Current Four police officers killed after pulling over a Porsche 911 on Melbourne freeway

Four Victoria Police officers have been killed after a semi-trailer crashed into them on a Melbourne freeway, the largest loss of officer lives in the state's history.

The incident happened on the Eastern Freeway near Kew and the Chandler Highway about 5.40pm where two on-duty officers had pulled over a speeding Porsche 911 for a roadside test. The intention was to impound the car.

Two more officers arrived in an unmarked car as backup, with all four then hit by a semi-trailer while outside their vehicles.

The driver of the Porsche has fled the scene on foot and his whereabouts are unknown.

The truck driver is in custody at a hospital.

Is that what is being said or are you just surmising based on him being in hospital?

I'm listening to the ABC and they said the truck driver had a medical episode but they're not sure if it was before he hit the four or afterwards (on realising what he's done).

Geelong_Bisons_#36

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Inverleigh Hawks
That struck me as quite tragic too.
I wouldn't be surprised if the ridiculous law of having to slow to 40kph past flashing lights has had something to do with this.
I drive a truck and have had to slam on the brakes in a 100kmh zone many times when cops pull people over around a bend or after a rise in the road which doesn't give you enough time to see them and safely slow down to 40.

Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wouldn't be surprised if the ridiculous law of having to slow to 40kph past flashing lights has had something to do with this.
I drive a truck and have had to slam on the brakes in a 100kmh zone many times when cops pull people over around a bend or after a rise in the road which doesn't give you enough time to see them and safely slow down to 40.
I suspect police will be quite aggressive with this law now and for some time to come.

yep a complete dangerous law

it makes sense on paper but in practice when do you slow from 100km/h to 40km/h? 100m prior, 0m prior or just when you see it ahead?

the outcome is people traveling at vastly different speeds.

Further cops should not pull vehicles over on freeways, rather follow them off the freeway and book pull them over in safe locations. Perhaps better technology in the future will provide safer solutions.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
absolutely terrible. thoughts & prayers with the officers and families.
They are saying they believe he had a medical episode, can only think that maybe he had a seizure sparked by the 2 cars flashing lights, only thing I can think of. Theres a video doing the rounds of the same Porsche absolutely flying on the Eastern 4 weeks earlier. believed to be the same car and looks to be doing atleast 250

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Just saw dashcam footage of the Porsche speeding on the news. This was no regular speeding infringement, looks like the car was going at Formula 1 speeds.

Absolute tragedy to have 4 innocent lives lost.

Seems like they called and waited until backup got there to get the driver out of the car? There's mention the intention was to impound the Porsche, can they seize a car if it's travelling over a certain dangerous speed? Or you're right and the car was stolen.

I wonder if they even have an ID on the driver yet.
Why did the police call for back up? Why did the driver of the Porsche flee on foot?

Doesn’t seem like a routine traffic stop. Probably a stolen vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seems like they called and waited until backup got there to get the driver out of the car? There's mention the intention was to impound the Porsche, can they seize a car if it's travelling over a certain dangerous speed? Or you're right and the car was stolen.

I wonder if they even have an ID on the driver yet.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

There’s hoon laws , I think 30 km over and they can impound. According to Ashton’s statement they called for back up after they spoke to the driver and as a result of their enquires.

What’s a bet he has a serious record to call in backup.

Porsche driver has been caught. Apparently had a criminal history and took photos of the car crash. He ended up putting the photos on facebook...wth

Porsche driver has been caught. Apparently had a criminal history and took photos of the car crash. He ended up putting the photos on facebook...wth

When I saw he put pics on facebook, I expected he'd be barely old enough to have a license. He's 41 years old.

Back