Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

May be different but when I play West Coast it's "Eagles!" *clap clap clap* "Eagles!" *clap clap clap* "Eagles!"

It does sound a touch like 'Freo' but it's definitely 'Eagles' to my ear.

It changes partway through the game. It starts off as Eagles, but definitely changes to a completely different Freo chant.

May be different but when I play West Coast it's "Eagles!" *clap clap clap* "Eagles!" *clap clap clap* "Eagles!"

It does sound a touch like 'Freo' but it's definitely 'Eagles' to my ear.
It's Eagles... No way do I play to 'loserville'

It's not unfair at all to expect that the games should be a lot further along than they are, especially given how many attempts they've had. These games, whilst playable and somewhat enjoyable, are definitely sub-par.

Career mode has barely changed from AFLL2. It's still got the same injury bugs, ruck bugs, and canned emails that were always there. We get it, their best player is always the in form player, and my player with 7 weeks still to go with a fractured face wants to play this week.

The expectation of Fifa/2K that we see from the Facebook nuffies is clearly over the top. But Evolution or FIFA aren't the only two options. There is a LOT of ground in between. It's very reasonable to expect something of higher quality than what we're getting while accepting it isn't going to be a AAA game.
And talking of AAA there're very few 'truly' polished sports titles. MLB the show is one series I can say is polished and then the NHL series from 18, surprisingly by EAsports. The NBA 2K series I have played but not enough to warrent an opinion... Sports titles aren't without their problems it seems.

Good read. Very well thought out article that a lot of the Facebook crowd would do well to read.

One small correction though, "Is the decision to release the game early without a patch to blame?" The game does already have a patch. Not a substantial one, and one that no one really knows what it fixed, but it does have one. If you downloaded digitally you get the latest version automatically but anyone with a disc version would've seen it download v1.01 when they threw the disc in.

But good write up overall. I particularly like the part about EA. You can bet some of the Facebook nuffies that love to sit there and say s**t like "Just get EA to make it" are the same ones that complain non-stop about other EA games/microtransactions.
To clarify I'm referring to the actual day one launch product. As far as I know there wasn't a patch. If there was I was never informed about it when receiving review code.

Also thanks for reading and the kind words!

For those who think a big dev and matching budget like 2K is the guaranteed solution to all these issues just need to play their latest instalment of WWE - 2K20.
After year on year of gradual improvement (at a rate of diminishing returns and annoying omissions from previous years), they delivered what could go down as the most broken and unplayable top tier sports game in history.

You don’t even need to have played past wwe games, or even to enjoy wwe, to see just how stuffed the game is. When released (and for many months after), there was a game breaking bug where all wrestlers would get possessed bungy-legs. Hilarious to watch others melting over, but insane that a game like that can be released in this day and age.

Compared to wwe 2k20, Evo 2 is a AAA release!

edit: enjoy a quick sample of what could be the most broken game release in gaming history (at least by a big developer, who is on their 7th iteration of said game...)

NSFW at 15sec...

Last edited:
For those who think a big dev and matching budget like 2K is the guaranteed solution to all these issues just need to play their latest instalment of WWE - 2K20.
After year on year of gradual improvement (at a rate of diminishing returns and annoying omissions from previous years), they delivered what could go down as the most broken and unplayable top tier sports game in history.

You don’t even need to have played past wwe games, or even to enjoy wwe, to see just how stuffed the game is. When released (and for many months after), there was a game breaking bug where all wrestlers would get possessed bungy-legs. Hilarious to watch others melting over, but insane that a game like that can be released in this day and age.

Wow, you're not wrong:

Is WWE 2k20 worth getting?
WWE 2K20 is currently sitting on a 'Mostly Negative' rating on Steam, and it's not because wrestling is no longer cool (it's still very cool). No, it seems the latest instalment in 2K Games' wrestling series is just a terrible video game, and there's a wealth of video evidence out there to prove it.
[/uote]

I heard the quality of that game was due to departure of a few long time devs such as Yuke and 2K didn’t bother giving them remainder support casuing devs to quit.

