Discussion TV Broadcast Graphics - Designs & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a quick idea I've been meaning to put together for a while, not a huge overhaul or anything but it's slightly bigger than the current Seven scorebug and uses lower caps for a softer and cleaner look. The team logos are also extended for more visual appeal

Scorebug.png

Just a quick idea I've been meaning to put together for a while, not a huge overhaul or anything but it's slightly bigger than the current Seven scorebug and uses lower caps for a softer and cleaner look. The team logos are also extended for more visual appeal

View attachment 867389
Nice

Might just be me, but I'd shrink the quarter time information a tad.

View attachment 867389

It's clean but I don't think I've ever seen sentence case used for a scorebug – ever, anywhere, in any sport – because it just isn't easy to read at a glance. Sorry, I think it's nice on a computer screen but not practicable in a real life use case.

Nice

Might just be me, but I'd shrink the quarter time information a tad.
It's clean but I don't think I've ever seen sentence case used for a scorebug – ever, anywhere, in any sport – because it just isn't easy to read at a glance. Sorry, I think it's nice on a computer screen but not practicable in a real life use case.

Thank you for the feedback MKMatty and Gibbsy, it's much appreciated. I've shrunk the quarter time size and also switched to using capital letters for the team names, and echoing your comments Gibbsy, while the original design looks nice on my laptop, I feel this would be more suited for TV (and looking closer I feel that I underrated capital letters in my original idea)

Another thing is that Geelong Cats and West Coast Eagles are two of the longer names in the competition (so it might not have been the best choice of match for demonstrating my idea). Like the current Seven scorebug, it would be much shorter for Carlton vs Hawthorn or Richmond vs St Kilda

I also cleaned up a few things in this revision with the size and style of the logos as well, in the first version posted the sizing of the logos was a bit off

Scorebug D.png

Thank you for the feedback MKMatty and Gibbsy, it's much appreciated. I've shrunk the quarter time size and also switched to using capital letters for the team names, and echoing your comments Gibbsy, while the original design looks nice on my laptop, I feel this would be more suited for TV (and looking closer I feel that I underrated capital letters in my original idea)

Another thing is that Geelong Cats and West Coast Eagles are two of the longer names in the competition (so it might not have been the best choice of match for demonstrating my idea). Like the current Seven scorebug, it would be much shorter for Carlton vs Hawthorn or Richmond vs St Kilda

I also cleaned up a few things in this revision with the size and style of the logos as well, in the first version posted the sizing of the logos was a bit off

View attachment 867526
Amuse me, what would it look like if the time section was 'Q2' with time beneath it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 868729View attachment 868730

I Feel like Optus Sports is due an overhaul so I made these. Thoughts?
Optus take the PL world feed from IMG with an international graphics package - same for UEFA stuff off memory. I like the look of this (although I wish the outer diagonals went outside-top to inside-bottom like the rest of the graphics) but OS will probably only make their own graphics if they produce their own, local content (A-League?)

International PL broadcasts always use the in-house PL graphics. The only broadcasts you’ll see with graphics done by the broadcaster themselves are the domestic UK broadcasts.
NBC in the US also have their own graphics, so I guess there is nothing stopping optus using their own graphics

NBC in the US also have their own graphics, so I guess there is nothing stopping optus using their own graphics
I used to see NBC and ESPN use their own graphics back when the PL used the old branding before the refresh. I guess I haven’t watched any illegal streams since then as I’ve had Optus Sport since it launched.

I doubt Optus would invest in a graphics package when they’ve got one available already, and I doubt they’d end up with a product that looked better than the in house ones. They’re excellent.

Channel 10s first game in 2005 with their new graphics was between the pies and the dogs in round 1.

In this post I’ll show screenshots of the score bug from the first qt. Adjustments had to be made because the count down clock was hard to read.
1DEAEE36-E401-48CF-BADD-8AD88F4E7DC7.png
1. start of the game, the clock was very hard to read in some places.
469CE20A-7DEA-46A5-B07A-7D63CE7067A5.png
2. After a few mins it was covered with a white box for a period of time.
85BE1891-CFCC-4AB5-A36D-11A06D8B7D28.png
3. no sign of anything for 5-10mins
B2A8AD9B-3429-4584-B58B-76AC479F96AF.png
4. Graphics back but a different size and font, still with no clock
CC51D3E3-05F7-4092-A290-BE0F193A431F.png
5. moved over so it’s more visible
33EFD21A-1450-4D45-9E21-29EF01B3BAD3.png
6. brought back to new original graphics with back around the clock, and a lot darker blue.
A7EED728-0C93-4B14-8DB4-C6E5D28E9DBD.png
7. back to the lighter shade of blue and black.

The club logos would eventually get removed from the score bug in round 4 or 5 of that season and the blue will be just as dark as photo 6 later in the season.

Bit of a shame really, if these graphics were in widescreen they would have fit really well.
Probably the best looking scorebug the AFL ever had.
That Channel 10 period was the best broadcasting period we've had

Remove this Banner Ad

Back