Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe the computer took a mark two yards from goal and then kicked a sure fire six pointer out on the full.

Can't believe the computer took a mark two yards from goal and then kicked a sure fire six pointer out on the full.

I am fairly convinced that for the AI there is zero correlation between kick difficulty and the outcome. I've seen as many misses from point blank range as I've seen 60 metre under pressure snaps from the boundary go in.

Also an infuriating game design decision: having the player positioning reset after a replay. A couple of times I had players streaming towards goal unattended but there was a replay shown of my mark, and after the replay everyone had magically manned up.

Also an infuriating game design decision: having the player positioning reset after a replay. A couple of times I had players streaming towards goal unattended but there was a replay shown of my mark, and after the replay everyone had magically manned up.
Replays, and any stoppage (behinds, free kicks etc). I’ve suggested this to them as well... would be awesome to catch the opposition team off guard with a quick kick in, or quick movement from frees...

I agree 100%. I made a list and it was never viewed or acknowledged by WW through methods like email or dm their evo group. It was only because Sebastian Giompaolo appeared here that it was seen at all.
I put together individual videos of bugs I found, and got acknowledgement from them that the videos are helpful. (And I can also see tHat they’ve definitely viewed them through the YouTube statistics as the videos are unlisted and only they have the links).
They would need to know how to reproduce the issues easily... which is why I invested some time for the videos, figuring out what did what when I saw the issues.

Last edited:
[
I put together individual videos of bugs I found, and got acknowledgement from them that the videos are helpful. (And I can also see tHat they’ve definitely viewed them through the YouTube statistics as the videos are unlisted and only they have the links).
They would need to know how to reproduce the issues easily... which is why I invested some time for the videos, figuring out what did what when I saw the issues.

Given what Seb said it still has great value as it is. From a personal level that's true particularly if its common but for the scope of a bigfooty compilation it is unlikely most users would do so I can only describe the best I can from the post. (although since then a few have).

From who I have spoken to it is inconsistent regaurdless what type of data is provided. I'm glad they looked at yours.

I still think they should make it clear what is the best place to send and the exact format they want. I am more than willing.

Replays, and any stoppage (behinds, free kicks etc). I’ve suggested this to them as well... would be awesome to catch the opposition team off guard with a quick kick in, or quick movement from frees...
Is there no advantage in the game? I've had a few plays where I've had players running into goal and instead it came back for a free kick. I saw that Right stick is meant to elect not to take advantage, but I don't think I've ever been granted an advantage.

Or is right stick opting to take advantage instead?

People worrying about adjusting player ratings when genuine vfl quality players dominate the votes.
How do they butcher this up so badly, surely some basic formula based on stats would go better than whatever garbage it currently does.

I am fairly convinced that for the AI there is zero correlation between kick difficulty and the outcome. I've seen as many misses from point blank range as I've seen 60 metre under pressure snaps from the boundary go in.

Doesn't need to be a replay. Even just a free kick does it. Often get a free kick given and see a loose man only to have the game to a fade wipe and reset everyone.

Interesting one from last night. Had Boak all sorts of caught. 2 players go to tackled him at almost the same time, he shrugs one, then is almost immediately tackled by the second. Unfortunately I didn't count on him being a Jedi, or samurai, or whatever it is where you can kick faster than the speed of light. To the untrained eye it looks like the ball just levitates away from his chest through the goals for a 6 pointer when, if you didn't know any better, you'd say it more looked like he was tackled cold before he could even kick it, and definitely before he could charge it that much.

Doesn't need to be a replay. Even just a free kick does it. Often get a free kick given and see a loose man only to have the game to a fade wipe and reset everyone.

I'm trying to remember if AFL Live 1 reset (warped players into) positions after a free kick. I feel like I can definitely remember there being a transition, just not sure on the warping/resetting of positions. Pretty common in sports games, but yeah obviously a more fluid transition in play would be nice. Its something that soccer games (FIFA/PES) deal better with these days, depending on the scenario if the ball is still nearby, ie. quickly taken free kicks and/or throw-ins are allowed without a screen transition/player warp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm trying to remember if AFL Live 1 reset (warped players into) positions after a free kick. I feel like I can definitely remember there being a transition, just not sure on the warping/resetting of positions. Pretty common in sports games, but yeah obviously a more fluid transition in play would be nice. Its something that soccer games (FIFA/PES) deal better with these days, depending on the scenario if the ball is still nearby, ie. quickly taken free kicks and/or throw-ins are allowed without a screen transition/player warp.

Yeah, most sports games will reset player positioning in a wipe*, otherwise you'd have too wait to long for players holding up play waiting for guys to get in position, and you'd have an increased number of professional fouls (like the real game), for continuity you do try to keep the wipes to a minimum if possible. Some sports are better for it than others of course, e.g. Tennis after a point.

We allowed replays to be turned off in AFL Live, and tried to make it a fluid as possible to maintain momentum with playing on from free kicks/marks without a wipe/reset - continuity is a huge part of footy, you get someone out of position, or a mismatch - you want to use it.

