Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crowds will be back before a vaccine.

Even with a vaccine, will it be a requirement to have had the vaccine before you are allowed to attend?
They’ll ease restrictions if numbers hold up but there will always be some type of restriction in place until a vaccine.

Can’t see how anyone would allow 50,000 to congregate in a stadium during a pandemic without a vaccine

Crowds won’t be allowed back until they have a vaccine.

But even playing without them would be tough. Can’t see how hubs would work.

You would have to quarantine every player and official for 14 days you let them in to hub facilities. Then keep them apart and test regularly. No one can come in.

Then can you spare an ambulance and med staff during a pandemic? A player gets a bad injury if any outside med staff required that’s another 14 days.

Are players going to be happy being distanced on own room or hotel away from family? Away from other players? Hotel staff would need to be kept apart.

Hubs aren’t going to work.
The other thing that i am fascinated to know is the suspemsion of non-urgent elective surgeries.

Considering the following categories

If someone does an ACl for example, that will cause pain and discomfort but wont necessarily deteriorate. Does that mean if someone does a full ACL then they have to wait 3 months to have the surgery?
Is it like that for other things like hamstrings, shoulders, etc?

Doubt the players will agree to play if in the case of injury they cant have corrective surgery straight away (if that is indeed the case)

The other thing that i am fascinated to know is the suspemsion of non-urgent elective surgeries.

Considering the following categories

If someone does an ACl for example, that will cause pain and discomfort but wont necessarily deteriorate. Does that mean if someone does a full ACL then they have to wait 3 months to have the surgery?
Is it like that for other things like hamstrings, shoulders, etc?

Doubt the players will agree to play if in the case of injury they cant have corrective surgery straight away (if that is indeed the case)
Good point. Assume they would have to ease the restrictions on elective surgeries as well.

Crowds won’t be allowed back until they have a vaccine.

But even playing without them would be tough. Can’t see how hubs would work.

You would have to quarantine every player and official for 14 days you let them in to hub facilities. Then keep them apart and test regularly. No one can come in.

Then can you spare an ambulance and med staff during a pandemic? A player gets a bad injury if any outside med staff required that’s another 14 days.

Are players going to be happy being distanced on own room or hotel away from family? Away from other players? Hotel staff would need to be kept apart.

Hubs aren’t going to work.

Why is Australia worrying about 14 day quarantine when you are travelling from state to state - You are better to ask for a negative COVID 19 test - Hubs are being investigated by all domestic sporting leagues throughout the world, though they can be tricky to organise - There may never be a vaccine for COVID 19, so you'll end up with no crowds at sporting events or the like, which mean will mean the end of professional sport - Gee sport was played during the 1918/1919 Spanish Flu plague.

sport was also cancelled.

Check your history - Sport was played throughout the world, including Australia - It may have happened in 'fits and starts' and it may have been in front of reduced crowds but it happened.

ok, checking my history:

Montreal Canadiens (NHL) vs. Seattle Metropolitans (PCHA) – Series cancelled after the fifth game because of the flu epidemic – Stanley Cup not awarded

taking that as a win. bye.

More seriously, an article appeared a couple of days ago that notes how sport played on, and yes it did mostly play on. whether it was wise to do so is another matter, particularly given other things such as the Easter Show and horseracing courses were ordered to shut down (as a punter in another article says, it was all bloody Victoria's fault.). a NSW gazette notice near the end of March 1919 lists all things that were banned at one time: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article229668628 - which is fairly similar to today, and yes sport is not mentioned in there. this article printed in South Australia's Catholic paper the Southern Cross raises the issues of Churches being closed in NSW while bowling greens and cricket ground stayed open. Tasmania ended up banned all gatherings, including outdoor sport. (although I suppose we have to ask ourselves, for this debate, does what Tasmania did really matter? I'm gonna say yes, but hey, sound off in the comments. Old mate J.H.S explained why it was wrong for their government to ban sport...)

now, taking the point of view that death is bad, I would argue it was not wise to for sport to continue, but that's just my view. of course, most sporting competitions did not have to worry about traveling interstate which made continuing to play a lot easier, and the one sport that did have to worry about this, cricket, saw scheduled matches cancelled: (#1 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article175738570, #2 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article151043964 and #3, following the end of article #2, no FC games were played after January despite some being scheduled due to the rather inconvenient matter of the state borders being closed, http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1910S/1918-19/AUS_LOCAL/OTHERFC/)

As noted in the Fairfax article, infectious disease is completely different nowadays anyway. people died all the time back then from various things. Sydney saw the Bubonic plague arrive 20 years earlier. Councils in Sydney had Infectious Diseases Registers to try to monitor these things (among the things recorded, who supplied each victim's milk, in case the milk was the issue). People died all the time, in particular infants, and life went on. So by a certain point, the response in metropolitan Sydney was just to order face masks be wore when on public transport. (whilst i'm here, here's a fun article talking about the experimental easing of restrictions in NSW in early Autumn 1919....and some of the restrictions being put back in place. Sydney would go on to suffer it's deadliest wave a couple of months later. thankfully we don't live with the threat of infectious disease all around us and we don't need to rush back into life as it was.

tl;dr some sport was cancelled, some sport wasn't. death should be avoided if possible.

ok, checking my history:

Montreal Canadiens (NHL) vs. Seattle Metropolitans (PCHA) – Series cancelled after the fifth game because of the flu epidemic – Stanley Cup not awarded
taking that as a win. bye.

