Casual mentions of Australia in films

Remove this Banner Ad

Point break. 50 year storm happens only in Australia, bells beach.

edit: already mentioned, repartition for emphasis.
Then they filmed Bells Beach in Hawaii and put a filter over it

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Tarantino has a bit of a thing for Australia. From memory he’s mentioned it in a few films and Django has him playing an Aussie (with an awful accent) next to John Jarrat.

I am legend was on the other day, had a random reference to Australia developing a cure from memory (in a flashback scene).

Also MI2 (the real s**t one) has half the film set in sydney for no discernible reason at all.
Tarantino mentions Australia a lot in Django as he considers Australia to be one of the most historically racist countries in the world

Words from his mouth

Tarantino mentions Australia a lot in Django as he considers Australia to be one of the most historically racist countries in the world

Words from his mouth

He’s not wrong but that is interesting coming from the dude who seems to love a racial slur more than anyone on the planet

In the original Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Blomqvist travels to Australia where he meets up with the missing Harriet. I haven't seen the remake; never saw the point of it.

James Coburn in the movie The Great Escape played an Australian

Some people probably don’t realise, because he’s Aussie accent was not very good

Allegedly Robert Downey junior did an Aussie accent in Natural Born Killers. Allegedly.
One of the better Australian accents is by Donald Pleasence when he came to Australia to film Wake in Fright in 1971.

Allegedly Robert Downey junior did an Aussie accent in Natural Born Killers. Allegedly.
One of the better Australian accents is by Donald Pleasence when he came to Australia to film Wake in Fright in 1971.

Downey was also technically an Aussie in Tropic Thunder (albeit and Aussie actor playing an African American soldier)

The Danny Boyle film Sunshine.

At the end when they successfully re-ignite the sun they show the snow covered opera house just brighten a little.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Downey was also technically an Aussie in Tropic Thunder (albeit and Aussie actor playing an African American soldier)
He was ripping off Russell Crowe

RDJ based his character on Aussie shock jock Steve Dunleavy

Superman II Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor is happy for the 3 super villains to run Earth as long as he gets "Australia" as part of helping them find and destroy the "Son of Jor-El"

I found a clip of this scene. There is also available footage from later in the movie of Zod declaring, "Lex Luthor, ruler of Australia."

(I wonder whether he'd do a better job than Sco Mo.)

Saving Mr Banks

During one of the Australian based scenes Colin Farrell makes a speech at a town fair, "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, I'm honoured to be here on behalf of the Belhatchett Bank of Australia."

Farrell does quite a good Australian accent in this film. It's not too broad or corny.

Tarantino has a bit of a thing for Australia. From memory he’s mentioned it in a few films and Django has him playing an Aussie (with an awful accent) next to John Jarrat.

I am legend was on the other day, had a random reference to Australia developing a cure from memory (in a flashback scene).

Also MI2 (the real s**t one) has half the film set in sydney for no discernible reason at all.

MI 2 is my favourite in the series purely because of the Australian setting!

Ooops

American actor Kevin Kline played an Australian tycoon in the 1997 movie 'Fierce Creatures' which was set in England.

Sandy from Grease is obviously Australian, but this apparently only came about due to the casting of Australian actress and singer Olivia Newton John in the role for the 1978 movie. Before this the character of Sandy was not Australian in the stage versions of Grease, but after the film it has become customary for Sandy to be Australian in stage productions of the musical.

In Cruel Intentions in 1999 the character Cecillie (played by Selma Blair) is seen wearing a koala tee-shirt and talking about a recent holiday in Australia while talking with Sebastian and Kathryn, and of course Sebastian cannot resist making some crude joke about things 'Down Under'.

In the 2006 film Click, David Hasellhoff plays Adam Sandler's boss, and has an Australian assistant named Stacy, played by Australian actress Sophie Monk. The Stacy character is a bit of a bimbo, and Hasselhoff's character is seen to indulge his foot fetish with her.

In the forgotten 1997 film 'Excess Baggage' Alicia Silverstone plays Emily, the spoiled daughter of a very rich Australian tycoon played by Jack Thompson. Emily always stages stunts to get her father's attention, but this backfires when she attempts to fake her own kidnapping - only to be kidnapped for real.

Words from his mouth

I assumed it was because he's always appreciated Australian cinema, particularly the ozploitation scene of the 70s.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back