*(and also do memory garbage collection, catch up background tasks, etc. allowing the game to catch a breath :) )

Yeah, most sports games will reset player positioning in a wipe*, otherwise you'd have to wait to long for players holding up play waiting for guys to get in position, and you'd have an increased number of professional fouls (like the real game), for continuity you do try to keep the wipes to a minimum if possible. Some sports are better for it than others of course, e.g. Tennis after a point.

We allowed replays to be turned off in AFL Live, and tried to make it a fluid as possible to maintain momentum with playing on from free kicks/marks without a wipe/reset - continuity is a huge part of footy, you get someone out of position, or a mismatch - you want to use it.

*(and also do memory garbage collection, catch up background tasks, etc. allowing the game to catch a breath :) )

I don't mind resetting after a set play because that's what happens in reality and indeed in a video game no one wants to want 10-15 seconds for players to get into position.

Resetting after a replay seems poor though. At least you can turn them off here too though.

Having a few fun games but defence is very much not fun. I remember enjoying defence in Live 1. Really working hard to tackle carefully and avoid free opposition forwards. Here that doesn't seem to matter too much. You can defend awfully and the opposition gets the ball uncontested 10 metres out and kicks it out on the full. You can also defend manically and have the opposition snap it over their head almost 55 out on the boundary for an "easy" goal. Hard to feel a sense of satisfaction then.

For now I'd say when you have the ball the game has its fun moments. Defence is a chore though. It's really just about avoiding opposition inside 50s, because they are scoring from about 80% of them without fault, and then whether it's a goal or behind seems a roll of the dice, independent of how hard the actual shot is.

... To the untrained eye it looks like the ball just levitates away from his chest through the goals for a 6 pointer when, if you didn't know any better, you'd say it more looked like he was tackled cold before he could even kick it, and definitely before he could charge it that much.

If I were to have a guess, its possible that certain kick animations (and who knows maybe this is the only one?) may be missing a blend tag (or other metadata) which sets at what point in the kicker's animation is the point he can get tackled but still get his kick away while blending into the tackle. Hence in lieu of this metadata, perhaps the ball is just getting launched at goal instantaneously like in your video, at the very beginning of the tackle anim process - and no actual blend from the kick animation to the 'tacklee' animation occurs - you only see him go straight to his 'tacklee' animation.

This may explain people posting that they saw players handballing thru goals and getting the 6 points.

But difficult to tell, these two things might just be completely separate, or issues linked to game state and input, or something.

If I were to have a guess, its possible that certain kick animations (and who knows maybe this is the only one?) may be missing a blend tag (or other metadata) which sets at what point in the kicker's animation is the point he can get tackled but still get his kick away while blending into the tackle. Hence in lieu of this metadata, perhaps the ball is just getting launched at goal instantaneously like in your video, at the very beginning of the tackle anim process - and no actual blend from the kick animation to the 'tacklee' animation occurs - you only see him go straight to his 'tacklee' animation.

This may explain people posting that they saw players handballing thru goals and getting the 6 points.

But difficult to tell, these two things might just be completely separate, or issues linked to game state and input, or something.

Not too sure how many here are going to follow industry terms like "Game State" etc. - Just looks like a bug they need to get fixed to me ;)

Downloading for the Switch now. I’m a little behind on this thread, is there somewhere with the best recommended sliders? Thanks

Try post #2598 and #2593 on the previous page as a starting point.

Yeah, most sports games will reset player positioning in a wipe*, otherwise you'd have too wait to long for players holding up play waiting for guys to get in position, and you'd have an increased number of professional fouls (like the real game), for continuity you do try to keep the wipes to a minimum if possible. Some sports are better for it than others of course, e.g. Tennis after a point.

maybe it’d be better if there was position extrapolation in the wipe, instead of a reset.
I.e where WOULD each player have run to in the time it would’ve taken to get the ball back.

maybe it’d be better if there was position extrapolation in the wipe, instead of a reset.
I.e where WOULD each player have run to in the time it would’ve taken to get the ball back.

Good idea, but in that case, IMO, you might as well just leave them running underneath the wipe as you'd still have enough savings in not rendering them on the screen. Best to limit wipes to after scoring, end of quarter. (On second thoughts, you'd probably have complaints as to where players ended up, could be harsh control wise to come back from the wipe and have to play immidiately.)

Had a similar experience. I had a set shot about 10m out on an angle. Half way through the kick (kick meter already completed and well in the green) I paused due to a phone call. When I came back the camera had reset and a certain goal was a point due to the camera reset

People worrying about adjusting player ratings when genuine vfl quality players dominate the votes.
How do they butcher this up so badly, surely some basic formula based on stats would go better than whatever garbage it currently does.

One of my bugbears too. I would have a lot less players in the 90's and 80's, a lot more in the 70's and low 80's and drop all the players below this a fair few points. Even the players I have seen in the player ratings thread look too high to me. There just isn't enough disparity between a good player and a VFL player who won't get an AFL game this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back