you seem to keep posting in threads “we are looking at 6 month shutdown” I am hardly bringing up the topic.

I can hardly being hypocrital, I’m questioning whether should be SO concerned about the gyms being closed for 6 months. I can be accused of not being relevant if anything. If I was posting about OMG I can’t cope without footy that would be hypocritical

Look I will admit I’m sounding like a bit of grumpy old prick and amongst your jovial posts their have been some that have seemed quite narrow minded and immature. Just my take.

i leave in peace ✌️

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I go to a friend's who has a great home gym to workout every day.

Back