Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved the old Olympic stand watched many a game from there... 95 GF was lucky enough to be there with a huge group of friends and mates on the top deck fantastic place to watch a game from, stand packed full of memories ...
Watched 87 from the Olympic stand.
In 1981 I was in a standing room bay just in front of the old clock that counted the minutes in the quarter. The color on the clock background changed to red (I think) at the 25 minute mark. Was it Omega or am I imagining that? The clock basically sat between the 2 stands - Southern and Olympic. The ambulance always sat in the driveway below.
Anyway, my question is, was I in the Olympic or the Southern Stand? I'm thinking Olympic but Google is not being friendly with showing me anything useful.

For all those Bluebaggers that went to the 99 prelim did you all yell out "Baaaaalll"😆. After Wallis was tackled by Brown?
for sure. We were going nuts as I recall the ones around us all knew there was less than 30 seconds left as someone with radio on passed it onto us

I want to know what happened to the part of my brain that holds the memories from Sept 1970.

I was 6, doing Prep at school.

But I have absolutely no f**king recollection of listening live, watching replay later etc. Nothing, nada, f**k all. Where is it? Either I was suffering PTSD from the first half, or I was abducted by aliens.
You were 6 years old FFS, who remembers much of being 6?
I can barely remember any sport before 10 years old. 6? no ******* hope

You were 6 years old FFS, who remembers much of being 6?
I can barely remember any sport before 10 years old. 6? no ******* hope

Childhood memories are obviously very individual things. Would vary a lot from person to person.

As I said in the post, I remember things prior to that in regards to kinder in 1969. Clearly remember watching the moon landing with mum on TV early in the morning. I was more interested in how far Jezza's kick bounced than how small or big Neil Armstrong's step was - so why do I remember that?

I went to my first ever game of football in 1971 while I was still 6. Richmond v Carlton at the 'G. Can clearly remember leaving early as we were well down, but I was badgering dad for radio updates on the train, in case we came back. Lost by around 6 goals I think.

Was a bit naive at my first game, which was early ‘72.

Honestly thought they broadcast the match on loudspeakers.....there were just waay too many players out there for me to keep track of.

Was told later, I spent 3 quarters running up and down the aisles in my flash yellow, ankle high gumboots.

True dinks.

Was a bit naive at my first game, which was early ‘72.

Honestly thought they broadcast the match on loudspeakers.....there were just waay too many players out there for me to keep track of.

Was told later, I spent 3 quarters running up and down the aisles in my flash yellow, ankle high gumboots.

True dinks.
Yeah I'm sure part of the reason we left early would have had nothing to do with the score. I would have been shitting Dad to tears in some way or another.

Childhood memories are obviously very individual things. Would vary a lot from person to person.

As I said in the post, I remember things prior to that in regards to kinder in 1969. Clearly remember watching the moon landing with mum on TV early in the morning. I was more interested in how far Jezza's kick bounced than how small or big Neil Armstrong's step was - so why do I remember that?
I also can remember odd things from early age but specific years blend together for most people I assume at these ages.
I do not drink coffee... but I know I have tasted coffee. I figured out my grandfather, whom I do not remember must have made me coffee, so have vague recall of smell of coffee and associate it with him. I know he played the violin and smoked but there is no way I can recall what he was doing on any particular day of what year. I think he died when I was around 10 of something related to being a smoker.

You said something about some footy cards and a picture on back of them of a certain situation but then some other poster of your vintage seems to be saying it is about two years later than you thought it was. I think you are expecting too much of knowing what you were doing on specific days at that age. Memories probably get mashed into together from that long ago as if they are same age or year and some of them could be up to 3 or 4 years apart.

I also can remember odd things from early age but specific years blend together for most people I assume at these ages.
I do not drink coffee... but I know I have tasted coffee. I figured out my grandfather, whom I do not remember must have made me coffee, so have vague recall of smell of coffee and associate it with him. I know he played the violin and smoked but there is no way I can recall what he was doing on any particular day of what year. I think he died when I was around 10 of something related to being a smoker.

You said something about some footy cards and a picture on back of them of a certain situation but then some other poster of your vintage seems to be saying it is about two years later than you thought it was. I think you are expecting too much of knowing what you were doing on specific days at that age. Memories probably get mashed into together from that long ago as if they are same age or year and some of them could be up to 3 or 4 years apart.

Agree to some extent. But some memories are specific and history tells you when they were. The moon landing has a specific date - I wouldn't be able to tell you from my childhood memory what it was, or how old I was. But I CAN know now, that I recall sitting with mum in front of the TV on that morning. History tells me it was 20th of July 1969 (in Australia).

The footy cards thing I suggested Craig McKellar with a question mark as possibly being the Tigers ruckman in 1969. I could have googled and said it was Michael Green. The poster (Alec Duncan I think) said McKellar was '72. That is certainly an example of a "blended memory", but it doesn't mean I don't recall collecting the footy cards in my first year of school in 1970. It just means I wouldn't have chosen Richmond ruckmen as my strong suit in Mastermind :)

Watched 87 from the Olympic stand.
In 1981 I was in a standing room bay just in front of the old clock that counted the minutes in the quarter. The color on the clock background changed to red (I think) at the 25 minute mark. Was it Omega or am I imagining that? The clock basically sat between the 2 stands - Southern and Olympic. The ambulance always sat in the driveway below.
Anyway, my question is, was I in the Olympic or the Southern Stand? I'm thinking Olympic but Google is not being friendly with showing me anything useful.
Time certainly fades the memory on certain things for a lot of us myself included, it seems to blend some of the ways we remember things... I’m certain it was an omega clock you mentioned, was trying to remember the time they put the second scoreboard in on the Olympic stand but just can’t remember.. Tried searching for some information and photos but just can’t seem to get the information too jolt the memory... Actually sat directly behind the goals grind level about 10 rows up with a few mates Olympic stand end which was my first Blues GF 1985 was my first back in the days of series final tickets, as for your question I’m really not sure with any certainty but had a ripping night back at the club/ground later that night 🍻

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was born in 1991 yet I have small memories of 1994 and some from 1996.

it feels like all I did on those weekends were visiting my mum’s friends, seeing relo’s or going shopping at The Glen.

I remember in grade 2 Carlton played Collingwood on Easter Monday.

I have vague memories of Carlton’s current monogram in 1997.

As well as R21 1998, I feel like I remember Essendon vs Footscray same time previous season.

I remember the first news item I bore witness to being the Stuart Diver Thredbo disaster.

Finally, is it odd to know of Woosha in 1998 before even knowing that West Coast existed?

bit suss pumping up your own thread........it needs to be integrated into the forum organically, naturally, seamlessly.........

Shut up, di..........stinguished starter of the depth thread

bit suss pumping up your own thread........it needs to be integrated into the forum organically, naturally, seamlessly.........
Also, the Thylacine60 Style Guide requires the author to be red-carded on a monthly basis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back