Lachie Hunter - Alleged bloody idiot

Remove this Banner Ad

Can i just say something. Yes he stuffed up ok and should be banned for minimum 5+ weeks by the club.

Iv always known of Hunter tobe a party boy and part of the rat pack off the feild. however on the feild he is a great team player and leader.

Surely you dont put a bloke like that as a risky Vice captain when you have many other credentialed candidate's for the job ?

or have i missed something?
It shocked me right from the start when Hunter was named VC. At no point have I ever got the impression he's a mature leader. He wasn't exactly on the Dahlhaus/Stringer/Libba/Biggs level, but he also never screamed "leadership". Mitch Wallis was given a disservice when he wasn't given the VC. He has been my pick for Captain for years now. I knew he wouldn't follow Wood since Bont was being prepped for years for the role, but I firmly believe Wallis should have been our VC in the first place when Bont was named Captain. This just confirms that for me.

On the topic of drink driving, I am so ******* sick of clubs sweeping this type of shitty behaviour under the rug, and passing it off as "oh he was stressed/depressed/whatever else". Tell that to the countless people around Australia who have lost a loved one to drink driving. Liam Ryan's incident disappeared from the news within days. Hodge seemed to escape ongoing criticism for his incident too. It's about time it stopped. I hate the lens being on our club, but if that's what it takes for this toxic attitude towards footy players being above the law to stop, then so be it.
  • Hunter should be dropped as Vice Captain immediately, replaced by either Wood or Wallis. Not Dunkley, he's too young and only been recognised as a leader in the last 12 months. It needs to be Wood or Wallis.
  • Hunter should be copping an enormous financial penalty from the club. Whatever the maximum amount allowed by the AFLPA. Pass it on to one of our affiliated charities.
  • Hunter should be volunteering for community service work, chatting with schools about not doing stupid s**t with alcohol, that kind of stuff. Make him earn his reputation back, don't just let it slide.
That's just a start. Honestly he's lucky he's not being kicked to the curb like Stringer was, because I wouldn't exactly feel sorry for him if that were the case (even though I know it wouldn't be)
Part of being a leader is being able to connect with different types of people. Maybe Bevo looked at Bont and thought we need someone who is a bit different personality-wise to support him and connect with those players that Bont might not have as tight of a relationship with.
Luke Hodge would be widely regarded as one of the best captains of the modern era and has had his fair share of slips (drink driving as well) because he was able to connect with such a wide variety of people

Or it hints that he’s stupid, immature and panicked.

He’s 25, this is not an 18 year old kid. He’s an adult, he’s royally f***** up and he needs to cop his full whack.

It’s unacceptable at the best of times let alone when we’re all being told to stay home and only go out for essentials. Going out and getting completely s***faced, driving home and then smashing into a bunch of innocent people’s cars is the behaviour of a complete p****.

The club and or Hunter cannot come out with the feeble ‘tired, bad decisions, mental health etc etc’ excuse. Not going to wash.

Dead set selfish idiot. PG is staying fairly tight lipped at this stage but privately he'd be livid.

Let's wait for the full story but at this stage it's a shocking look and terrible for the club's image.

Dead set selfish idiot. PG is staying fairly tight lipped at this stage but privately he'd be livid.

Let's wait for the full story but at this stage it's a shocking look and terrible for the club's image.

Agreed. A really dumb thing for anyone to do, irrespective of what they do for a living.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He’s 25, this is not an 18 year old kid. He’s an adult, he’s royally f***** up and he needs to cop his full whack.

It’s unacceptable at the best of times let alone when we’re all being told to stay home and only go out for essentials. Going out and getting completely s***faced, driving home and then smashing into a bunch of innocent people’s cars is the behaviour of a complete p****.

The club and or Hunter cannot come out with the feeble ‘tired, bad decisions, mental health etc etc’ excuse. Not going to wash.
I completely agree. I was replying to the comment about why he ‘fled’ and that Hunter may have left the scene to hide something even worse ie drugs, which is just pure speculation.

Pretty sure he wasn't over the limit then leave the scene.

Hate to say it but the last player to do something of this variety was..... Ben Cousins.
Didn’t a Port Adelaide player do very similar?

