Movie BigFooty Movie Club - Week 3 - "Murderball" (2005)

Sports Documentaries

• Hoop Dreams (basketball)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • When We Were Kings (boxing)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Senna (car racing)

• Fire In Babylon (cricket)

• The Two Escobars (soccer)

• Dogtown And Z-Boys (skateboarding)

• Free Solo (rockclimbing)

• Murderball (wheelchair rugby)

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No No: A Dockumentary (baseball)

• A Sunday In Hell (cycling)

• Cool Runnings (bobsled)

• Total voters

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Welcome to the BigFooty Movie Club!

It's a simple concept. Each week, we all watch a movie and discuss it in this thread. Easy.

On Monday morning, a poll will be posted with a list of movies that everyone can vote on and the highest voted film by midnight Thursday (Sydney time) will be the one we start watching/discussing the next day (i.e. Friday). I'll include info on how you can download/stream the movie legally once the film is decided upon, but if there is nothing available, then we'll go to the movie with the second-highest number of votes etc.

I'll update a log of each week's choice and link directly to the first post starting start of that discussion in the OP for easy reference.

If you have a recommendation for a theme for voting (e.g. Tom Hanks films, 1980s Oscar winners, Top 10 on IMDB), just let me know either in this thread or by PM.

This week (Sports Documentaries) - Murderball
Last week (Jack Nicholson Movies) - Chinatown
Week #1 (1980s Oscar Winners) - Rain Man

= = = = = = = = = =

Original OP:

Just wondering if anyone would be keen to do a BigFooty Movie Club? The format I was thinking is that each week we'd all watch/discuss the same movie before moving onto the next one. Simple!

There would be no pressure to be a part of the thread every week, but you'd need to watch the movie during that week to be a part of the discussion. That way people wouldn't be relying on a possibly faulty memory of the film and if it is one you know well, the re-watch might open up some new thoughts on it.

I'm open to how we choose the movies. A couple of ideas I had was to have a vote each week for what the next week's movie should be, or simply watch the Oscar-winning Best Picture from each year.

Comment to register your interest and/or make suggestions for the format and we can aim to start in a couple of weeks time.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sounds like a good idea. I wonder how many of us have Foxtel with sports package? I've got movies for free now.

As for selection you could pick out 6 movies from different categories and roll a dice on it, or more if you have one of those 12 sided dice.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I'm in. Not sure how successful it will be though. They tried to start a book club but it never really took off.

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just wondering if anyone would be keen to do a BigFooty Movie Club? The format I was thinking is that each week we'd all watch/discuss the same movie before moving onto the next one. Simple!

There would be no pressure to be a part of the thread every week, but you'd need to watch the movie during that week to be a part of the discussion. That way people wouldn't be relying on a possibly faulty memory of the film and if it is one you know well, the re-watch might open up some new thoughts on it.

I'm open to how we choose the movies. A couple of ideas I had was to have a vote each week for what the next week's movie should be, or simply watch the Oscar-winning Best Picture from each year.

Comment to register your interest and/or make suggestions for the format and we can aim to start in a couple of weeks time.
What if we throw some ideas out there and vote on them or randomly select from a list of ideas.

Mine is Truman Show (Goes well with quarantine)

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Similar to community play throughs of games. I like it

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Just talking to the mods to work out the best way to start it, but it seems like everyone seems pretty cool with having it weekly and putting a poll up with 5 or so options to vote on what we watch next. If it's all ready to go, I'll put the first poll up on Monday and have it go through until Friday, as I figure most people will be looking to watch over the weekend. Although in this day and age, that might not be true.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Any ideas why it flopped? How can we make this one work?

Not really no. Maybe time factor when reading a book. This might work better as it involves less time.

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Interested.
3 stand out movies in that bunch for me are Chariots, Platoon and The Last Emperor.
All re watchable classics.
I’ll go with Platoon, Rain Man & Daisy. Cannot fault Morgan Freeman in Daisy.

Love Amadeus but it’s just so hard to sit through again and again plus I only rewatched it about a year ago. 😫

Back