The Non-Footy Sports Discussion Thread

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sump wrestling still seems to be going in Japan if you are very desperate for some sport.

images.jpeg-10.jpg

Been to Japan a few times and can't see the excitement in wrestling one of these.
Mabashi dim-sims were good though 👍

Bit disappointed Khabib and Tony aren’t fighting tbh.

Same, still some solid fights on the card though.

Cursed matchup but I'm hopeful it will happen later in the year if not early next year. (Provided Tony wins which he should)

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Same, still some solid fights on the card though.

Cursed matchup but I'm hopeful it will happen later in the year if not early next year. (Provided Tony wins which he should)

I wonder what effect this bitch of a virus will have on MMA?

It would be especially hard for the grapplers like the BJJ guys to stay on top of their game at the moment. It’s a great time for them to work in their striking

Hang on, the NRL might have jumped the gun here...

Remember how we said that the NRL had received final approvals for the club to fly into Australia to isolate, train and play... Well, that is actually not the case.

The NRL released a statement at 09:14 AM AEST saying the Warriors will be allowed into Tamworth tomorrow... However, the ABC understands that Border Force has still not granted the NRL permission.

Yesterday the Prime Minister said "no amount of reporting it will change that decision" when asked whether the New Zealand Warriors had been granted permission from border force "those authorities have not been provided and it is not the job for the National Cabinet to do that."

Later on 2GB, the Prime Minister said he hoped it would be soon, but still said it hadn't happened.

The Warriors are holding a press conference this morning... so we'll see what they say.

5 minutes later:

Peter Dutton confirms Warriors will be allowed into Australia to resume NRL season

The Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton has confirmed border force has granted the New Zealand Warriors permission to come to Australia. The NRL lodged a application seeking an exemption from current travel restrictions.

In an attempt to curb the spread of coronavirus, only Australian citizens and permanent residents are allowed into the country. But Border Force has provided an exemption for 36 players and staff from the Warriors, who will fly into the New South Wales town of Tamworth tomorrow.

They will be placed into isolation for 14 days where they will be permitted to train.

EW-LgctU8AAS95p.png:large

2:40 on that 2nd video... I was waiting for it... The great man LeTiss!

A highlight reel to equal anyone's in the sport... Wish it had commentary:

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sumo wrestling still seems to be going in Japan if you are very desperate for some sport.

A 28-year-old Japanese sumo wrestler infected with the virus has died, the Japan Sumo Association (JSA) has announced, the first in the sport to fall victim to the virus.

Shobushi, whose real name is Kiyotaka Suetake, died from multiple organ failure caused by the virus.

He had been the first sumo wrestler to test positive for the virus on 10 April, said Kyodo News.

His condition quickly worsened and he entered intensive care nine days later.

Illawarra Hawks liquidated, with NBL staff and players owed hundreds of thousands

Creditors have voted to liquidate the Illawarra Hawks' remaining assets after the team was put into administration for the second time in five years. A report from administrator Michael Jones revealed the Hawks were unable to meet outstanding debts of more than $2 million and recommended the company be wound up. It also revealed staff and players who had been stood down since April were owed about $750,000.

The NBL currently owns the franchise licence after taking it back from former owner Simon Stratford, and it has committed to paying outstanding player salaries. However, there has been no word on whether the league will honour the contracts of other Hawks staff, including coach Matt Flinn, who was one year into a three-year deal.

The Hawks made history last season when their game against the Sydney Kings attracted the biggest ever NBL crowd of 17,514 fans. One of main drawcards was new Hawks recruit 18-year-old LaMelo Ball — the face of the NBL's inaugural NextStars program.

"[It's] extremely disappointing. I've been around this club all my life and been through a few tough times but I would say this is the hardest time simply because of the uncertainty at the moment," Flinn said.
He said aside from its financial woes the Hawks were starting to turn things around during the latest NBL season and were building a base for future success. "One thing I'm really proud of is, in the 12 months since I was appointed the club was close to being sustainable and really on that path financially, so I'm really confident the new owner comes in and they're going to have a good platform to work from," Flinn said.

"The NextStars program was a huge boost for the club, which solidified financially, gave us a little leg up to work towards that model of sustainability that is really important for the Illawarra and our club."
Ball's signing was a massive coup for the regional club and was predicted to provide some much-needed profile and financial support. But injuries limited Ball to just 12 appearances and meant the club received only a marginal bump to their bottom line.

Despite increasing gross profit by almost half a million dollars from the previous year, the franchise still recorded a net loss of almost $100,000 due to an increase in player salaries and operating costs. The administrator's report noted that the club failed to turn a profit in the past four years, and suffered a $1.7 million loss over the previous two financial years. The Hawks also struggled on the court, ending the 2019/20 season with 23 losses and just five wins — the worst season in the franchise's history.

Back