Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who think a big dev and matching budget like 2K is the guaranteed solution to all these issues just need to play their latest instalment of WWE - 2K20.
After year on year of gradual improvement (at a rate of diminishing returns and annoying omissions from previous years), they delivered what could go down as the most broken and unplayable top tier sports game in history.

You don’t even need to have played past wwe games, or even to enjoy wwe, to see just how stuffed the game is. When released (and for many months after), there was a game breaking bug where all wrestlers would get possessed bungy-legs. Hilarious to watch others melting over, but insane that a game like that can be released in this day and age.

Compared to wwe 2k20, Evo 2 is a AAA release!

edit: enjoy a quick sample of what could be the most broken game release in gaming history (at least by a big developer, who is on their 7th iteration of said game...)

NSFW at 15sec...

The worst part is that it was still more playable than Evolution 2.

They also didn't have the delay that Evolution 2 got despite the issues between Yukes and 2k.

It was also torn to shreds far worse than Evolution 2 has been.

Exactly what I'm in the process of doing. There needs to be a larger spread in ratings to really make it feel like there's a difference between the elite players and a fringe player.
View attachment 861845
This is a graph of where my ratings are going to be compared to what is currently in the game. Hopefully it also adds a degree of difficulty as now entire teams aren't going to be full of players rated 80+. I can tell people are going to get salty about their boy now being rated 71ovr instead of 85ovr though!
This is also going to improve the career mode difficulty as elite players are harder to come by.
Hopefully be finished up in a week or 2.

Sounds great. I like your spread. The only way this could be better (and really, it's what WW should have done) is have a person who is all over each team rate their own team within guidelines. It sounds bad but it's how Football Manager does their games. Football Manager is actually used by professional teams due to their excellent scouting network. I've actually done this research/scouting for them in the past so am well aware of what goes into it. Soccer is a lot more vaired too - how do you compare Leionel Messi to some pleb playing 7th tier in England? Sports Interactive (developers of Football Manager) have done it brilliantly for years with fans of teams and there should be no reason WW couldn't do the same with Australian Rules Football fans given specific guidelines.

As long as the butler serves my beer before being taken away I'm not fussed.

Working from home... bet theyr'e on their games consoles playing Cricket 19?

Question, and don't shoot me down... With the amazing customisation options of cricket 19, why don't you create AFL live for the current market but add in the customisation so you can avoid the licences? Leaving all the kits for the community to create? It works for the Cricket very well.

Because as much as people like making fun of Tru Blu mentioning sales figures, and a few comments implying WW pitched cheaper development costs than Big Ant, a passion project like this, competig against a fully licensed product, would be unprofitable and therefore unfeasible.

Exactly what I'm in the process of doing. There needs to be a larger spread in ratings to really make it feel like there's a difference between the elite players and a fringe player.
View attachment 861845
This is a graph of where my ratings are going to be compared to what is currently in the game. Hopefully it also adds a degree of difficulty as now entire teams aren't going to be full of players rated 80+. I can tell people are going to get salty about their boy now being rated 71ovr instead of 85ovr though!
This is also going to improve the career mode difficulty as elite players are harder to come by.

Great work. It's crazy that there can be considered more than 150 players worthy of an 85+ rating in the AFL. You've rightly displayed there wouldn't even be half that number.

Small bug noticed yesterday in coach career mode.
In my office inbox after a game it showed one player injured and going to be out for some weeks. In the very same week it has email from same player to coach looking for opportunity as if he been playing in reserves team all this time...lol

Happened about two rounds in a row,

Happens heaps to me!

Another few I have encountered in my coaching career:

- My finances got out of hand in the early part of the season, as I had every staff member on a rating of 10, so was spending too much money and not making enough back as a profit. After fixing this and making 5 million profit come the end of the season, week after week I was warned my finances were getting out of hand when they weren't.
- S.Walsh was suspended for two weeks, yet I was still able to play him.
- I have had 4 players do their achilles over the course of a season, and 2 with facial fractures. Pretty rare injuries that seem to be super common in-game.

