Universal Love HEY! How you doin? Covid-19 Mental Health Check

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked Project Boost, took a while to get used to the power of the controls but is a good little game.

Hama Rikyu the scenery is outstanding. More good fun. Seemed a bit slow on my machine though.

Love me a bit of space invaders so Power Defender was really good.

PortBlocks...PONG! Love this s**t.

All good. Hama Rikyu > PortBlocks > Power Defender > Project Boost

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

I spent a month stuffing around with the terrain on Hama Riyku. My first time doing it and got very obsessed with it.
I'll need to have a think about the slowness.

Tomorrow nights release is a tower defence, and the game jam project will be my first RPG.
Oh yeh and Project Boost is a bastard, I struggle to get past level 2 myself :)

cheers

Instead of replying to everyone, I thought I'd make another post.

Just want to say a huge thank you for everyone that replied and reached out it does mean a lot and I have to be honest as much as I know there are plenty of helpful people here on big footy was still an effort to press send and at the end of the day I'm happy to have done so.

I've taken in everyone's responses and will definitely give them a go. It was a bit of a rough day but thankfully I was able to spend some time with my close mates who helped me out today. I do believe time does heal but for the moment needed to let it out just been a mess the last couple of days really hit me hard.

It was an unexpected turn for her to leave hurts more when you don't see it coming but at the end of the day, I have to admit she did me a favour because truth be told i wouldn't have left her. Eddie Dingle after reading your post I promise I won't be Amanda jones again. On the funny side, I do have some poor judgement in women which I probably need more help in than anything else lol.

Again my heart goes out to everyone with their messages and sharing ideas for me to do in the meantime, can't thank you enough I guess a round for everyone on me is appropriate. The black dog has left and hopefully won't come back again but if it does I know where to reach out. It is satisfying posting on here to know I have people willing to reach out and take the time out of their day to help me.

Hope you all are staying safe and keeping well. F*ck loneliness and f*ck the black dog. I've got you guys.

Thank you,

Memphis.

Best advice I can give you, and something that current circumstances might help you fast track, is teach yourself to enjoy solitude. As you've indicated above, most people stay in toxic relationships because they hate loneliness more than they hate being in a bad relationship.

That, or they just can't bear the thought of ripping off the bandaid.

Either way, once the dust settles, getting out of a toxic relationship is one of the best feelings there is.

Delighted to announce that our young bloke will be getting out of hospital in the next 2 to 3 weeks. When I heard the news, I did a jig around the kitchen table, which was a mistake because I'm not very fit - I gave myself a stitch :).

You need to enjoy your own head and you'll be more comfortable with yourself and you'll find a better partner & be a better partner.. I struggle with this too but you know life.
A great man once said that it's better to remain single, than to get married and wish you hadn't. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - my beautiful wife and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary in November, and we're hopeful that all restrictions will be lifted by then, so we can go away for a few days and celebrate properly!!!

I don’t think the military do the 20 year pension anymore.

I knew a bloke in the very late 1980's who had reached the level of captain in the AIF, and his indexed pension at only 40 was at least 5 -10k above the average middle manager's salary of the time.
I recall him telling me he joined the army because they were so desperate to attract uni graduates they could train as officers that they had these sensational retirement schemes for those who served for 20 years.

I knew a bloke in the very late 1980's who had reached the level of captain in the AIF, and his indexed pension at only 40 was at least 5 -10k above the average middle manager's salary of the time.
I recall him telling me he joined the army because they were so desperate to attract uni graduates they could train as officers that they had these sensational retirement schemes for those who served for 20 years.

I joined in 87 and we were entitled to the 20 year service pension but I’m told it was gone by the 90’s.

When I look back it was a strange career choice for someone who hated being told what to do.

Whores are inexpensive at the moment.
I joined in 87 and we were entitled to the 20 year service pension but I’m told it was gone by the 90’s.

When I look back it was a strange career choice for someone who hated being told what to do.

