Politics How does the left get its political mojo back and win power?

Remove this Banner Ad

Take a look at this thread on twitter (i.e. don't just read the first post). Apparently this is now part of the compulsory curriculum for kinder to grade two in British Columbia.
Does the left need to do more or less of this? It seems very ill-liberal to me, but I would be interested in people's reactions.

Edit - I've not verified its authenticity so there is still the chance it's BS.

Take a look at this thread on twitter (i.e. don't just read the first post). Apparently this is now part of the compulsory curriculum for kinder to grade two in British Columbia.
Does the left need to do more or less of this? It seems very ill-liberal to me, but I would be interested in people's reactions.

Edit - I've not verified its authenticity so there is still the chance it's BS.

Some of this is clearly garbage, she says "One lesson is about a boy who likes dresses. Ergo the lesson is on how boy is *actually* a girl, not about how boys, too, can like dresses" when the question itself clearly shows that this person identifies as a girl. And the book itself explicitly states this, as can be seen in a review linked further down:

Screenshot_20200506-101409_Twitter.jpg

So a lot of what this woman is saying is poorly disguised BS. She complains that "Our children deserve better than 1950s sex stereotypes" when she is the one trying to shoehorn that stereotype into a story that isn't about that.

On the separate subject of whether gender and sexuality should be taught to children, my response is, of course it should. God forbid we teach tolerance, respect and understanding between people to children. For those who say they're too young to learn this, I strongly disagree. Parents routinely expect their children to conform to gender stereotypes and impose heterosexual norms on them (for example, family members saying "he's going to be such a ladykiller when he grows up" or "she's going to make all the boys jealous"). So I have no sympathy for such an argument.

Some of this is clearly garbage, she says "One lesson is about a boy who likes dresses. Ergo the lesson is on how boy is *actually* a girl, not about how boys, too, can like dresses" when the question itself clearly shows that this person identifies as a girl. And the book itself explicitly states this, as can be seen in a review linked further down:

View attachment 870901

So a lot of what this woman is saying is poorly disguised BS. She complains that "Our children deserve better than 1950s sex stereotypes" when she is the one trying to shoehorn that stereotype into a story that isn't about that.

On the separate subject of whether gender and sexuality should be taught to children, my response is, of course it should. God forbid we teach tolerance, respect and understanding between people to children. For those who say they're too young to learn this, I strongly disagree. Parents routinely expect their children to conform to gender stereotypes and impose heterosexual norms on them (for example, family members saying "he's going to be such a ladykiller when he grows up" or "she's going to make all the boys jealous"). So I have no sympathy for such an argument.
Interesting that I took away something quite different from that thread. My interpretation was that the poster was taking issue with the notion that a boy wanting to wear a dress should automatically be categorised as somebody who truly identifies as a girl, as opposed to somebody who thought it might be fun/interesting to wear a dress. In other words, if a boy wears a dress, that's it, she's passed the gender dysphoria diagnostic test, she a she now and from here on we should only tolerate views that endorse that perspective and not question those views ever.

Do you think a kinder-aged boy who wants to play with Barbies should be questioned about whether he truly feels like a boy? I'd be surprised if you did, but it looks like that's what's being insisted on here. It seems counterproductive to me having a situation where if a boy decides to wear a dress, play with Barbie, or whatever, the school makes that into some sort of significant moment in history where the truth is revealed for that young person. Way to discourage people from coming out of their closets.

On the separate issue you mention in your last para, was there something in the tweets that made you think the author was opposed to teaching tolerance? I didn't spot it but I'm curious as to what you saw in there prompted you to write that paragraph.

Your country is not going to produce much cannon fodder if it lets little boys play with dolls

Just call them something more blokey. Something like 'action figure'.

GI+Joe+Dollar+General+Basic+Assortment+Pack.JPG

Stop being so obnoxious and divisive. A lot of people regardless of race, religious background, gender and sexual orientation have their financial, physical and/or mental demons. Some people display the same levels of ignorance that they aggressively accuse others for having.

Last edited:

Two very good points from one of my favourite commentators in the social media cesspit.

The best thing Biden can do is continue to distance himself from the 'Defund the police' protesters.

In Australian context Defund The Police is not a smart message to show off to battlers in low socioeconomic areas who are most affected by crime. All well and good to get behind it.....if you are a university student or a well off person (e.g. like some FTA TV commentators) who doesn't feel significant strain with meeting living expenses.

