Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

I'm sure BigAntStudios will be able to provide far more than I can but...

Bugs will be ranked on some sort of scale depending on how game-breaking they are. Do they stop progression in the game (e.g. a crash)? Does the AI somehow break the rules (e.g. out of bounds called when the ball goes through for a goal)? And so on. All bugs are also ranked on how easy they are to fix. Something like the BOMBRES error is probably a really easy fix. These are then worked towards a deadline so some bigger bugs (like trading bugs) may be really hard to fix so won't make the next patch but something that seems insignificant (BOMBRES) gets fixed. This causes the masses to scream "Why did you fix the spelling of BOMBERS when it means nothing to gameplay but left me with players smothering a set shot???"

Killing bugs is a fine art. Not every bug will be killed and bugs will arise from the patches. There's no doubt about that. It's a matter of minimising what you can and hopefully taking out game-breakers and possibly living with the cosmetic bugs.

I'm sure every Studio have their own way of labelling things, we have "Must Fix", "A", "B", "C" - where you'd like to clear all M, A, B and most C. M's are crashes, non-progression errors and the like, A's are things that greatly limit the experience, B's limit the experience, C's are things like wrong colours, the spelling issue pointed out above, etc.

Each Studio/Publisher has their own take on Patches, I'm not letting out any secrets when I say that Sebastian Giompaolo hates patches, it's plain to see from the number of patches his games get.

We have an alternate take on that, we will patch often, we won't wait for the B/C bugs, we'll patch as soon as there are M or A's fixed, best and most extreme example would be AO Tennis with a patch on average every 5 days for 6 months (we also added a lot of content with those patches and new gameplay).

The PS4 and Xbox platforms can patch within 24-48 hours from submission, IMO there is no good reason to make people wait. Nintendo patches are a pain, the fastest we can get the simplest of patches through is weeks. e.g. We just released a patch for AO2 on Switch that was available on PS4/Xbox AO2 weeks ago.

Any dates given or deadlines for patches are entirely arbitrary and set by the publisher, not the platform holders.

Each Studio/Publisher has their own take on Patches, I'm not letting out any secrets when I say that Sebastian Giompaolo hates patches, it's plain to see from the number of patches his games get.

Same reason romance dies after the wedding I'd imagine.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
That is not a bug mate. That is actually getting it right.

Yet they've put it on their known issues page for some reason. Something that's actually correct.

Hating patches is fine if it's because you're an artist that strives to release games that don't need them, and if you do need to it's like a slap in the face because you've released a flawed product, but you release them anyway because you want perfection.

But yeah. That's not the case here at all :(

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Yet they've put it on their known issues page for some reason. Something that's actually correct.
Highlights they got a lot of people working on things that actually do not know their football very well. But the one person that put Bombres on the banner is someone that proves they know their football. It is not bug. That has been on their banner numerous times...lol

Go watch the recent recall match of Carlton and Essendon from 1993.
Bombres is on their banner then and been on it numerous times. ha ha

I was there, in standing room.... I don't remember that, but then again I haven't wanted to remember much about that day.

Not sure about this game yet, but with EVO 1 I was never too concerned about ratings.

I'll tell ya why.

I had a developed, 96 or so rated Will Setterfield who could never quite consistently cut in in the midfield when I had guys in there, rated late 70s to early 80s, totally outperforming him even though they were also physically inferior.

I had a number 1 draft pick around 90 rating get pushed out by a randomly generated speedy wingman, mid-late pick, named Andrew Ford who came in as a rover and dominated with late 60s ratings from very early on, and won a Brownlow in his first season.

I don't really know how ratings actually compute and work out in that game, but TBH players felt more than the sum of those ratings for some reason. Could be imagining it, but I enjoyed that aspect in a way.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
I'm sure every Studio have their own way of labelling things, we have "Must Fix", "A", "B", "C" - where you'd like to clear all M, A, B and most C. M's are crashes, non-progression errors and the like, A's are things that greatly limit the experience, B's limit the experience, C's are things like wrong colours, the spelling issue pointed out above, etc.

We have an alternate take on that, we will patch often, we won't wait for the B/C bugs, we'll patch as soon as there are M or A's fixed, best and most extreme example would be AO Tennis with a patch on average every 5 days for 6 months (we also added a lot of content with those patches and new gameplay).

