Universal Love COVID-19 Pastoral Care

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait, you guys actually made it mandatory? The police are actually doing checks?

Our state hasn't done anything, luckily our mayor has told people to stay at home and I'm good to work at home until at least May, but I'm also closing on a house May 8 and that's going right along as planned. Of all 50 states we're in last place for taking any sort of measures.

This is all in Victoria Australia, At first it was you need to stay at home and was an "honesty" system, the onus was on the individual to stay at home for two weeks. There was reports from the general public, person X isn't isolating. The police forced dedicated 500 police to spot check self isolators, the figures got worse and 15 days ago anyone returning from overseas had to stay in a hotel that was guarded. No one in no one out.

Basically the government in Australia has encouraged everyone to not go anywhere over the Easter long weekend,go home and stay there.

Wait, you guys actually made it mandatory? The police are actually doing checks?

Our state hasn't done anything, luckily our mayor has told people to stay at home and I'm good to work at home until at least May, but I'm also closing on a house May 8 and that's going right along as planned. Of all 50 states we're in last place for taking any sort of measures.
Yeah, some of the States. ie, Western Australia, South Australia, Queensland and Tasmania have closed their borders for interstate travel, let alone international travellers. You have to be deemed to be an exempt person, (too long to detail here) before they let you across the Border, Queensland has put up barriers on its major arterial roads to stop Interstaters crossing the Border. But you know what they say is the best thing about Queensland; the roads leading out of it.

Yeah, some of the States. ie, Western Australia, South Australia, Queensland and Tasmania have closed their borders for interstate travel, let alone international travellers. You have to be deemed to be an exempt person, (too long to detail here) before they let you across the Border, Queensland has put up barriers on its major arterial roads to stop Interstaters crossing the Border. But you know what they say is the best thing about Queensland; the roads leading out of it.
This is hard to argue with.

This is hard to argue with.
Daylight savings may have meant Queensland caught up by an hour but it’s still 30 years behind

WA hasnt just closed its borders its also divided it into regions so we arent even aloud to drive further than an hour from Perth without needing documents stating why you need to go into a different region.

Honestly it's actually been nice not having that dreaded feeling of having to watch Melbourne play every weekend. I always think barracking for the dees has probably taken years off my life already, but perhaps this corona altered season has added a few back on.

Go dees.

Honestly it's actually been nice not having that dreaded feeling of having to watch Melbourne play every weekend. I always think barracking for the dees has probably taken years off my life already, but perhaps this corona altered season has added a few back on.

Go dees.

I've taken up weekly 3-hour self-flagellation sessions to fill the void.

I've taken up weekly 3-hour self-flagellation sessions to fill the void.
Less painful than watching the Dees and will probably make God stop coronavirus. Double win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite a fantastic assortment of hookers and easy access to high-quality cocaine, Vegas is still the crappest place I've ever visited. Would rather a holiday in Wuhan than that miserable shithole.

Despite a fantastic assortment of hookers and easy access to high-quality cocaine, Vegas is still the crappest place I've ever visited. Would rather a holiday in Wuhan than that miserable shithole.
Only went as a 15 year old with my parents, so couldn't really indulge in its vices but it seemed to me to be the most depressing place in the world. The 1000 yard stares on the punters handing out flyers to the strippers, or the aging waitresses with one too many botched boob jobs was just sad. Nowhere near the glamour or enjoyable hedonism as is so often portrayed.

Only went as a 15 year old with my parents, so couldn't really indulge in its vices but it seemed to me to be the most depressing place in the world. The 1000 yard stares on the punters handing out flyers to the strippers, or the aging waitresses with one too many botched boob jobs was just sad. Nowhere near the glamour or enjoyable hedonism as is so often portrayed.
Yup, it's grotesque. The best/worst bit for me was a billboard that said "Double your paycheck!" outside a gas station that had rows of ATMs next to the bowsers and half a dozen pokie machines inside.

.. and aside from being a horribly depressing place, it also attracts the absolute worst human beings in the world.

Yup, it's grotesque. The best/worst bit for me was a billboard that said "Double your paycheck!" outside a gas station that had rows of ATMs next to the bowsers and half a dozen pokie machines inside.

.. and aside from being a horribly depressing place, it also attracts the absolute worst human beings in the world.
Middle aged ‘First world’ men in Thailand say hi.

Agree. I thought it was a horrible place. Keep an open mind though and the USA is otherwise an amazing place to travel around. Some weird dudes and lots of guns, yes, but some great people too, and the land itself is so massive and has it all - mountains, canyons, deserts, snow. And I love New York. It’s like swinging between a spike lee and a woody Allen movie while trying to avoid mafioso s**t and dumb teens and starbucks. It’s everything you can think of squashed into such a small space. I’m devastated about what has happened to that amazing place recently

My wife lived in SoCal her whole life then moved to Vegas to live with her sister for a year before she moved out to the middle of nowhere to get married to me. She hated California because of Californians but she hated Vegas more because it attracted all the worst Californians plus the worst people from everywhere else.

Agree. I thought it was a horrible place. Keep an open mind though and the USA is otherwise an amazing place to travel around. Some weird dudes and lots of guns, yes, but some great people too, and the land itself is so massive and has it all - mountains, canyons, deserts, snow. And I love New York. It’s like swinging between a spike lee and a woody Allen movie while trying to avoid mafioso s**t and dumb teens and starbucks. It’s everything you can think of squashed into such a small space. I’m devastated about what has happened to that amazing place recently
Yep. I probably wasn't old enough/mateur enough to appreciate it at the time but the States is an amazing place. Some weird units as you say, but genuinely very kind hearted and friendly people too. Happy to point some Australian nuffies in the right direction every time we asked.
And for all the backslapping Australia gives itself as 'the greatest multicultural society on Earth' I think the US has us covered. Yes some horrible racists (same here) but again, really lovely welcoming people with diverse roots who aren't afraid to show them off.

While I agree Vegas isn't great place* I have been to a couple of other places that have been much worse

*A few days on a bender and it is pretty cool though

While I agree Vegas isn't great place* I have been to a couple of other places that have been much worse

*A few days on a bender and it is pretty cool though
True. Queanbeyan is much worse.

My sister moved to the US in March... she's more-or-less been in lockdown since she got there, lol.

And I love New York. It’s like swinging between a spike lee and a woody Allen movie while trying to avoid mafioso s**t and dumb teens and starbucks. It’s everything you can think of squashed into such a small space. I’m devastated about what has happened to that amazing place recently
Yeah me too, it's really horrible seeing photos of Times Square empty. I stayed in Brooklyn for a couple of months, I'd move there in a heartbeat. Was planning on heading there soon but who knows when I'd be able to do that now.

My sister moved to the US in March... she's more-or-less been in lockdown since she got there, lol.

Yeah me too, it's really horrible seeing photos of Times Square empty. I stayed in Brooklyn for a couple of months, I'd move there in a heartbeat. Was planning on heading there soon but who knows when I'd be able to do that now.
My brother in law and his wife live in NY and she is 7 months pregnant.

They showed us pics of her jumping into an uber to go to a doctors appointment and it was covered in plastic like out of a movie. They have 2 confirmed cases of covid19 in their apartment block and her obstetrician told her not to go to a hospital if she has any complications as you as almost certain to get it if you go there.

My wife was looking at going over there at the end of th year to see the baby but that won't be happening anytime soon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back