AFLW The 2020 W Awards

Remove this Banner Ad

Arrangements for the 2020 W Awards

Sunday April 26

The AFLW Mark of the Year will be announced at 3:30pm AEST while the Coates Hire Goal of the Year will be announced at 7:30pm AEST across AFL and AFLW social and digital platforms.

Monday April 27
The Toyota AFL Women’s All-Australian Team will be announced at 6:00pm AEST across AFL and AFLW social and digital platforms.

Tuesday April 28 – W Awards broadcast from 7:00pm AEST
The 2020 W Awards will be broadcast nationally from 7:00pm AEST on FOX FOOTY, Kayo, womens.afl, the AFLW app, AFL.com.au and the AFL Live Official App. Awards to be presented include the NAB AFL Women’s Rising Star Award, AFL Women’s Leading Goalkicker Award and AFL Women’s Best and Fairest Award.

---

Here's a list of awards that have already been awarded:

All-Australian
Squad of 40
Adel: Sarah Allan, Anne Hatchard, Ebony Marinoff
Bris: Kate Lutkins, Emily Bates, Jesse Wardlaw, Sophie Conway
Carl: Kerryn Harrington, Maddie Prespakis, Tayla Harris, Georgia Gee
Coll: Sharni Layton, Jaimee Lambert, Stacey Livingstone, Britt Bonnici, Brianna Davey
Frem: Kiara Bowers, Gemma Houghton, Sabreena Duffy, Ebony Antonio
Geel: Olivia Purcell
GWS: Alyce Parker, Elle Bennetts
GC: Jamie Stanton, Kalinda Howarth, Jade Pregelj
Melb: Karen Paxman, Libby Birch, Daisy Pearce, Kate Hore
NM: Emma Kearney, Jasmine Garner, Ash Riddell, Jenna Bruton
Rich: Monique Conti
StK: Georgia Patrikios, Caitlin Greiser
WC: Dana Hooker
WB: Ellie Blackburn, Isabel Huntington

Team

Main awards
League B&F: Madison Prespakis (Carl)
Leading Goal-kicker: Caitlin Greiser (Stk)
Rising Star: Isabel Huntington (WB)
Goal of the Year: Kate Hore (Melb)
Mark of the Year: Rebecca Privitelli (GWS)

AFLPA awards
Most Valuable Player: Jasmine Garner (NM)
Best First-Year Player: Georgia Patrikios (StK)
Most Courageous Player: Kiara Bowers (Frem)
Best Captain: Daisy Pearce (Melb)

Other awards
AFLCA Champion Player: Jasmine Garner (NM)

Club B&Fs
Ade: Anne Hatchard
Bris: Emily Bates
Carl: Madison Prespakis
Coll: Jaimee Lambert
Frem: Kiara Bowers
Geel: Olivia Purcell
GC: Jamie Stanton
GWS: Alyce Parker
Melb: Shelley Scott
NM: Jasmine Garner
Rich: Monique Conti
StK:
WC: Dana Hooker
WB: Isabel Huntington

Last edited:
Voting for the GOTY and MOTY closes at midnight tonight, here are the nominees:

Goal of the Year

Mark of the Year

Richelle Cranston didn't even win Goal of the Round for that effort, so it's good to see that mistake was rectified by having her in the final 3. I'm going with Kate Hore's trot down the wing though.

And I'll go with Gum's mark, took a fair bit of courage in addition to some smooth skill.

And to recap what I've said earlier in other threads, here's MY All Australian team (in coral) and squad (in violet):

yyr6AA.png

As usual, much fairer than what was actually selected.

First of all, it's amazing how Collingwood were able to get 5 selections and yet their second best player of the season still missed out! Terrible. And Stacey Livingstone in the squad, after being gifted the BOG medal for last year's VFLW grand final, now makes her THE most overrated player in the league.

It's a shame players like Marinoff, Bonnici and Stanton were nominated even though they hack kicked their way through the season. Purcell is admittedly an even bigger butcher but at least she was able to have a scoreboard impact.

Layton, as the only nominated ruckman, will be in the team even though she didn't play out every game. Hopefully they don't make the same mistake with Huntington--she was good, yes, but not better than Phoebe Monahan who missed out entirely (and they were both in s**t teams so that's a strange one).

Conway comfortably beats Gee for this year's Eloise Jones Charity Selection, although both those players lack the more valuable harder edge of a Lucy McEvoy.

Credit to the panel for including Bennetts, I was sure they were going to cruelly overlook her.

Arrangements for the 2020 W Awards

Sunday April 26

The AFLW Mark of the Year will be announced at 3:30pm AEST while the Coates Hire Goal of the Year will be announced at 7:30pm AEST across AFL and AFLW social and digital platforms.

Monday April 27
The Toyota AFL Women’s All-Australian Team will be announced at 6:00pm AEST across AFL and AFLW social and digital platforms.

Tuesday April 28 – W Awards broadcast from 7:00pm AEST
The 2020 W Awards will be broadcast nationally from 7:00pm AEST on FOX FOOTY, Kayo, womens.afl, the AFLW app, AFL.com.au and the AFL Live Official App. Awards to be presented include the NAB AFL Women’s Rising Star Award, AFL Women’s Leading Goalkicker Award and AFL Women’s Best and Fairest Award.

---

A couple of no-brainers to open up Club B&F season, although Garner just got over the line in a barnburner.

