Redraft the players on our list

* I'm bored, so here's a game.

Redraft our entire list in order of importance/value/whatever. Take into account raw talent, exposed form, age, leadership value, positional rarity, injury history, etc.

1. Petracca
  2. Oliver
  3. Gawn
  4. Fritsch
  5. Lever
  6. Harmes
  7. TMac
  8. Pickett
  9. Viney
  10. Jackson
  11. May
  12. Salem
  13. Melksham
  14. Brayshaw
  15. Petty
  16. Langdon
  17. Jetta (slid from an original ranking at 13)
  18. Weideman
  19. Tomlinson
  20. Spargo
  21. Bedford
  22. OMac
  23. Lockhart
  24. Hore
  25. Sparrow
  26. Jones (no idea where he goes)
  27. ANB
  28. Preuss
  29. vandenBerg (deserves to be higher, I know)
  30. Smith
  31. Rivers (hard to place the zero-one gamers, just shooting on reports/Casey form)
  32. Hunt
  33. Hibberd (harsh, maybe)
  34. Jordon
  35. Bennell (gets fit and flies up the list, like Vanders)
  36. Brown
  37. Hannan
  38. Bradtke
  39. C Wagner
  40. KK
  41. Dunkley
  42. Baker
  43. J Wagner
  44. Chandler
  45. Nietschke
Pox exercise obviously but god our depth is not good. Bottom 6 of the 22 is pretty weak still.

Last edited:

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
What’s a typical retirement age for players? Do ruckman typically play longer? Shorter?

What’s a typical retirement age for players? Do ruckman typically play longer? Shorter?
It's hard to say. Gawn has only played 120 games, so you might say that despite being 29 at years' end his body hasn't endured as much of the toll of playing at AFL level as say Dusty's, who was taken pick 3 in the same draft and has played 225 games. But then again, Dusty has less of an injury history and has always been super durable. Dean Cox and Aaron Sandilands were both getting consistent games until 33. Grundy strikes me as the type who could last until 35-36. Maxy, I'm not so sure about. He keeps getting fitter and fitter each year, but another hamstring or knee injury could end him.

Rucks should have the shortest careers of anyone I reckon given the constant jumping, landing and grappling they do but they're also tougher to replace than say a midfielder. If Jackson or Preuss come on and Gawn fades he might be eased out or moved to the forward/backlines, etc.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
This s**t is ******* tough because theres still so much pox on our list. What looked like an awesome young list after 18 looks like a journey to mediocrity list ala North.
  1. Petracca
  2. Oliver
  3. Gawn
  4. Fritsch
  5. Melksham
  6. Salem
  7. Lever
  8. Harmes
  9. May
  10. TMac
  11. Pickett
  12. Viney
  13. Jackson
  14. Langdon
  15. Weideman
  16. Jones
  17. Hannan
  18. Brayshaw
  19. Petty
  20. Jetta
  21. Tomlinson
  22. Hore
  23. Bedford
  24. Spargo
  25. Lockhart
  26. Sparrow
  27. ANB
  28. Preuss
  29. vandenBerg
  30. Smith
  31. Rivers
  32. Hunt
  33. Hibberd
  34. Jordon
  35. Bennell
  36. Brown
  37. OMac
  38. Bradtke
  39. C Wagner
  40. KK
  41. Dunkley
  42. Baker
  43. J Wagner
  44. Chandler
  45. Nietschke

This s**t is ******* tough because theres still so much pox on our list. What looked like an awesome young list after 18 looks like a journey to mediocrity list ala North.
  1. Petracca
  2. Oliver
  3. Gawn
  4. Fritsch
  5. Melksham
  6. Salem
  7. Lever
  8. Harmes
  9. May
  10. TMac
  11. Pickett
  12. Viney
  13. Jackson
  14. Langdon
  15. Weideman
  16. Jones
  17. Hannan
  18. Brayshaw
  19. Petty
  20. Jetta
  21. Tomlinson
  22. Hore
  23. Bedford
  24. Spargo
  25. Lockhart
  26. Sparrow
  27. ANB
  28. Preuss
  29. vandenBerg
  30. Smith
  31. Rivers
  32. Hunt
  33. Hibberd
  34. Jordon
  35. Bennell
  36. Brown
  37. OMac
  38. Bradtke
  39. C Wagner
  40. KK
  41. Dunkley
  42. Baker
  43. J Wagner
  44. Chandler
  45. Nietschke
top 3 pick themselves and then it gets interesting depending on peoples opinions and preferences

