Radiohead 50-1

Remove this Banner Ad

Where did you seem them on the AMSP tour?
Florence and Manchester. I was a fair way back for the Firenze show. Italians are known by Italians themselves as pretty laid back but they get things done, however the Waste entry ended up being the farthest back and I was outside the main pit. Still so fun and special and welled up during Let Down; never thought I'd see that one live prior to the tour. Manchester had a great set list and some nice surprises and such a *in vibe, but that's also just Manchester the city.

Like the audio quality of the soundcheck bootleg.

Was one of those song title candidates floating around in the 2006-11 period, most Radiohead fans at the time were aware of it.

Listening to this, sounds like a song to take live in America at that point in time. Might have been specifically designed as a live jam for that audience. Soundwise it doesn't really suit some of the Eraser/IR/TKOL aesthetic, more of a HTTT fume so can see why it got left on the bench. Live b-side might have been the best bet.

Interesting to hear how he almost plays the arranger role, teeing up samples and things in his own monitors for live shows.

I’m not a big fan of any of the bands solo works, to be honest. Ed’s album is the most full sounding solo record in terms of instrumentation, it’s my cup of tea as it’s very Cuttooth sounding. It’s a pleasant album.
I thought the Eraser was a great album, Atoms for Peace (the song) is one of Thom’s most emotional performances IMO.

I still need to listen to Anima. The Eraser sounded like a pre-cursor to King of Limbs, which I still cannot get into at all. To me it sounds like C-grade Burial or even Portishead with bad lyrics, I think Thom has generally been declining lyrically since The Bends/OKC.

I rate Jonny’s solo stuff though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still need to listen to Anima. The Eraser sounded like a pre-cursor to King of Limbs, which I still cannot get into at all. To me it sounds like C-grade Burial or even Portishead with bad lyrics, I think Thom has generally been declining lyrically since The Bends/OKC.

I rate Jonny’s solo stuff though.
Eraser/TKOL don't sound anything like Burial or Portishead at all (or even like each other). TKOL and Thom solo seems to inspire so many bad comparisons. That said, HTTT through TMB does show a learning curve of leveraging those side projects to indulge in sounds that might be counterproductive to collective cohesion and refinement.

Anima was really good, but the response felt like the hipsters finally catching up with what Thom Yorke solo has always been about. Even as recently as TMB hipsters were a bit more rockist, less poptimist and completely entry-level with electronic, and so those records never had a hope. Anima did demonstrate more production finesse.

I enjoy Jonny's stuff as well (Phantom Thread, TWBB, Junun, etc. all worth owning), but if I had to pick I'd have to go for Thom's stuff (including Amok and generally astute features/collabs over the years).

Last edited:
Eraser/TKOL don't sound anything like Burial or Portishead at all (or even like each other). TKOL and Thom solo seems to inspire so many bad comparisons. That said, HTTT through TMB does show a learning curve of leveraging those side projects to indulge in sounds that might be counterproductive to collective cohesion and refinement.

Anima was really good, but the response felt like the hipsters finally catching up with what Thom Yorke solo has always been about. Even as recently as TMB hipsters were a bit more rockist, less poptimist and completely entry-level with electronic, and so those records never had a hope. Anima did demonstrate more production finesse.

I enjoy Jonny's stuff as well (Phantom Thread, TWBB, Junun, etc. all worth owning), but if I had to pick I'd have to go for Thom's stuff (including Amok and generally astute features/collabs over the years).

I'd disagree strongly with TKOL not sounding like Burial or Portishead. Those chopped up beats are quintessential Burial, and some of those tracks (Morning Mr Magpie in particular) sound like they've been ripped straight off Third.

My unpopular opinion is Radiohead just isn't that good at making electronic music, and I don't think hardcore Radiohead fans have ever had any problem accepting their electronic experimentations, be it grand arrangements or the far more stripped down sound post In Rainbows. It's been in their DNA to change their approach on every release, and if you enjoy every thing they release that'd only reinforce your certainty in their capabilities as a band and as solo artists.

I will have to venture into Anima though.

I'd disagree strongly with TKOL not sounding like Burial or Portishead. Those chopped up beats are quintessential Burial, and some of those tracks (Morning Mr Magpie in particular) sound like they've been ripped straight off Third.

My unpopular opinion is Radiohead just isn't that good at making electronic music, and I don't think hardcore Radiohead fans have ever had any problem accepting their electronic experimentations, be it grand arrangements or the far more stripped down sound post In Rainbows. It's been in their DNA to change their approach on every release, and if you enjoy every thing they release that'd only reinforce your certainty in their capabilities as a band and as solo artists.

Well it is interesting that you hear that. I am a big fan of Third and own some Burial releases but I just never get that vibe at all from TKOL. They just seem like token comparison points.

Anima doesn't really have a dud track, so you can't go wrong, although I don't see myself returning to it too regularly over the years. Twist and The Axe are probably my favourites.

I am a massive Radiohead fan and I would agree that they are a much better band when they get the guitars out and play. In Rainbows being the perfect example. It is nothing like their earlier works - but it is instrument based.

Having said that there is no band in history that has stayed at the top of their game forever. They all eventually run out of the really good stuff.

I am a massive Radiohead fan and I would agree that they are a much better band when they get the guitars out and play. In Rainbows being the perfect example. It is nothing like their earlier works - but it is instrument based.

Having said that there is no band in history that has stayed at the top of their game forever. They all eventually run out of the really good stuff.

Agreed, but it’s all a matter of personal taste. Other Radiohead fanatics hate The Bends, are lukewarm on OKC, but love Kid A (which was their biggest foray into electronica) and will talk up Amnesiac and KOL as some of their best.

A lot also depends on when you’re listening to the album, and in what context.

Amnesiac is the perfect early AM chill LP, but Kid A and AMSP are pretty moody and are perfect to listen to in the middle of Winter, and hit the hardest when you’re a bit low.

I can pretty much listen to In Rainbows because of how effortless and life affirming it is. It’s arguably the most consistent Radiohead LP too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back