Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I have two favourites. The first was our preliminary final win in 2003 at Sydney Olympic Stadium. IIRC, it was goal for goal for most of the game and we went into the final change only 3 points up, but ran away winners by over 40 points. The most memorable moment was Ash McGrath's 90m goal in the third quarter when the game was really in the balance (at 8:40 of this clip):

The second was our 3 point win over Sydney in 2000 at the SCG. It was my visit to the SCG and being down by a couple of goals we just got over the line. I remember Lynch kicking a bag and Damian Cupido having one of his better games at the club, which is probably saying something (another player that had all the talent to be one of the games best, but just couldn't apply himself):

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
On TV, it was the Ash McGrath goal.

In person, it was 2009 - our only victory in 15 years of living in Sydney.
I dare say that you'd forgive a few people that haven't followed the Lions for that long if they just nominated last years win given it was our first win over the Swans since that very game in 2009.

I dare say that you'd forgive a few people that haven't followed the Lions for that long if they just nominated last years win given it was our first win over the Swans since that very game in 2009.
Hell, off the top of my head I think there's only two to choose from if you started following the Lions half way through 2004. I remember missing the round 1 win on TV that year because of a work dinner at my new job and didn't think it was a big deal...

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Yeah that 2009 away win was very enjoyable.

Also may not be as popular considering we didn't win but our draw with the Swans at the Gabba in 2007 was one of the better matches I've been to live. The atmosphere was electric and when Brown took that mark 55m out late in the game it was as if everyone in the stadium knew he was going to kick the goal and he did just that. Crowd was super loud that night.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was just watching our 2008 Round 3 loss to the Swans and that side in 2008 really should have played finals. Our top end was absolutely elite with Black, Brown, Bradshaw and Power and then we had great run and carry from guys like Notting, Adcock, McGrath and Johnstone. Our top 12 or so players were more than good enough but ultimately the rest of the list wasn't that year but I still think we should have played finals.

Obviously the 2003 PF.

Wanted to sneak in a Bears game: Round 8, 1993, which was a smashing (see scores below). There are questions about when Sydney kicked their first goal, as the Bears kicked at least 19 goals in a row in a game. I asked previously asked if anyone had this on tape but didn't get a response. It would be interesting to know.

Geelong kicked 23 in a row against Fremantle in 2018, which is claimed to be an AFL record. There is also a game with 23-27 goals in a row by South Melbourne over St Kilda in 1919.

Anyway, here are the quarter by quarter score in Bears v Swans game.

Brisbane Bears
Sydney

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox

If I was including Fitzroy, this game would be up there as well, in addition to our round 22 win over them too in our last game as a tenant at Victoria Park by 10 points IIRC.

Whilst young, we were members of Fitzroy at all of these random venues, inlcuding Vic Park and I recall that we needed to win that game just to make the finals in the first place, which was no mean feat given the Swans were one of the best teams going around in 86. As it was, we beat the Swans in round 22 to set up that memorable finals series.

I was just about to post this game. I was at this game with my family and my parents were called to the ground manager’s office over the speakers at half time. They were told my grandmother had passed away. We watched the second half through tears and shock and ultimately joy as we managed to draw strength from the win. In the moment, winning this game became the single most important thing in the world. I cried tears of joy as we ran over the top of Sydney in the last quarter and then hung on to win. Fitzroy mean everything to me, but never more so than that day.

I was just about to post this game. I was at this game with my family and my parents were called to the ground manager’s office over the speakers at half time. They were told my grandmother had passed away. We watched the second half through tears and shock and ultimately joy as we managed to draw strength from the win. In the moment, winning this game became the single most important thing in the world. I cried tears of joy as we ran over the top of Sydney in the last quarter and then hung on to win. Fitzroy mean everything to me, but never more so than that day.
I wasn’t quite sure what emoji to click after reading this post as it took me through a range of emotions.
It reminds me of a day in my life back when I was around 8 yrs old.
Where it went from the ecstasy of being picked up early from School one day, to a range of emotions throughout the rest of the day, to finally, the look of pain on my parents faces when they finally come to pick me up late that evening and telling me that my 18mth old Nephew had passed away after falling into a pool. Which ended up being one of the saddest moments in my life.
Sorry to go off script! Not footy I know!

BrainOfMorbius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I too have been looking for a copy of that smashing Bears win over Sydney. I was at the game and to say it came out of the blue is putting it mildly. From memory I think Merrett and Murphy both kicked 8 goals each. Amazing.

I wasn’t quite sure what emoji to click after reading this post as it took me through a range of emotions.
It reminds me of a day in my life back when I was around 8 yrs old.
Where it went from the ecstasy of being picked up early from School one day, to a range of emotions throughout the rest of the day, to finally, the look of pain on my parents faces when they finally come to pick me up late that evening and telling me that my 18mth old Nephew had passed away after falling into a pool. Which ended up being one of the saddest moments in my life.
Sorry to go off script! Not footy I know!
Distressing. Life is so randomly unjust at times and our grasp of it can be so tenuous. This is why it is important to actively commit to loving those close to us, to take pleasure in the simple moments each day and to act in good faith towards others.

HereIam86

Club Legend
Jun 5, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
La lakers Brisbane Heat

I remember that goal he kicked it from the centre square it look like it wasn’t going to make it across the goal line.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Went down for the 2003 Prelim, caught the bus, and sat in the away supporters bay with the cheer squad. Hell of an experience. Memory escapes me but out of 90K it seemed like maybe 5K of us were Brisbane supporters. Close game and we ran away with it in the end, afterwards all the Swans were saying "Hope you smash the Pies next week!", no bitterness whatsoever. Great night.

Remember heading off to Coorparoo halfway through the fourth quarter of the 2003 prelim to line up for a grand final queue ticket when it looked like we were on top. One of the more impressive quarters of that side, considering how tired I thought we were looking.

I was only a kid but I remember the Bears thrashing the Swans at the Gabba. Having sat through the years of pisspoor losses down at Carrara and similar starting to unfold at the Gabba that was one of those "woah" games.

Of recent times, I don't think we won it but the game where N.Robbo ragdolled Buddy also sticks in my memory. Mostly because Robbo claims Buddy blocked him on social media afterward. :D

Back