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
top 3 pick themselves and then it gets interesting depending on peoples opinions and preferences
Yeah, my top 9 was my must picks and then everyone else was meh. Obviously any new draftees haven't had a chance to disappoint me yet.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Surely you'd take Oliver ahead of Petracca. Already has 2 B&Fs and an AA Guernsey (should be 2) and is a year younger. I know he's got some things to work on but he's the clear #1 for me. Petracca probably 2 or 3.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Surely you'd take Oliver ahead of Petracca. Already has 2 B&Fs and an AA Guernsey (should be 2) and is a year younger. I know he's got some things to work on but he's the clear #1 for me. Petracca probably 2 or 3.
Petracca has alot more football ability though he just doesn't have the mindset to use it.
Despite what Oliver has produced at a young age I think if both reached their full peak Petracca would be a better player by quite a decent amount.

Oliver's the safer bet but Petracca is the matchwinner.

Petracca has alot more football ability though he just doesn't have the mindset to use it.
Despite what Oliver has produced at a young age I think if both reached their full peak Petracca would be a better player by quite a decent amount.

that is very Prentergast like drafting strategy there

Petracca is a more damaging player. Love Oliver and his base level of performance is higher but Petracca creates more both by hand and foot. Take Oliver out and someone like Gus or Harmes or even a Sparrow type player (bring back Tyson) is getting more midfield time to fill that void in terms of player role, though obviously not to the same standard. Take Petracca and we have no one like that and it's not easy to draft one.

This isn't a slight on Clarry and it's obviously much of a muchness, but Petracca was one of the best general forwards in the league for impact last year and was good enough in R1 with limited touches to believe he can achieve that through the middle of the ground. Clarry was good in 2019 but has stagnated, and needs to work on a few things in his game to really be an elite mid whereas Petracca has all the traits inherently.

Lineball, doesn't really matter, but that's my justification.

Basically I'd take a Petracca/Viney/Brayshaw/Harmes/Sparrow inside midfield rotation over say Oliver/Viney/Brayshaw/Harmes/Sparrow.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oliver used to consistently and creatively release players into space with his hands, now post double shoulder op he just hot potatoes it to whoever is closest. He's lost his ability to risk taking the tackle to do something creative and instead conservatively flicks it on. With his ball handling and turn of speed he could be a little less explosive version of Judd if he knew how good he was. Even when he's off he still does a lot of dirty work, tackles and gets 30 touches, but he could be so much more.

Think he will get there as he's only 22. Might end his career the best Dees player of the last couple of decades. Would draft him over Trac.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Imagine not picking Oliver for a player who maybe might 1 day become a good player. Thats like passing up on the 8 ya know ya going to have fun with and * by nights end for a shot at the 10 whos gonna leave ya with blue balls and a s**t story to tell nearly every damn time. Now i think of it its a toss of a coin for me. Nevermind play on..

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Possession numbers don't mean * all to me especially with these 2, 15 Petracca disposals in a good game for him is worth more than 30 of Oliver's last year. Unless Oliver gets back to his elite handballing then he's a taller Jack Viney and I don't think 2 of them in the same side helps us in anyway, however one of those with an elite Petracca makes us a way better side.

Viney was a monster round 1 and Oliver struggled, duh, Viney was taking all the first possession from the ruck contest which makes Oliver pretty ineffective because he doesn't move to the outside.

The best players in the comp aren't only inside mids. The only one that is too 5 that's only inside is Cripps and he's the size of a KPP which means his clearances are ultra effective as he draws 7 tacklers. He also runs with the ball more than Clarry.

Whenever footy resumes id like to see Oliver spending a quarter every game in the forward line, stuff his AA and BNF chances he needs to become more rounded.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Some eggs on some faces here aye Gysberts2Bate

that is very Prentergast like drafting strategy there
Imagine not picking Oliver for a player who maybe might 1 day become a good player. Thats like passing up on the 8 ya know ya going to have fun with and fu** by nights end for a shot at the 10 whos gonna leave ya with blue balls and a sh*t story to tell nearly every damn time. Now i think of it its a toss of a coin for me. Nevermind play on..

Back