My understanding is the 20 year thing is gone, but if you do 25 years and are over 55, you can take a pension. The longer you push it out, the bigger your income stream becomes. They also have a lump sum benefit as well which they and the army contributes to (which is not available till he is 60 if he simply wants to withdraw it). Did a projection for a client recently (although pre covid), that if he hangs out for another 8 years, he'll be on a yearly income stream of $85k a year and have a lump sum of nearly a $mill. He's not particularly highly ranked either. If you can handle being in the army for 30 odd years, or enjoy it, you'll never be poor.

Whores are inexpensive at the moment.

My understanding is the 20 year thing is gone, but if you do 25 years and are over 55, you can take a pension. The longer you push it out, the bigger your income stream becomes. They also have a lump sum benefit as well which they and the army contributes to (which is not available till he is 60 if he simply wants to withdraw it). Did a projection for a client recently (although pre covid), that if he hangs out for another 8 years, he'll be on a yearly income stream of $85k a year and have a lump sum of nearly a $mill. He's not particularly highly ranked either. If you can handle being in the army for 30 odd years, or enjoy it, you'll never be poor.

Whores what now?

So Papa telling us whores are like petrol, cheap, but you cannot really use it?

Papa G financial advice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Koch family financial advice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm generally an anxious person thinking of what could go wrong so was quite stressed by the whole situation a month or so back. I'm now reasonably comfortable with where things are going ... lots of credit to how Australia has handled the issue in general, but I believe our geographic isolation has helped.
Work wise I haven't been impacted, albeit I occasionally work a day from home,... but I'm utilizing the downtime on weekends (not being able to go out) going bush-walking with the Mrs to help her with the situation and working on my ISO-project/moneypit ... a port themed virtual pinball cabinet, which I'm finding a lot of fun .. currently mocking up artwork for the cabinet. Software is configured and ready to go, and the actual cabinet is close to ready for assembly. (work in progress- ignore my s**t graphics skills, I'm just using powerpoint to get a concept)
1588294120065.png

Last edited:
My family received the best possible news this week. I've mentioned in another thread that our autistic son was hospitalised last August, following behavioural issues at home, which I won't go into again. Yesterday, after 7 long months, we received the news we've been waiting for - he'll be moving into his own home within the next few weeks.
That's great news M8💪

Instead of replying to everyone, I thought I'd make another post.

Just want to say a huge thank you for everyone that replied and reached out it does mean a lot and I have to be honest as much as I know there are plenty of helpful people here on big footy was still an effort to press send and at the end of the day I'm happy to have done so.

I've taken in everyone's responses and will definitely give them a go. It was a bit of a rough day but thankfully I was able to spend some time with my close mates who helped me out today. I do believe time does heal but for the moment needed to let it out just been a mess the last couple of days really hit me hard.

It was an unexpected turn for her to leave hurts more when you don't see it coming but at the end of the day, I have to admit she did me a favour because truth be told i wouldn't have left her. Eddie Dingle after reading your post I promise I won't be Amanda jones again. On the funny side, I do have some poor judgement in women which I probably need more help in than anything else lol.

Again my heart goes out to everyone with their messages and sharing ideas for me to do in the meantime, can't thank you enough I guess a round for everyone on me is appropriate. The black dog has left and hopefully won't come back again but if it does I know where to reach out. It is satisfying posting on here to know I have people willing to reach out and take the time out of their day to help me.

Hope you all are staying safe and keeping well. F*ck loneliness and f*ck the black dog. I've got you guys.

Thank you,

Memphis.
Great to hear it, it’s a journey and your heading in the right direction. Speaking from experience the black dog never really goes away, it just becomes smaller and tamed. Excellent video on the black dog institute website from memory that gives a great perspective on it all.

As for the single part, I am one that wants someone special to share life with and once the ex and I split thought it would never happen again (check my post #327 in this thread).

I have managed to meet someone in this pandemic that is so much more aligned to my interests and values than I have ever met before and we are very in tune and makes me wonder why I ‘settled’ for my previous love (not complaining, 3 amazing daughters have come from it). So, it can and will happen, value what is important to you at all times.

Great to hear it, it’s a journey and your heading in the right direction. Speaking from experience the black dog never really goes away, it just becomes smaller and tamed. Excellent video on the black dog institute website from memory that gives a great perspective on it all.

