FTA-TV Uk cop shows - shadow line, top boy and more

Remove this Banner Ad

despite being a fan of cop shows and UK tv in general i have never seen a single episode of Line of Duty.
...thats about to change :)

i watched a fly on the wall doco series called Murder 24/7. it follows 3 different murder investigations with the Essex police in real-time and its really cool if you're into that sort of thing.
also just watched Penance and it's complete trash.

Guilt (2019, from BBC Scotland). Reminded me much of A Simple Plan where things just turn to s**t no matter how much thought and conniving goes into the developing plot. I couldn't quite work out where this show was coming from for the first two episodes. Was it comedy? There certainly were some funny moments as the characters were being developed. The last two eps saw the show turn very dark indeed. Again, no spoilers but I wonder what was Max formulating in the last scene. More discussion on this one later, no doubt.

Very good. Didn't see most of the twists coming.

Though of course it being a BBC production it had to have a diversity insert - in this case a mixed race lesbian relationship.

Last edited:
yes, I think we'll all be surviving on reruns in the not too distant future :(

Let's put up our best three shows for the inevitable drought. In no particular order:

What Remains

Apple Tree Yard

Love:Hate

And just for the sake of it and to see someone completely out of control, the first ep of Patrick Melrose.

despite being a fan of cop shows and UK tv in general i have never seen a single episode of Line of Duty.
...thats about to change :)

It's safe to say - at the very least - you will enjoy it. It's one of the safest recos I've ever made. That doesn't mean it's the best show ever necessarily, but it's hard to fathom how people wouldn't like it. I've even had people who almost exclusively watch U.S shows say "yep, that was a good reco".

Couple of new ones from me.

The Capture - starts on ABC TV this Friday. A bit futuristic but not beyond the possibility of reality. Pretty tense at times with some very good performances. I don't want to give anything away so it's up to you guys to get drawn into it.

Guilt (2019, from BBC Scotland). Reminded me much of A Simple Plan where things just turn to s**t no matter how much thought and conniving goes into the developing plot. I couldn't quite work out where this show was coming from for the first two episodes. Was it comedy? There certainly were some funny moments as the characters were being developed. The last two eps saw the show turn very dark indeed. Again, no spoilers but I wonder what was Max formulating in the last scene. More discussion on this one later, no doubt.

Hook in!

Very good. Didn't see most of the twists coming.

Though of course it being a BBC production it had to have a diversity insert - in this case a mixed race lesbian relationship.

I might just keep following you 2, so don't be strangers in here:

Finished 'The Capture' & liked it. I'd give it a solid 7. Yeah, they didn't nail the landing, but I don't think it was awful. It will be interesting to see if they are contemplating a 2nd season.

'Guilt' begins on BBC First on Thursday April-16. I might just wait until then for that series, but had a read of a few reviews and they were almost all positive... So will definitely view it at some stage.

What Remains

Hadn't heard of 'What Remains' previously. Looks good, so thanks for the reco.

In reading some reviews of it, I notice that it's listed in amongst some great UK shows from 2013; the others being Broadchurch, The Fall, Top of the Lake & Southcliffe. I've seen all but the last one. If anyone's seen 'Southcliffe', is it worth a watch? I can't really tell from the reviews.

Hadn't heard of 'What Remains' previously. Looks good, so thanks for the reco.

In reading some reviews of it, I notice that it's listed in amongst some great UK shows from 2013; the others being Broadchurch, The Fall, Top of the Lake & Southcliffe. I've seen all but the last one. If anyone's seen 'Southcliffe', is it worth a watch? I can't really tell from the reviews.

Can't remember in detail but it was pretty dark stuff. I kept it in my library so I must have thought it was worth keeping for a later view.

lol. You may not have the stomach for "Liar".

I'll give it a crack.

I don't know about stomach but I think there is a difference between men and women's taste in TV, novels and magazines. The best shows and movies speak to both males and females but having said that I think the strong female lead and weak, aggressive or stupid male is being overdone right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's put up our best three shows for the inevitable drought. In no particular order:

What Remains

Apple Tree Yard

Love:Hate

And just for the sake of it and to see someone completely out of control, the first ep of Patrick Melrose.

Love/hate is good .

Bloody brutal show .

Two eps into Patrick Melrose. It's challenging in a good way. Gonna see it through.

Edit : finished it now. Very good. Cumberbatch really got into the role. It was refreshing that many of the characters were different to what you normally see.

Last edited:
The Victim - BBC, 4 parts
A mother seeks the whereabouts of her son's killer after he is released from prison, unleashing a series of events that surface tragic memories and unexpected consequences.

I can recommend this.

Just finished, It's superb.

The acting across the board is 1st class especially James Harkness as Craig.

Just finished this on my new open all access Foxtel subscription and came here looking to see if it was mentioned.

As stated, superb show.

Thanks. I'll get to it soon.
I'm watching Love/Hate again. Can't believe how good this show is. It reminds me of The Shield, mateship and betrayal all rolled together. But Ah Jaysus, it's hard to understand at times.

I finished S2 of Save Me. There's a couple of weaker episodes - I checked and they were the ones not written by Lennie James. But it comes home strongly and there is potential for a third season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back