But the best was in the trade period:

- Gold Coast offered me Matt Rowell for Josh Honey, who is on Carlton's rookie list. Ultimate facepalm. 🤦‍♂️
- They then offered me Noah Anderson and Josh Corbett for Fraser Phillips (Rookie) and Sam Ramsay (Pick 47). :drunk:

Has anyone else been offered some disproportionate, wacky trades? :moustache:

Because as much as people like making fun of Tru Blu mentioning sales figures, and a few comments implying WW pitched cheaper development costs than Big Ant, a passion project like this, competig against a fully licensed product, would be unprofitable and therefore unfeasible.
Agreed. We're the minority. As sad as it is, the facebook masses are the majority and they wouldn't touch an unlicensed AFL game. No matter how much better it was. If they see a generic title next to AFL, they're going AFL.

It kind of works/worked in cricket because (until the kit designer came in) their kits are pretty generic. They have a new design each year so having the Sri Lankans in a slightly different design of blue and yellow isn't as jarring as seeing the Bombers in a different home strip for the first time ever.

Cricket fans were also used to it, as the majority of teams had been unlicensed since the early 2000's. But even today you still see memes taking the piss out of those games that had unlicensed names. Cricket also has a much wider community to draw from of people willing to put in their own time to get the rosters correct for everyone else to download.

Happens heaps to me!

Another few I have encountered in my coaching career:

- My finances got out of hand in the early part of the season, as I had every staff member on a rating of 10, so was spending too much money and not making enough back as a profit. After fixing this and making 5 million profit come the end of the season, week after week I was warned my finances were getting out of hand when they weren't.
- S.Walsh was suspended for two weeks, yet I was still able to play him.
- I have had 4 players do their achilles over the course of a season, and 2 with facial fractures. Pretty rare injuries that seem to be super common in-game.

But the best was in the trade period:

- Gold Coast offered me Matt Rowell for Josh Honey, who is on Carlton's rookie list. Ultimate facepalm. 🤦‍♂️
- They then offered me Noah Anderson and Josh Corbett for Fraser Phillips (Rookie) and Sam Ramsay (Pick 47). :drunk:

Has anyone else been offered some disproportionate, wacky trades? :moustache:
I was working on a three team trade between Freo, Geelong and Gold Coast, I offered the trade and Gold Coast counter offered the exact same trade but altered it so they gave up nothing 😂😂

I have not got to trades yet, but it sounds totally random by a few people here. I won't bother taking it seriously to simulate getting good at it knowing there is no thought put into it by developers.

I am happy enough just making a custom team of my own but looks like club finances, trading, injuries and suspensions are not to be taken as important if I want to keep enjoying playing games. At this stage I more worried I spend time on a season and the ladder is not correct. If that happens there no point even trying to simulate seasons and just playing singe matches. First season I played that was not in coach mode I just played to get used to controls etc but was not taking season progress seriously but when did look at ladder in last round it looked like it was not accurate. I wonder if it just happened to me and anyone else has seen this. I assume it could happen in coach mode to, at this stage I 7 rounds into my first coach season and not seen ladder have me on different wins than I had, But if does it in later rounds, will not be happy, now I trying to do a real season managing my ins and outs each round.

Fair few more glitches:

- Ball gets kicked for a behind close to the behind post, behind is paid but then it’s a boundary throw in.

-ball kicked off ground for a goal and they call out on the full.

-so so so many out on the fulls from the AI when kicking in from full back.

Whenever I've received review codes and there's a patch available I've pretty much always been told.

Understood, just clarifying for people that there definitely was a zero-day patch, and for those that had the digital version of the game, that the system wouldn't explicitly tell them of it.

Just got the game last couple of days. Definitely plays differently compared to EVO 1, and EVO is really the only AFL game I've played since AFL 98 way back when (I kid you not).

On EVO 1 I got basically to unbeatable ability on Legend vs the computer (I have a satellite internet connection so never had the chance to vs other people), whereas coming into this on Legend is a totally different kettle of fish and struggled to win a game. I'm back to Veteran level on this one. Enjoying the challenge though, as on EVO 1 basically the challenge was seeing how many goals one of my players could kick or how ridiculous a score I could kick against the opposition.

