Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
My submission: Angel Dust - Faith No More

When this first came out 25 years ago, I thought it was some weird, spaced out s**t. I also thought it was a disappointment in comparison to The Real Thing, which I loved back then. But OMG, over time I have come to love Angel Dust, an absolute masterpiece in musical creativity and production. Still sounds amazing and relevant now 25 years later. I now rate it higher than The Real Thing. Possibly their greatest album, up there with King For A Day.

Keen to hear from others.
King for a Day is clearly FNMs magnum opus, but I love Angel Dust too. Was my first FNM album I think, just not a wall to wall masterpiece like KFAD

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Enjoying music often depends on how you are listening to it, what context you're listening in and also giving albums time to breathe so you feel both the nostalgia of listening to it after a period and also to allow yourself to notice the layers within the album. Some wont even be specific to the music itself - how does the album flow, for example.

It took me 10-15 listens through Science Fiction by Brand New to actually enjoy it. I found originally it was far too restrained, and presented pretty much as a mish-mash of other sounds they'd used, but having listened to it again recently with the benefit of being in the right state of mind I've developed a much better understanding of it. I do think they've taken a number of cues from 90's alt rock, and I doubt it'll hold up to either TDAGARIM or Deja Entendu, but it's compelling.

Most Radiohead albums will take at least a dozen listens and usually years for me to enjoy in their full capacity. They just aren't made to be instantly gratifying, and the subtle shifts in the songs and the hooks are made to be unpacked slowly.

cultivating

Draftee
Nov 24, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
I'd say Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock is definitely one. It was given repeat listens upon trusted recommendation and it just didn't connect with me.

Not even exactly sure why I didn't like it at first, and it didn't grow on me or anything. Just one day hearing it quite some time later, and I seriously enjoyed it. The enjoyment has continued.

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd say Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock is definitely one. It was given repeat listens upon trusted recommendation and it just didn't connect with me.

Not even exactly sure why I didn't like it at first, and it didn't grow on me or anything. Just one day hearing it quite some time later, and I seriously enjoyed it. The enjoyment has continued.

Herbie was great in his era . At the forefront

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Enjoying music often depends on how you are listening to it, what context you're listening in and also giving albums time to breathe so you feel both the nostalgia of listening to it after a period and also to allow yourself to notice the layers within the album. Some wont even be specific to the music itself - how does the album flow, for example.

True.

Listened to an album for the first time on my iPod with headphones, Next time was in the car and it sounded totally different.

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
AS other have said Angel Dust. It was a weird album even for the day. People didnt know what to make of it and even the bands producers, friends etc thought they were crazy for making it. I was in same boat when I picked it up on release, I thought it was too wacky and didn't like the vibe. After all these years I think its the greatest rock/prog rock album ever created. It is a work genius. I absolutely love it.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
AS other have said Angel Dust. It was a weird album even for the day. People didnt know what to make of it and even the bands producers, friends etc thought they were crazy for making it. I was in same boat when I picked it up on release, I thought it was too wacky and didn't like the vibe. After all these years I think its the greatest rock/prog rock album ever created. It is a work genius. I absolutely love it.
I still listen to it now when I go on rides.

Damn I miss 90's alternative metal / psychedelic rock

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Saw faith no more in New York with voivoid in 1990. Venue completely went off and was scary ( ramones in Sydney hordern pavilion the other scary gig ) . Love FNM and nothing like the peppers. Don’t get that musical beef .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Apparently Kiedis hates Patton because he thinks FNM stole his brand, Patton doesn't know what the beef is about. He has said that if they met up today he reckons they would be good friends. Seems like its Kiedis who is holding a grudge.

My two favourite albums, Radiohead's OK Computer and Tool's Aenima were slow burns, I liked the singles but it took me a long time to like the albums.

I love both of them now but they certainly weren't love at first sight.

Probably my two favorite albums from the 90s right there!

SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES - Join Hands

There is a lot of baggage with this album and most of it not related to the music, the band split mid tour while promoting the album which maybe one of the reasons it's not a favourite with Banshees fans. As for the music, when I first heard the album, it had a darker, more "depressing" sound to their debut that I loved so much and so I had always been rather dismissive of the album until after the Banshees split in 1996 when I gave it another listen. As poorly as it is regarded there is a lot of great songs on it including Playground Twist, Placebo Effect, Icon and Premature Burial which is one of their finest songs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back