List Mgmt. The Bryce Gibbs trade has set our club back 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually don't give the remotest s**t about those issues to be honest.

If he wants to fu** up his personal life, let him.

I do. These are the issues that he has bought to the Club & playing group and the baggage that has come with him from Carlton.

They are totally part and parcel of the mindset he is in.

I do. These are the issues that he has bought to the Club & playing group and the baggage that has come with him from Carlton.

They are totally part and parcel of the mindset he is in.

Cousin played like a god while coked to the gills.

Off field issues aren't an excuse.

So? Plenty of players use recreational drugs.

Exactly, whatever they do in their own time is on them.

The only thing I care about is how they perform on the field.

It's the same thing with my coworkers.. what they do on their off time is none of my business. But when they come into work I expect them to handle their s**t and not push extra work onto me.

Exactly, whatever they do in their own time is on them.

The only thing I care about is how they perform on the field.

It's the same thing with my coworkers.. what they do on their off time is none of my business. But when they come into work I expect them to handle their s**t and not push extra work onto me.
I agree with you BUT do they. Reality is that you put a bad apple into a bin of apples and it will start to rot and infect the other apples. It might be slow but it happens until you pull the apple out and throw it away. Of course the PC thing to say is to pull them aside and mould and guide them into something different but that also takes time and the rotting continues.

Now I have no idea about what Gibbs is going through my comment really is one of a general nature. Bring in a bad apple and it will have an influence in some way shape or form. What do I base that on.....my life experience. Its what I have seen.

Had a solid 1st season with us playing as an inside midifielder, has phoned it in since.

New coach sits down with him to have a deep and meaningful about his future, his response is effectively "I want to sit across half back, in the easiest position on the ground, and rack up cheap uncontested possessions..." Red flags right there.

He doesn't care for our football club, we were simply the mugs who facilitated his move home (for whatever reason that may be).

I originally suggested we give him 5 games this year to find his feet, after that performance he doesn't deserve another game.

We knew what we were getting when we traded him - that is the position we should play him in.

He is weak defensively and lacks intensively - who the hell looked at those issues and thought, 'Let's try and make him a defender!'

Even in his better years I’ve always thought he was a bit vanilla, was a terrible trade, and will be made worse by continuing to play him. I really hope we start looking to the future a bit more with selection if we get another chance to do so this year

I hate how he just slams the ball on his booy at whichever angle it will make it leave his possession quicker. Like he is scared of being tackled or he thinks he is a football god who can hit targets with dinky little kicks. I dont remember him doing this as much at Carlton and I recall his skills being much better there than with us.

I am thinking Gibbs will be remembered more for his time at the Crows than his whole career which is sad for him. A total fall from grace.

I think also he will be scapegoat for our collective frustration of last 2 seasons. I agree, his time at elite level is done, but let's not play the man. Bryce is a good man.

Last 2 years have been cruel to us, let's not make him pay personally for mistakes of many.
Thanks Bryce.

Had a solid 1st season with us playing as an inside midifielder, has phoned it in since.

New coach sits down with him to have a deep and meaningful about his future, his response is effectively "I want to sit across half back, in the easiest position on the ground, and rack up cheap uncontested possessions..." Red flags right there.

He doesn't care for our football club, we were simply the mugs who facilitated his move home (for whatever reason that may be).

I originally suggested we give him 5 games this year to find his feet, after that performance he doesn't deserve another game.

And yet there are some posters who said he was an example of an SA boy we were able to "lure" back to SA, particularly to our club. Delusion at its best.

When he had the chance to come back he signed with the Blues for another 5 years.

As you rightly point out, we were the mugs to help him get back to mum and dad.

He has been a disaster in terms of cost/value/output.

And yet there are some posters who said he was an example of an SA boy we were able to "lure" back to SA, particularly to our club. Delusion at its best.

When he had the chance to come back he signed with the Blues for another 5 years.

There is no doubt his reasons for signing with us had nothing to do with a desire to play for the AFC or to finish his career playing finals. If it was up to him he’d still be playing at Carlton, we are a pay cheque to him only. That said, we did overpay at the time, but not a lot of we got 3 years of B grade footy with the odd elite game thrown in. His complete shitting of the bed combined with ours makes it look much much worse in hindsight.

Does that mean we do noT pursue rankine and luko at the end of their contracts given they extend?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no doubt his reasons for signing with us had nothing to do with a desire to play for the AFC or to finish his career playing finals. If it was up to him he’d still be playing at Carlton, we are a pay cheque to him only. That said, we did overpay at the time, but not a lot of we got 3 years of B grade footy with the odd elite game thrown in. His complete shitting of the bed combined with ours makes it look much much worse in hindsight.

It's the trade cost, not the dollar cost that really hurts with Gibbs

It was a mercy trade. Saved his family. Probably called for by sanfl heavy weights.

If it wasn't why does ricciutto still sit on our board?

Does that mean we do noT pursue rankine and luko at the end of their contracts given they extend?