More seriously, an article appeared a couple of days ago that notes how sport played on, and yes it did mostly play on. whether it was wise to do so is another matter, particularly given other things such as the Easter Show and horseracing courses were ordered to shut down (as a punter in another article says, it was all bloody Victoria's fault.). a NSW gazette notice near the end of March 1919 lists all things that were banned at one time: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article229668628 - which is fairly similar to today, and yes sport is not mentioned in there. this article printed in South Australia's Catholic paper the Southern Cross raises the issues of Churches being closed in NSW while bowling greens and cricket ground stayed open. Tasmania ended up banned all gatherings, including outdoor sport. (although I suppose we have to ask ourselves, for this debate, does what Tasmania did really matter? I'm gonna say yes, but hey, sound off in the comments. Old mate J.H.S explained why it was wrong for their government to ban sport...)

now, taking the point of view that death is bad, I would argue it was not wise to for sport to continue, but that's just my view. of course, most sporting competitions did not have to worry about traveling interstate which made continuing to play a lot easier, and the one sport that did have to worry about this, cricket, saw scheduled matches cancelled: (#1 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article175738570, #2 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article151043964 and #3, following the end of article #2, no FC games were played after January despite some being scheduled due to the rather inconvenient matter of the state borders being closed, http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1910S/1918-19/AUS_LOCAL/OTHERFC/)

As noted in the Fairfax article, infectious disease is completely different nowadays anyway. people died all the time back then from various things. Sydney saw the Bubonic plague arrive 20 years earlier. Councils in Sydney had Infectious Diseases Registers to try to monitor these things (among the things recorded, who supplied each victim's milk, in case the milk was the issue). People died all the time, in particular infants, and life went on. So by a certain point, the response in metropolitan Sydney was just to order face masks be wore when on public transport. (whilst i'm here, here's a fun article talking about the experimental easing of restrictions in NSW in early Autumn 1919....and some of the restrictions being put back in place. Sydney would go on to suffer it's deadliest wave a couple of months later. thankfully we don't live with the threat of infectious disease all around us and we don't need to rush back into life as it was.

tl;dr some sport was cancelled, some sport wasn't. death should be avoided if possible.

As i stated, sports continued in fits and starts during the Spanish Flu - And WW1 continued.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ACKSHUALLY that sorta happened during the 100 years war, when the black plague hit.

Play on!

100 years is how long a game of footy should be players these days are soft

Sorry chaps, had to call the war off. Flu season you know!
Listen chaps, I know a lot of your friends and family have already died due to the disease in the trenches, and those that survived then got told to run directly into machine guns, but we've decided that the risks of carrying on are now too high.

but as a fun little coincidence, the second wave of the Flu which is when it morphed into the killing machine it was started in around August 1918 and peaked in October 1918, and the War ended not long after.

(yes yes I don't think the diseases in the the trenches killed too many. whatever)

Can you expect anything else when Aussie society on mass raided bottle shops during the lockdown.
You probably can. For one they reckon less money has been spent on alcohol by aussies when you factor the money not being spent on booze in pubs. And for two they reckon you can only drive to and from the bottle-o these days, not supposed to go driving around for non-essential reasons.

Why is Australia worrying about 14 day quarantine when you are travelling from state to state - You are better to ask for a negative COVID 19 test - Hubs are being investigated by all domestic sporting leagues throughout the world, though they can be tricky to organise - There may never be a vaccine for COVID 19, so you'll end up with no crowds at sporting events or the like, which mean will mean the end of professional sport - Gee sport was played during the 1918/1919 Spanish Flu plague.

You keep saying we would be better to ask for a test but up until now there have not been the number of test kits. People where being asked to stay home for 14 days rather than be tested. The situation may well change within the next 4 weeks but it will only change now we have more tests available and quicker results.
As for Spanish flew, yes sport got played but they hardly had the medical advances we have now and it was spread by soldiers during a war. There was plenty more going on.

As an aside, they're testing various instant pinprick tests at the hospital my partner nurses at.

Short version: they don't work.

We can't do mass, timely screening until we have instant kits that do.

Which is exactly why 14 day quarantine has been the preferred option and state borders closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back