The PS4 and Xbox platforms can patch within 24-48 hours from submission, IMO there is no good reason to make people wait. Nintendo patches are a pain, the fastest we can get the simplest of patches through is weeks. e.g. We just released a patch for AO2 on Switch that was available on PS4/Xbox AO2 weeks ago.

Any dates given or deadlines for patches are entirely arbitrary and set by the publisher, not the platform holders.

If Sebastian hates patching, Tru Blu probably shouldn't be affiliated with Wicked Witch

Not sure if posted already but twister with a sliders video.

Any legends out there want to transcribe these down so we don't have to listen to the peanut for 8 minutes?

Feb 2, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond

We’ve already bought his game. Why would he care about patches? He won’t get any extra money from patches that can go into his sales and money numbers he can quote us.

This is all about sucking us into buying the game, and hoping the next one will be better like we do every time. TruBlu have no pride in their games. 120 reported bugs on a game they felt was right to sell to the public. No pride whatsoever. Plain to see.

D1Matman

Debutant
Apr 2, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Jays,Pens,Steel,Raps, CFC,PG,Scorch
It's weird. They are balls deep in all social media and a s**t ton of it specifically targets youth. Yet at the same time they are just so unbelievably ignorant about video games as a marketing tool.

The AFL probably don't even bat an eyelid when the biggest names in footy are captured on TV playing FIFA, or answering interviews & questionnaires with a "playing FIFA with my mates is my favourite pastime". It is not the truth from the players that hurts though - we all have our favourite games. Its the inaction of the AFL to try and move the conversation of the youth towards AFL games a bit in a more meaningful way.

But there is really only one way the AFL can do that of course - figure out how to get the best quality game made - and actually take a decent look around at who can give you the biggest bang for your investment buck in Australia. Don't want to invest though? Still take a look around.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Tru Blu, Sebastian Giompaolo, who call the shots are from Sydney, but you're right, the Dev is in Melbourne.
Whenever I've heard them talk on vids or whatever, they just don't seem like footy people. They seem like devs who have just been given a sport game to make. Perhaps they do and I'm reading it wrong, or maybe the devs who don't speak publicly do, but then you look at the games themselves and there doesn't seem to be a lot of passion or vision for what they want to achieve coming through. And I think making a satisfying AFL game would be very difficult if you don't have at least some key people who know the sport and have some idea of how they want it to materialise in video game form.

D1Matman

Debutant
Apr 2, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Jays,Pens,Steel,Raps, CFC,PG,Scorch
On patches.. sometimes nothing is more frustrating for devs than a stingey publisher who holds the devs back from making reasonable fixes or improvements for an extended period. And I love it that this is part of the discussion. It sure helps being more independent, and being able to roll out regular updates, or an update on short notice when felt necessary. Its a win-win for devs and the fans, and ok, there is development cost involved and someone has to pay for it - but in this day and age I think you need to be prepared to go deep with post-launch support to cultivate your product and following. And not just put a number on it and peace out after a couple.

On patches.. sometimes nothing is more frustrating for devs than a stingey publisher who holds the devs back from making reasonable fixes or improvements for an extended period. And I love it that this is part of the discussion. It sure helps being more independent, and being able to roll out regular updates, or an update on short notice when felt necessary. Its a win-win for devs and the fans, and ok, there is development cost involved and someone has to pay for it - but in this day and age I think you need to be prepared to go deep with post-launch support to cultivate your product and following. And not just put a number on it and peace out after a couple.

I hope people are interested in the dev side? Yeah, the most liberating thing about finally becoming a publisher to retail ourselves, and owning the product, was that we are in control of patches and after sales support. Previously not being able to support customers as we'd like to, not being able to decide what was important or not for patches, and being told "no more patches" etc. guts you, especially if you care about the sport, and the pain is turned up a notch as you're not allowed to tell people why. For anyone passionate about their work it's the most disheartening state of afairs.

We believe we get future sales because of past support, patching right up to the months prior to release of the next game, it's games as a service. The alternate view is to fix as little as possible and tenable, leaving as much for the next version as is possible in the hope that the difference between the product versions is the compelling reason for purchase - IMO it's an outdated view from the time before the internet/patches were available.

Last edited:
Back