Depends on when you want to pursue them, now or when they are 29 and what currency you have to give up. You then have to ask yourself why after signing a 5 year contract to see out his career with the blues.

If they're 29, have never been All Australians and we're being asked for more trade currency than most elites in the prime of their career are worth? No, probably not.

Yes, but I suppose the powers that be thought another deep run was a given. How entirely catastrophic.

It was a mercy trade. Saved his family. Probably called for by sanfl heavy weights.

If it wasn't why does ricciutto still sit on our board?

Theoretically we're out from under the thumb of the SANFL bigwigs for this very reason. Stop them from interfering, meddling and hampering our football operations.

The concern is Justin Reid was his manager at Carlton surely he must have had a good a read on Gibbs as any, known his strengths and weaknesses. By all appearances bringing Bryce to the Crows was his baby, which asks some very big questions of Reid. Was he simply incompetent in his assessment of Gibbs or were his assessments clouded by his personal connection to Gibbs? Or was he simply over-ruled by the "higher ups" searching for a "good news story" to spin?

Theoretically we're out from under the thumb of the SANFL bigwigs for this very reason. Stop them from interfering, meddling and hampering our football operations.

The concern is Justin Reid was his manager at Carlton surely he must have had a good a read on Gibbs as any, known his strengths and weaknesses. By all appearances bringing Bryce to the Crows was his baby, which asks some very big questions of Reid. Was he simply incompetent in his assessment of Gibbs or were his assessments clouded by his personal connection to Gibbs? Or was he simply over-ruled by the "higher ups" searching for a "good news story" to spin?

I'm not sure there's much to suggest that bringing Bryce across was "his baby". Bryce was looking for an out as the back ended part of his deal wasn't sufficient to meet his needs. The list management committee (Roo, Burton, Pyke, Reid) baulked at the price required in the 2016 trade period after our 6th place finish. After the 2017 GF loss and extra picks made available by player departure, it's logical that the list management committee would have decided that a greater price is a reasonable risk given we were close to a flag. At that moment in time, it was a worthwhile punt and not one that I'd criticise the list management committee for making. Can argue the price was too high, but then there's the talk that Fagan came in with the instruction to the negotiator to, "get it done". If true, I wouldn't put that on Fagan, as he'd be the mouthpiece for the board on that matter, one weaselly faced coward in particular.

I just don't see why people want to isolate Reid from decisions made a committee that is well known to exist and included some luminaries as Don Pyke and Brett Burton.

I'm not sure there's much to suggest that bringing Bryce across was "his baby". Bryce was looking for an out as the back ended part of his deal wasn't sufficient to meet his needs. The list management committee (Roo, Burton, Pyke, Reid) baulked at the price required in the 2016 trade period after our 6th place finish. After the 2017 GF loss and extra picks made available by player departure, it's logical that the list management committee would have decided that a greater price is a reasonable risk given we were close to a flag. At that moment in time, it was a worthwhile punt and not one that I'd criticise the list management committee for making. Can argue the price was too high, but then there's the talk that Fagan came in with the instruction to the negotiator to, "get it done". If true, I wouldn't put that on Fagan, as he'd be the mouthpiece for the board on that matter, one weaselly faced coward in particular.

I just don't see why people want to isolate Reid from decisions made a committee that is well known to exist and included some luminaries as Don Pyke and Brett Burton.

The key for mine is Reid should have had an intimate knowledge of Bryce Gibbs both on and off-field, along with a significant prior relationship. I think its very reasonable to suggest he would have been a key player here in the decision to bring Bryce in, as well as a key player in working out how much we would be willing to pay.

You're right though, that unfortunately its very believable that the decision would have been taken out of his hands by meddling higher ups. Our club is well known for this and has been extraordinarily dysfunctional, along with lacking insight, through this period.

No I'm sorry, that's bullshit. It was never worth the risk at the time.

He was always a mediocre player who never showed any indication of being able to be elite.

I challenge people now to go back and watch his Carlton games and really assess him. I think now the rose tinted glasses have come off for many of you, you'll see a lot of similarities between his Carlton and Crows performances (only difference is the players around him at Carlton are worse, making it easier for him to stand out)

Our mistake was not getting him a year earlier than we did, where he could have helped us win a flag. We would have effectively given up Gallucci and another late first rounder. Big whoop. The mistake was going a year late.

History is littered with clubs overpaying for an aging player when they think they're on the cusp of a premiership window - it's not like this is the first time it ever happened.

Our mistake was not getting him a year earlier than we did, where he could have helped us win a flag. We would have effectively given up Gallucci and another late first rounder. Big whoop. The mistake was going a year late.

History is littered with clubs overpaying for an aging player when they think they're on the cusp of a premiership window - it's not like this is the first time it ever happened.

Gibbs would not have been the difference in that grand final, not even close.

If anything we would have performed worse.

Why are people still under this delusion that Gibbs is a good football player when we've seen so much evidence he isn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back