Portfolio UNIFOOTY: A new era of talent development

AAA League Logo.png

The UNIFOOTY logo, the three trails represent the three values of the league, Academia, Football and Talent Development
The NAB League has seen small attendances for the majority of its' existence, and a lack of money being generated, as well as the COVID-19 pandemic bringing the stability of State Leagues and their underage competitions into question. Following this pandemic, the AFL and the state governing bodies for the sport discussed a potential new pathway to the league, with one new key player in the room: the universities.
The pros for a university-based football league were enormous: pre-existing fanbases, an opportunity for players to prepare themselves for retirement, a fallback plan for players who suffer injuries, free labour, pre-existing facilities, proven success in the US with college sports interwoven in the national fabric and huge amounts of money.
The decision to establish the new league was a no-brainer, with one little obstacle left to climb, to convince elite prospects to go to school for another year. Surprisingly, the vast majority of players in the next few draft classes were onboard, provided they were involved in football-related classes and along with their scholarships they received some form of money. After some negotiation, the league decided that each player should make $1800 as a base season payment.
So now they had the players, they had the AFL on their side, everything was ready bar one small detail... the teams.​

Let's start with a simple one:
University of Melbourne
Melboune Uni A.png

Melbourne Uni B.png

The Melbourne Uni home jumper is a simple one, being the jumper their affiliate club in the VAFA wears. The clash jumper however is slightly different given that above the V is filled in black in an attempt to increase the amount of black on the jumper in a way that wouldn't make the jumper too dark.
Also, if anyone wants to see a certain university next just let me know and I'll work on it, have a few banked up at the minute.

Last edited:
May as well be parochial: Flinders, Uni SA & Adelaide thanks Fizzier
Here is one of the three you asked for, as well as one more team:
University of Adelaide
Adelaide Uni A.png
Adelaide Uni B.png

Once again not a huge departure from the status quo here, with Adelaide maintaining their current curved vee as a variation from Melbourne. The clash is a straight inverse for simplicity.
Because the last two have been nothing new really, let's go for something a bit more ambitious:
University of Tasmania
UTAS A.png

UTAS B.png

UTAS wear two Brisbane Lions inspired designs, their home being a twist on the current Lions home jumper to include a gradient and the clash jumper being a red and black jumper inspired by a Brisbane clash jumper of the 2000s, however minus the piss stain, making it look far more tasteful.
Up next is a uni that had a somewhat controversial rebrand...

Last edited:
Reminds me of my ACSA Gridiron portfolio I hadn't got around to finalising (did all the Vic/Tas uni teams, but still planned for more). I eventually planned to expand the ACSA league to Footy as well as Cricket and Basketball but alas, lost to time.

Love this so far :) Deakin next pls

Reminds me of my ACSA Gridiron portfolio I hadn't got around to finalising (did all the Vic/Tas uni teams, but still planned for more). I eventually planned to expand the ACSA league to Footy as well as Cricket and Basketball but alas, lost to time.

Love this so far :) Deakin next pls
Funnily enough that portfolio randomly popped into my head and reminded me of this plan I had for uni footy, although I had the idea around 2017-ish I never really fleshed it out until now when I was feeling a bit more inspired

_Damo_

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
wow, I was REALLY close to launching a similar portfolio but ran out of inspiration. Glad I didn't, because i'm loving yours!

logo.png

Also the actual football club use a variant of the state piping shrike logo not the institution's emblem.
Almost used the shrike, however that was for the footy clubs, the uni teams here use the institution's logo
Two more more teams now.
Western Sydney University
Western Sydney Uni A.png

Western Sydney Uni B.png

Was a bit of a shame I didn't get to work with powder blue but a nice simple design for WSU here, not much to say though.
University of South Australia
University of South Australia A.png

University of South Australia B.png

UniSA, on the other hand, have a very adventurous design and colour scheme. The green is borrowed from the affiliated soccer club and creates a striking design. The clash is in the university's traditional blue and white while using the same design.

wow, I was REALLY close to launching a similar portfolio but ran out of inspiration. Glad I didn't, because i'm loving yours!

View attachment 857562
I'd still love to see what you can do for this, it would be a great portfolio

Lets head to the NT for our next team:
Charles Darwin University
Charles Darwin A.png

Charles Darwin B.png

CDU have a unique purple and white colour scheme, and they utilise the purple heavily on the home, while surrounding the club logo with the Sturt's Desert Rose from the Uni logo and the NT flag. For the clash, it is almost a straight inverse, however the purple is kept behind the Uni logo.
La Trobe University
La Trobe A.png

La Trobe B.png

La Trobe continue to wear their classic red and black stripes (and if you've seen me around you'll know how much I love this look), however the back is now red and there are 8 stripes wrapping around. The clash is a white base with 3 outlined red stripes on the front and 3 on the back.

NM_Mitchell

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2014
#westside
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
We put the U in CGU
La Trobe University
La Trobe A.png

La Trobe B.png

La Trobe continue to wear their classic red and black stripes (and if you've seen me around you'll know how much I love this look), however the back is now red and there are 8 stripes wrapping around. The clash is a white base with 3 outlined red stripes on the front and 3 on the back.
Viva La Varsity

I can see issues in a potential La Trobe vs Swinburne game.
The amount of red and black teams is going to be an issue for sure (UTAS, La Trobe and RMIT have all been made) but I'm aiming to make them all as different from each other as possible so they have at least one kit that can be worn against the teams with the same colour.

Zac_Barker

Senior List
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
After you do All the teams, where will they play at? Will they play where the AFL teams play or a suburban ground but I like the idea of making a Stadium just for the University team not too big but not too small.

After you do All the teams, where will they play at? Will they play where the AFL teams play or a suburban ground but I like the idea of making a Stadium just for the University team not too big but not too small.
It sort of depends, for teams like La Trobe or RMIT (Bundoora Campus) who have a newly upgraded oval, they would play there. Schools who don't have ovals would play at local grounds, and finals would probably be played at State League grounds or as a doubleheader with an AFL game.

Won't be able to post any for a week or so, so here's a couple more.
RMIT:
RMIT A.png

RMIT B.png

The Redbacks have a bright red jumper, so they are one of the few clubs with a darker clash jumper.
Sydney Uni:
Sydney Uni A.png
Sydney Uni B.png

Sydney Uni have their classic blue and gold hoops at home, however their clash is blue rather than the usual white, and has a large lion taken from the school's sporting logo.

Back