Biggest adjustment for me is the controls. In EVO 1 you could just hold the Triangle (PS4) button and auto tackle all in your vicinity while also tracking the ball. Now it's all timed and you MUST press the button instead of holding it or it won't register any action. Not really a bad thing though.

At this time, yes, an unlicensed product would not be viable because the stores wouldn't stock it.

AFL Live was a passion project, we made no money from AFL Live, in fact we didn't get paid for one year of it's development - it's a long story but we were told to stop making the game but continued to make it anyway (FIFA actually has a similar story - they were told to stop making V1.0 of their game by head office at EA but kept making it :) ).

Regardless of making the game or not, we have passion for the sport, and will continue to financially support it, especially at this time. We are a Foundation Partner of the AFLW, and the major sponsor for this Thursday night, a pity it now will be a "virtual" event: (My money would be on Prespakis.)

B&F.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this time, yes, an unlicensed product would not be viable because the stores wouldn't stock it.

AFL Live was a passion project, we made no money from AFL Live, in fact we didn't get paid for one year of it's development - it's a long story but we were told to stop making the game but continued to make it anyway (FIFA actually has a similar story - they were told to stop making V1.0 of their game by head office at EA but kept making it :) ).

Regardless of making the game or not, we have passion for the sport, and will continue to financially support it, especially at this time. We are a Foundation Partner of the AFLW, and the major sponsor for this Thursday night (a pity it now will be a "virtual" event: (My money would be on Prespakis.)

View attachment 861981
Have you guys ever lobbied or considered a sales pitch to an AFL department re investment and funding?
Probably the only way a really good version of the game ever gets made.

We made no money from AFL Live

I guess that's the crux of the matter.

I mentioned this before, but I wonder if it's possible now that you've deliberately built technology for other games that can be re-used across multiple sports, like stadiums and so forth, whether you could bid more competitively next time. Assuming bridges with Tru Blu haven't been completely burned down :$

I enjoy Evo 2, and I hope the majority of the bugs are fixed, but lighting a fire under a complacent WW's arse would be nice.

You can really feel the lack of advanced knowledge about AFL coming out in the product. I think somebody once pointed out that they're all rugby guys and it kind of shows.

Some of the errors are things that people who know footy just wouldn't ever make, like calling free kicks "penalties". It's not technically wrong, but no actual footy fan would ever call it a "high tackle penalty". There are just those little things that creep in that remind you that footy brains aren't making the game.

Yeah I think getting people who have played a decent level of footy in might help the game in the future. That's one thing you can give Big Ant, they had blokes who understood the game. I'm not sure a YouTuber and a bunch of guys from Sydney really get it.

What about Robinson from the Lions? He seems pretty keen on the game and gaming in general, a few guys like that could always help.

Yeah I think getting people who have played a decent level of footy in might help the game in the future. That's one thing you can give Big Ant, they had blokes who understood the game. I'm not sure a YouTuber and a bunch of guys from Sydney really get it.

What about Robinson from the Lions? He seems pretty keen on the game and gaming in general, a few guys like that could always help.

Robbo's definitely got some very strong ideas about the game when he's not on his family friendly sessions :)

PS: I love Robbo - gutted when got kicked out of Carlton, after his rushed behind/goal mistake in the final against Richmond, he played one of the most physical and gut running second half's I've ever seen.

Yeah, couldn't do much better than a passionate footy guy and gamer, who's also still actually playing AFL.

View attachment 861845

Why are we able to upload/share custom players and guernseys to the community hub but not squads? One of the best features in a **incoming flog of dead horse** 2K career mode is the ability to download custom rosters and draft classes beforehand. Would love to just download Lenny's work before starting a coach career instead of the half-arsed effort I'll eventually be putting in.

Anyone played an online game yet.

I can't seem to find anyone. Always says searching for opponent.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Anyone played an online game yet.

I can't seem to find anyone. Always says searching for opponent.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Played one and that was enough.

• Other bloke was allowed to use an all-star custom team in ranked
  • Lag was atrocious. I'd be leading him to the ball in the back pocket, next second he has the ball and is running in to an open goal
Will try again eventually, but it was not a good experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Back