Carlton AFLW Best & Fairest – Top 10
1st - Madison Prespakis (74 votes)
2nd - Chloe Dalton (56)
3rd - Georgia Gee (43)
4th - Grace Egan (41)
5th - Lucy McEvoy (39)
6th - Darcy Vescio (38)
7th - Mua Laloifi (37)
8th - Kerryn Harrington (35)
9th - Tayla Harris (34)
10th - Nicola Stevens (32)

Geelong AFLW Best & Fairest – Top 10
1st - Olivia Purcell (134 votes)
2nd - Maddy McMahon (128)
3rd - Nina Morrison (119)
4th - Phoebe McWilliams (118)
5th - Aasta O’Connor (116)
6th - Maddy Keryk (112)
6th - Amy McDonald (112)
8th - Richelle Cranston (111)
9th - Danielle Higgins (109)
10th - Rebecca Webster (108)
10th - Julia Crockett-Grills (108)

North Melbourne AFLW Best & Fairest – Top 10
1st - Jasmine Garner (112 votes)
2nd - Emma Kearney (111)
3rd - Ash Riddell (107)
4th - Jenna Bruton (101)
5th - Aileen Gilroy (83)
6th - Kate Gillespie-Jones (81)
7th - Sophie Abbatangelo (78)
8th - Ellie Gavalas (72)
9th - Vivien Saad (65)
10th - Brittany Gibson (61)

Brisbane, Gold Coast and St Kilda could all go one of a few ways, expecting the leading midfielder to take it out in all the other clubs.

A fine mark, but not my choice and fair to say it's unlikely to be talked about for decades to come. Can't guarantee my appreciation of the mark isn't soured by the knowledge of Privitelli missing the resulting set shot! Nevertheless she had a good season so at least there's something to show for it in place of missing out on an AA nomination.

A bit of an instant classic from Kate Hore, probably not quite as good as Aliesha Newman's a few years ago but less flukey too. Also, perfectly called by Jason Bennett, not a false note and did the number justice without needing the backing of a crowd track.

Completely botched the half-back line, starting with Huntington (played 5 games while other defenders were good week in week out).

Just two Fremantle players in the team too, following on from and keeping in theme with last year's snubbing.

And maybe this sounds like a nitpick (but I'm more qualified to speak about this than anything football-related): either include the photo of every player selected or don't use any, otherwise it's just downright rude to the bench players!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know she played in a losing team but Mon Conti leaves half these girls for dead.
Conti is an interesting one, I watched the North Melbourne v Richmond game again yesterday and my two big takes from the game were North should have been the first team to reach the ton but took their foot of the Tigers throats in the second half, perhaps if Abbatangelo had of kicked that goal early in the third it may have been a different story. The second was the talents of Conti, I don't think there are too many players in the women's game on her level. Her ability find the ball in tight, evade the tackler/s and hit the open player was quite remarkable, and even when she was tackled to still get the disposal away was impressive. I thought she was probably the second best player on the field that day after Riddell, but because the Tigers were quite comprehensively thrashed that day she may not get any votes tonight. And I think because of the Tigers lack of competitiveness during the season, as good as Conti was, played a part in her exclusion from the All-Australian Team. It's hard to give a player recognition when their team doesn't win a game at has a percentage in the mid 30's.

Can anyone explain to me why the best small forward in the game and leading goal kicker for the league isn't in the AA team?
She was struck by lightning before the season started and missed a few games.

At the "halfway" point of the League B&F "count":

=8th: Monique Conti (Rich) - 7 votes
=8th: Georgia Patrikios (StK) - 7 votes
=8th: Brittany Bonnici (Coll) - 7 votes
=8th: Jaimee Lambert (Coll) - 7 votes

=12th: Ellie Blackburn (WB) - 6 votes
=12th: Dana Hooker (WC) - 6 votes
=12th: Alyce Parker (GWS) - 6 votes
=12th: Cora Staunton (GWS) - 6 votes

(something like that)

At the "halfway" point of the League B&F "count":

=8th: Monique Conti (Rich) - 7 votes
=8th: Georgia Patrikios (StK) - 7 votes
=8th: Brittany Bonnici (Coll) - 7 votes
=8th: Jaimee Lambert (Coll) - 7 votes

=12th: Ellie Blackburn (WB) - 6 votes
=12th: Dana Hooker (WC) - 6 votes
=12th: Alyce Parker (GWS) - 6 votes
=12th: Cora Staunton (GWS) - 6 votes

(something like that)
Lambert with 7 votes is a bit of surprise, I thought she would have more than that.

Prespakis wins on 15 votes, Bowers second with 12. Whole presentation was a dog's breakfast and hard to keep track of so I'll wait for more info from the AFLW twitter account and website.

Isabel Huntington with the Rising Star award...

So the winner of the players MVP doesn’t even get on top six and they give rising star award to a player in her third year of football.....

So the winner of the players MVP doesn’t even get on top six and they give rising star award to a player in her third year of football.....
These aflw umps should not be awarding the aflw bnf

More credibility elsewhere. The players voted garner afl mvp the coaches did too these people matter more

AFLW BEST AND FAIREST TOP 10
1. Madison Prespakis (Carlton) 15
2. Kiara Bowers (Fremantle) 12
3. Emma Kearney (North Melbourne) 11
=4. Anne Hatchard (Adelaide) 10
=4. Jenna Bruton (North Melbourne) 10
5. Karen Paxman (Melbourne) 9
=7. Brittany Bonnici (Collingwood) 7
=7. Georgia Patrikios (St Kilda) 7
=7. Jaimee Lambert (Collingwood) 7
=7. Monique Conti (Richmond) 7

Remove this Banner Ad