Australian basketball.

In 2021:

PG: Simmons/Delly
SG: Mills/Exum
SF: Ingles/Broekhoff/Goulding
PF: Thybulle/Landale
C: Baynes/Maker

The last spot between Green, Bogut, Creek, Cooks, Mathiang and Kay. Preferably in that order. Although would prefer Bogut to Maker as well

If Green has even a half decent rookie season you’d think he’d just about be a lock.

Bogut depends a lot on how much damage father time does in the next 12 months.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In 2021:

The last spot between Green, Bogut, Creek, Cooks, Mathiang and Kay. Preferably in that order. Although would prefer Bogut to Maker as well

I prefer

Simmons exum
Mills cotton Green
Ingles broekhoff thybulle
Landale Kay
Baynes Maker

With ingles and thybulle running around the 4 in patches for small ball.

Delly stiff to miss and maybe swap him for green, otherwise next in if anyone misses through injury.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
In 2021:

It should be close between Cotton, Delly, Green and Goulding for two spots on the team. Dellly cant play the 2 spot very well and we are deep at the point even without him.

I still think provided Bogut gets over his back injury its probable Bogut and Delly make the team due to their long term commitment to the Boomers, but I wouldnt do that personally. The safe option would be to have the starting five mentioned above in Simmons, Mills, Ingles, Thybulle and Baynes and at points for brief periods in games rotate the line-up thats played a heap together listed below as a way of resting Exum, Simmons, Thybulle and Landale a rest at the same time. I hope we dont go safe.
Pg: Delly
SG: Mills
SF Ingles
Pf: Baynes
C: Bogut

Jonah Bolden should still be in the frame for selection too.

Last edited:

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I prefer

Simmons exum
Mills cotton Green
Landale Kay
Baynes Maker

Delly stiff to miss and maybe swap him for green, otherwise next in if anyone misses through injury.
I like the idea of a small ball super quick line-up for small patches. So Josh could play small minutes in that role providing he improves as expected. He is terrific on defence and insanelly quick already. THe line-up could be Exum, Mills, Matisse, Green and Simmons. With Matisse defending the 4 with his 7 foot wingspan.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Green has even a half decent rookie season you’d think he’d just about be a lock.

Bogut depends a lot on how much damage father time does in the next 12 months.
What would be your team selection right now with everything being equal.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We really lack quality or anything remotely like depth at the 4 position don’t we

Bogut baynes landale maker mathiang and bolden would all play the 5 predominantly.

We are left with Kay, motum as the only real 4’s that I know of and some small forwards that can play a bit of the 4 in patches.

Such a pity bairstow didn’t work out like I hoped he would.

In saying that the 4 position has probably declined all around the world. I’m not even sure who the great 4’s in the nba are right now? They probably all play more 5. Probably count them on one hand.

I prefer

Simmons exum
Mills cotton Green
Landale Kay
Baynes Maker

I'm acting on the assumption that Simmons plays the 4 on defence, and in reality defensively we have Thybulle and Ingles who can go between 1 and 4, Simmons who can run between 1 and 5. We have a lot of flexibility there that we don't really need Kay.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
And Baynes as the 5 means you can potentially have Simmons and 4 shooters
Yep. Our best line up is probably.

Mills (another ball handler, a pick and roll with him and Simmons as the screen man would be unstoppable)
Thybulle (defensive lynch pin and good spot up shooter)
Ingles (three point shooter and another ball handler when needed)
Simmons (would get to rim at will with this space provided by this team, or find wide open players for three if teams collapsed or sent help)
Baynes (rim protector and floor spacer on offence)

That lineup would give any team fits. Including the US.

Yep. Our best line up is probably.

Mills (another ball handler, a pick and roll with him and Simmons as the screen man would be unstoppable)
Thybulle (defensive lynch pin and good spot up shooter)
Ingles (three point shooter and another ball handler when needed)
Simmons (would get to rim at will with this space provided by this team, or find wide open players for three if teams collapsed or sent help)
Baynes (rim protector and floor spacer on offence)

That lineup would give any team fits. Including the US.
Bit hard with 4 on the court

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
We surely are entering the age of medals. We have come so close and yet fallen short unfortunately
The Boomers have always shown a canny ability to s**t the bed at just the right time. I'm not holding my breath on us medalling. I'm hopeful and would love it, but we've been burned too many times.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Boomers have always shown a canny ability to s**t the bed at just the right time. I'm not holding my breath on us medalling. I'm hopeful and would love it, but we've been burned too many times.
LOng time Boomers fan here. Followed them since 1988. Id say the opposite. The Boomers have always had an over performing team in terms of talent compared to other teams. They've always played with a passion and organization that has allowed them to compete against teams with a clear talent advantage. If they can do what they have always done and play with the same intent and passion they finally have the talent required to get them over the line. Far from 'shitting the bed' so to say. THey've over achieved on the international stage for a very long period of time. Basketball is huge in Eurpoe, America and parts of South America.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
LOng time Boomers fan here. Followed them since 1988. Id say the opposite. The Boomers have always had an over performing team in terms of talent compared to other teams. They've always played with a passion and organization that has allowed them to compete against teams with a clear talent advantage. If they can do what they have always done and play with the same intent and passion they finally have the talent required to get them over the line. Far from 'shitting the bed' so to say. THey've over achieved on the international stage for a very long period of time. Basketball is huge in Eurpoe, America and parts of South America.
That's a fair call when viewing their overall results through the lense of "on the world stage they're mostly punching above their weight".

I guess my take was based on them quite often playing well in competitions, and getting good results, right up to the pointy end ... at which point they no longer resemble the team that got them there. I say that as someone who's watched them over a similar time frame (so not just looking their last couple of major outings).

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Australian National teams in general have a habit of punching above their weight in group stages and getting to the pointy end against the favourites (while some other bastard gets Sweden or South Korea) then getting our hearts crushed in last minute 50/50 calls that have a 100% rate of going against us.
:(

Back