Edit; Jarman Impey hit 4 cars and fled. Not sure if he had alcohol in his system or anything else but he was at a party.

Lmao who gives a fu**
What he does in his personal life is his business not ours
He hit five parked cars, I wonder how this interaction affected those people ? I am going
to guess not in a positive way, 0.123 is pretty bad could have easily been a Darren
Millane type incident as well. He was a local from my area and we did the Sugar Shack,
Boardwalk then onto the Tunnel loop almost weekly back then, that could have been us
just as easily as we gave it a fair nudge back before drink driving was a huge issue.

Or it hints that he’s stupid, immature and panicked.

Nah. It strikes me as pretty calculating.

He as is reported left after telling a couple of people in the street (who may or may not have been the owners of the damaged cars) what had happened and then scuttled out of there before the police inevitably arrived on the scene.

Its instructive that he didn't go home where police would've expected him to be, but to a friends house where they were able to track him down a couple of hours later.

By that time he'd continued to drink clearly believing the urban myth that police could not subject him to a breath test after the event because he'd had a couple more only 'to calm his nerves' of course.

This almost certainly made any analysis, penalty and aftermath infinitely worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Smith is an interesting one. I don’t like to base perceptions of people from social media but I felt like Baz had a really genuine humbleness when he arrived at the club, but if you didn’t know much about the guy you could be forgiven for thinking he’s on pretty good terms with himself nowadays. Seems optically like he’s gotten a bit wrapped up in the AFL star world. Again, I could be wrong.

Those were the days when you heard the words "premiership player has..." and you went few, thank god it's not one of our players.

This could be a $500k cost to Lachie. I've had big nights, woken up in the wrong/different country (a few times!) but not to this level.

Why $500k?
$150k for the damage, lawyers , fines, ubers - Insurance companies have some small print for alleged drink drivers
$100k for match payments/increments/contract renewal
$250k for personal sponsorship/media commitments/post football

With regard to is this the best or worst time to have this incident I think it's not too bad. It will be wall to wall in the media for the next 48 hours filling the vacuum but it would have been that anyway. What we have lost is the Bont and other players being door-stopped, Bevo not having to answer questions about Lachie in post match conferences and multiple film crews at training. Once footy is back, there will be so much excitement by the media that it will be "Lachie who?"

What the club need to do is make sure Lachie is in a safe place and that all other players are asked how they are travelling mentally. The state of the car internally suggests that Lachie may not be coping all that well. As a club, we need to be strong about this. I am not certain what the AFLPA maximum for this is but if this is anything less than a 17 game season then perhaps Lachie has played his only game for 2020.

Last edited:
Hunter should be stripped of the vice captaincy and given a significant fine and suspension by the club anything less than that is just unacceptable.

His actions were stupid and selfish no matter the current social situation we are in.

He also can not remain vice captain when whether he was drunk or not he involves a younger teammate in the situation by getting that teammate to come and get him and help him flee the scene of an accident. Complete an utter crap from a person in a leadership position.

Bailey Smith is an interesting one. I don’t like to base perceptions of people from social media but I felt like Baz had a really genuine humbleness when he arrived at the club, but if you didn’t know much about the guy you could be forgiven for thinking he’s on pretty good terms with himself nowadays. Seems optically like he’s gotten a bit wrapped up in the AFL star world. Again, I could be wrong.

He speaks an alien language in his Instagram comments.

Hunter should be stripped of the vice captaincy and given a significant fine and suspension by the club anything less than that is just unacceptable.

His actions were stupid and selfish no matter the current social situation we are in.

He also can not remain vice captain when whether he was drunk or not he involves a younger teammate in the situation by getting that teammate to come and get him and help him flee the scene of an accident. Complete an utter crap from a person in a leadership position.
Doesn’t sound like Smith came and got him, it sounds like he was already with him. One of the cars hit was allegedly Smiths girlfriends parents.

Doesn’t sound like Smith came and got him, it sounds like he was already with him. One of the cars hit was allegedly Smiths girlfriends parents.

Still rather than show leadership and wait for the police and face up to his idiocy he gets a second year player to drive him not home or to the police station but to another teammates house so he can drink more. Not a single degree of leadership in any of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back