They then slashed 2021 budget in half for the next one.

Meanwhile nb2k20 is recieving lesser reviews than in the past due to mirco transactions.

They don’t have their s**t together

(Log in to remove this ad.)

edit: enjoy a quick sample of what could be the most broken game release in gaming history (at least by a big developer, who is on their 7th iteration of said game...)

NSFW at 15sec...

Compare this to our WWE 2k20 thread. If it were a game by an Australian developer then we'd have surely had a lot more than a single page of replies

Seems so many basic mistakes in this game, so sad.
You can really feel the lack of advanced knowledge about AFL coming out in the product. I think somebody once pointed out that they're all rugby guys and it kind of shows.

Some of the errors are things that people who know footy just wouldn't ever make, like calling free kicks "penalties". It's not technically wrong, but no actual footy fan would ever call it a "high tackle penalty". There are just those little things that creep in that remind you that footy brains aren't making the game.

You can really feel the lack of advanced knowledge about AFL coming out in the product. I think somebody once pointed out that they're all rugby guys and it kind of shows.

Some of the errors are things that people who know footy just wouldn't ever make, like calling free kicks "penalties". It's not technically wrong, but no actual footy fan would ever call it a "high tackle penalty". There are just those little things that creep in that remind you that footy brains aren't making the game.

Telling then that they got a streamer as what seems to be a project lead.

To clarify I'm referring to the actual day one launch product. As far as I know there wasn't a patch. If there was I was never informed about it when receiving review code.

Review codes won't tell you of a patch, it's always the latest version on PSN/XBLA. To know if there's a patch, look to the version number.

The PS4 was patched as soon as I put the disk in, to version 1.01. I gave that disk away to someone else at BA and subsequently purchased from the PS4 Store which downloaded V1.01 without the need to separately patch.

The calling of the term 'penalties' maybe an attempt to break into the American market... Free in the states means something different.

Review codes won't tell you of a patch, it's always the latest version on PSN/XBLA. To know if there's a patch, look to the version number.

The PS4 was patched as soon as I put the disk in, to version 1.01. I gave that disk away to someone else at BA and subsequently purchased from the PS4 Store which downloaded V1.01 without the need to separately patch.
So you're saying the butler did it... ?

I can't see this being patched for a while due to the current world environment.

There was.

So you're saying the butler did it... ?

I can't see this being patched for a while due to the current world environment.

Not sure it was the butler, but someone did it - the version on my PS4 is V1.01, it's been patched :)

Everyone at Big Ant has been working from home for weeks now, I believe the same is true for WW.

Telling then that they got a streamer as what seems to be a project lead.

I'd pretty sure Sebastian Giompaolo would not be a fan of that video interview, it's pretty telling and pretty raw, I am sure Dean also regrets the amount of credit he took for the game (that's for him to say, but I think he got a bit excited).

I think any footy fan would be excited to work on a "big budget" AFL game, even if you had such trepidations. The fact that it took 5 iterations for someone with a bit of footy knowledge to inform WW that "no, players are not specifically a 'left back pocket' or a 'right back pocket' type player" says a bit IMO.

Also in one of the gameplay demo videos with Dean and the lead game designer, the latter referred to "free kicks" as "penalties"...

Also I believe "out of bounds on the full" is given as "deliberate out of bounds". Not only is this wrong, but it goes against an entire history of AFL video gaming

1587397155811.png

I'm sure Dean would shake his head at these things but as a QA guy (I think) you only have so much power.

I forgot.... BigAntStudios is your favourite umpire whistle after a goal still in the game? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

From watching Dean's videos I'd be 99% confident that the improvements in the player positioning (i.e more advanced than just 18 pairs of players around the ground) would have been driven by him, so full credit to him! The gameplay is still clunky and the AI decision making is still poor, but you can now get more "actual footy" plays like Pagan's Paddock and switches of play and being caught on a fast turnover and I doubt that would be in the game without Dean's input.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back