SFNL Division 3 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Truthteller86

Debutant
Oct 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Afl Gippsland releases a statement that they are still planning to start around May 31. They are just waiting for May 11 when the government may reduce the lockdown. They are already talking to all cricket leagues about grounds etc so both sports can go ahead. Think there will be a few with egg on their face on here if it gets up and going. Just a bit of common sense and we will get some footy in.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Afl Gippsland releases a statement that they are still planning to start around May 31. They are just waiting for May 11 when the government may reduce the lockdown. They are already talking to all cricket leagues about grounds etc so both sports can go ahead. Think there will be a few with egg on their face on here if it gets up and going. Just a bit of common sense and we will get some footy in.

If you play footy finals in October it will only effect a small number of cricket venues. You would think that the cricket fixtures could be set up with the clubs effected by footy finals they play their early games away and the home games lost later in the cricket season.BUT still think footy should be called off,how many of the club sponsors will be able to support footy clubs in 2020.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you play footy finals in October it will only effect a small number of cricket venues. You would think that the cricket fixtures could be set up with the clubs effected by footy finals they play their early games away and the home games lost later in the cricket season.BUT still think footy should be called off,how many of the club sponsors will be able to support footy clubs in 2020.

Look after the sponsors - all players to play for free.

2s Hack

All Australian
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Here's what I can see happening & not just in division 3. Yes yes more negativity.
just say the season does get up and running in June & everyone plays each other once. With no income for clubs until then some clubs will struggle to afford to pay for their new recruits. History tells us that quality players will not play for nothing. Clearances to clubs by June 30 that are flushed I believe will be high. How many forfeits will we see in the reserves when clubs are struggling to field 2 teams if that occurs?

blueblood005

Senior List
Apr 16, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Here's what I can see happening & not just in division 3. Yes yes more negativity.
just say the season does get up and running in June & everyone plays each other once. With no income for clubs until then some clubs will struggle to afford to pay for their new recruits. History tells us that quality players will not play for nothing. Clearances to clubs by June 30 that are flushed I believe will be high. How many forfeits will we see in the reserves when clubs are struggling to field 2 teams if that occurs?

Personally I can’t see a team struggling for numbers in a 9 game season when everyone is clearly really missing it. If a recruit still refuses to play for free or for a minimum dollar (After what has happened to Australia)- then he isn’t worth having at your club imo. Now is the time we see who your true clubman are.

2s Hack

All Australian
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Personally I can’t see a team struggling for numbers in a 9 game season when everyone is clearly really missing it. If a recruit still refuses to play for free or for a minimum dollar (After what has happened to Australia)- then he isn’t worth having at your club imo. Now is the time we see who your true clubman are.
Blokes will just have the year off

tigertime1111

Rookie
Nov 9, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I actually think the complete opposite of what you are saying will happen. Blokes and chicks will be jumping out of their skins if a 9 game season gets going. Forget about money people just want some normality back and to get around their mates again. Plenty of merit in a 9 game season I actually think it’ll be super exciting if it gets up and going! Fingers crossed!

blueblood005

Senior List
Apr 16, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I actually think the complete opposite of what you are saying will happen. Blokes and chicks will be jumping out of their skins if a 9 game season gets going. Forget about money people just want some normality back and to get around their mates again. Plenty of merit in a 9 game season I actually think it’ll be super exciting if it gets up and going! Fingers crossed!

I agree. Can’t see anyone saying “na put a line through half a season”. Everyone is sick of being indoors and want to play footy

RockliffisGod

Senior List
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lyndale Football Club
I agree. Can’t see anyone saying “na put a line through half a season”. Everyone is sick of being indoors and want to play footy

People will be keen to play footy but I think you also have to consider if they are willing and able to pay playing fees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RockliffisGod

Senior List
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lyndale Football Club
Wouldn’t it make sense to half that as well? I think it’s 450 atm for a full season so 225? Do you think they would still charge in full? Seems unfair if so

How many people are going to afford 225? There would be people out there with young families or have been stood down.
When the restrictions lift are they going to pay their way? Being involved pretty heavily on a committee level I would say not.

Dec 18, 2013
Leaning against the boundary fence
AFL Club
Carlton

Reserves could well be non-compulsory for at least this year so that we can get as many clubs back and functioning.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

I agree but No.1 are the survival of our clubs and at this stage I think half a season our clubs will be worse off finance wise.Just look at how many clubs are supported by pubs and if they remain closed. Also would also mean club social clubs will remain closed to so no club functions could be run even if footy played.BUT would seriously consider getting juniors up and going in the last part of the season including Aus kick if allowed.

2s Hack

All Australian
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I agree but No.1 are the survival of our clubs and at this stage I think half a season our clubs will be worse off finance wise.Just look at how many clubs are supported by pubs and if they remain closed. Also would also mean club social clubs will remain closed to so no club functions could be run even if footy played.BUT would seriously consider getting juniors up and going in the last part of the season including Aus kick if allowed.
How many people are going to complain when clubs start manning the gate and charge, any club that can will have to

If restrictions are eased the likelihood of juniors & auskick getting up & running would be even less than local senior footy as most Auskicks alone are 250 participants + one parent at least dropping off or watching

Same with junior footy. 2 games going on at once with players & officials is 100+ alone without even considering 2 parents or significant others watching.
then there's the crossover for the next game from half time onwards

I think we should be resigned to the fact season is done & dusted

Some already run a gate but its free entry for members of opposition club so how much does a club make off the gate anyway

doom & gloom

Rookie
Nov 20, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast

If restrictions are eased the likelihood of juniors & auskick getting up & running would be even less than local senior footy as most Auskicks alone are 250 participants + one parent at least dropping off or watching

Same with junior footy. 2 games going on at once with players & officials is 100+ alone without even considering 2 parents or significant others watching.
then there's the crossover for the next game from half time onwards

I think we should be resigned to the fact season is done & dusted

Some already run a gate but its free entry for members of opposition club so how much does a club make off the gate anyway

doom & gloom

Here's how a solution could work for senior footy. This is all ASSUMING there is a gathering limit of 500 which would not include players & officials.

1. All games are held at the 7 fenced finals venues (8 if the far wing at Highett could be fenced), with double headers over Saturday & Sunday if necessary and include those clubs whose venues are being used (Springy, Heatherton, Keysborough etc)
2. Make the games FULLY TICKETED via a booking aggency - perhaps Ticketmaster would do it FOC as part of their AFL deal
3. Set entry prices at $5 flat - that would generate up to $2500 which would go towards the direct game costs
4. Canteen and bar revenue & stock are shared between the clubs on the day

I would think the SFL will need a 9 game H&A season given the higher number of Clubs in Div 1 and 2. If we could get a start by the start of June, that would have 9 weeks ending in mid August then 3-4 weeks of Finals which hopefully would not adversely affect cricket Clubs. Councils would have to grant longer winter tenancies to footy clubs though

Not ideal with this crazy new world order, but its better than no local footy. We obviously ain't be going to see any AFL live...

blueblood005

Senior List
Apr 16, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
There’s a couple articles today - one about why we should be optimistic about a season going ahead and then one about a potential road block for a season to go ahead (herald sun I think). Can anyone find these and post them in here? Legit cannot believe there is still a paywall on local footy articles

Truthteller86

Debutant
Oct 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
All the negativity on this page about footy not starting back. What do you all have to say after the government announcements today. Looking more and more likely there will be footy back soon.

Billy Blogs

Senior List
Sep 14, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
All the negativity on this page about footy not starting back. What do you all have to say after the government announcements today. Looking more and more likely there will be footy back soon. What was said today that makes you think LOCAL footy will be back any time soon

Back