As for the single part, I am one that wants someone special to share life with and once the ex and I split thought it would never happen again (check my post #327 in this thread).

I have managed to meet someone in this pandemic that is so much more aligned to my interests and values than I have ever met before and we are very in tune and makes me wonder why I ‘settled’ for my previous love (not complaining, 3 amazing daughters have come from it). So, it can and will happen, value what is important to you at all times.

Thats good news man.

Happy for you

Hang in there mate and snozulu , a lot of s**t goes on and we get challenged by it.

Someone said to me once that life never throws more at you than you can handle. I didn't believe it, but then I look at how challenging it was to have a child, and thought I could never cope with a second and of course the third one came along and somehow we coped.

Now for the less positive sounding example.....

Feb 2018 - my dad passes away and I never really get 'over' it

Feb 2019 - we sign a contract to sell the house, find a new house that is an awesome upgrade. Call the bank for the extra 70K and get approved. Agree with wifey to make the offer on the new place.....only for her to tell me 2 days later that she wants to leave. Fallen out of love and believes happiness for both of us will come if we are separate (no infidelity, drugs, alcohol or abuse involved, she just felt our happiness was not going to happen together). With the ex for 22 years (my entire adult life) made me think that no-one else would ever be there with me and I was on my own forever. Work as a client manager, always 'on', always positive, always presenting the best face to clients and internally to the office

May 2019 - move into an apartment and for the first time live alone. Friends and family, even those that help with the move in, don't call, don't message. Mum, my bro don't speak to me for weeks and I don't call them or any friends. They don't know and work doesn't know that I can't leave the shower for 45 mins each morning and cry most of the way in the car to work. Game face is always on once parking the car.

Aug 2019 - flu plus stress, I break down and can't go to work for 2 weeks, don't trust my boss and couldn't face her - ex wife and kids given the impression everything is fine, go back to work and convince the boss I am right to stay
Oct 2019 - declare I am done on FB and cutoff from everyone, calls and messages show that I am not alone but it is not enough. End up opting for a stint in an hospital program to address anxiety and depression as the psychologist and GP say there is little more they can do.....it sounded like they were giving up at first, but it was them identifying and ensuring I had the best chance and best tools to improve

Nov 2019 - leave hospital, kids have no idea where I was for most of October (and still don't know) and still somehow I manage to organise my first, first date in 23 years for the night I get discharged

Feb 2020 - get made redundant
March 2020 - get a new job on less than half previous pay, but at least it is required and it pays the bills. Meet a lady (my 8th first date in 23 years) and all seems so perfect with her. I have no stress at work (in fact get to help people a lot) and a great relationship with my kids and my ex as well as having the time of my social isolated life with the new lady.

Short version - so much s**t, so many times had enough and didn't think I could take anymore but life never throws more at you than you can handle. So still here and despite it all, my thoughts, feelings and all the rest are more positive than they have been for years. Biggest change was asking for help (medication, hospital stay and the course there, meeting new people, even exercise has started again - all contribute, but asking was the big thing)

Hang in there and always happy to help. Every circumstance is different, the parts that are the same is that you aren't alone and there is help, just have to ask.

Stay strong
Thanks for sharing brother

Thanks brother for the advice about the black dog I'll keep that in mind.

I appreciate the post and your story that you've openly shared. It is good to see that someone special has come to you through this time really does show me what can happen even during the darkest times there is always a glimmer of light happy for you man. It was always just having to go through all the time and effort to build it up for it all to come down in a matter of moments and the thought of going through it again really does get me anxious but still in fairness I don't to be any different to the next one that comes along because it wouldn't be fair on them.

I will value what is important to me and hopefully find someone that shares the same values and feelings as I do towards them, thank you for the great post.

As bad as things are for many people in Australia, let's just be thankful that none of us live in New York. The numbers there are difficult to comprehend:

* A death rate of more than 1200 per million.
* A friend mentioned to me recently that she heard about a doctor in New York, who lost 321 patients in 1 night.

Geez we're bloody lucky to live in Australia!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back