A new party needs to be created that attracts outspoken fat/lesbian women and the bearded beta dudes. ALP should be attracting the secular working class and more intelligent individuals not the deadbeats of society

Interesting that I took away something quite different from that thread. My interpretation was that the poster was taking issue with the notion that a boy wanting to wear a dress should automatically be categorised as somebody who truly identifies as a girl, as opposed to somebody who thought it might be fun/interesting to wear a dress.
The story description made it very clear that Bailey is not simply a boy who wants to wear a dress, but mentally a girl, born into the wrong body. So your interpretation is not relevant to the story.

Do you think a kinder-aged boy who wants to play with Barbies should be questioned about whether he truly feels like a boy?
No, that's for the child to decide. Authority figures should encourage him to express himself and his identity fully and listen to how he perceives himself to be.

I'd be surprised if you did, but it looks like that's what's being insisted on here.
What specifically led you to that conclusion?

On the separate issue you mention in your last para, was there something in the tweets that made you think the author was opposed to teaching tolerance? I didn't spot it but I'm curious as to what you saw in there prompted you to write that paragraph.
There's her explicitly saying she had an issue with the teaching of gender identity to children. On top of that, this woman refers to herself as a TERF, meaning a feminist who does not believe transgender identities are valid. JK Rowling is a good example of a TERF. Many social progressives (possibly a majority but I can't be sure) consider TERFs to be intolerant bigots who serve the interests of social conservatives.

Are we talking about people who identify themselves as left, or the ‘straw man’ construction right wing jocks get a hard on over?

seems to me the latter regard themselves as th experts on the left, but struggle to articulate what they themselves stand for

Two very good points from one of my favourite commentators in the social media cesspit.

The best thing Biden can do is continue to distance himself from the 'Defund the police' protesters.

In Australian context Defund The Police is not a smart message to show off to battlers in low socioeconomic areas who are most affected by crime. All well and good to get behind it.....if you are a university student or a well off person (e.g. like some FTA TV commentators) who doesn't feel significant strain with meeting living expenses.

‘isn’t it well known the British Tories defunded the police the best of all?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A new party needs to be created that attracts outspoken fat/lesbian women and the bearded beta dudes. ALP should be attracting the secular working class and more intelligent individuals not the deadbeats of society
You mean the greens?

ps. The working class are mostly the beta dudes. Those who failed to succeed.

men go for looks. Women go for success. The working class are the unsuccessful. The betas.

So, since this thread was created, we've seen the election of the centre-left (and I use that term loosely) in the US and Germany, and its re-election in Queensland, Western Australia, Aotearoa and Canada. Although we had 50 pages of argument about culture wars, in reality it had nothing to do with that, and everything to do with looking more competent than the main conservative opponent. In the short-term, that seems to be their path to success.

So, since this thread was created, we've seen the election of the centre-left (and I use that term loosely) in the US and Germany, and its re-election in Queensland, Western Australia, Aotearoa and Canada. Although we had 50 pages of argument about culture wars, in reality it had nothing to do with that, and everything to do with looking more competent than the main conservative opponent. In the short-term, that seems to be their path to success.
Don't forget the massive swings against Bolsonaro in Brazil.

Yeah, most people in the real world don't give a fu** about the culture wars. Those that believe otherwise need to spend more time outside.
I disagree - culture wards keep a good percentage of voters voting against their own interests

Maybe. It looks that way in America, but there aren't nearly as many prominent, prevalent YouTube voices and the like in the Australian woke v anti-woke arena of shallow bullshit.
I know plenty of blue collar arse hanging out of their pants types who vite coalition because they dont like brown people and lgtbiq folk.

literally lambs voting for wolves.

I know plenty of blue collar arse hanging out of their pants types who vite coalition because they dont like brown people and lgtbiq folk.

literally lambs voting for wolves.

‘Preserving our British/Aussie way of life from excessive immigration’ when the culture they are referring to has literally evolved from what immigrants brought.

celtic and Aussie indigenous culture excepted, but that’s not what these people think they Are ‘preserving’

‘Preserving our British/Aussie way of life from excessive immigration’ when the culture they are referring to has literally evolved from what immigrants brought.

celtic and Aussie indigenous culture excepted, but that’s not what these people think they Are ‘preserving’
As they have a souvlaki/ vindaloo/ uncle billy’s at 2 am after a night on the lash

Don't forget the massive swings against Bolsonaro in Brazil.
I'll count that when the election arrives and Lula kicks his arse by double digits.

I disagree - culture wards keep a good percentage of voters voting against their own interests
What percentage, do you reckon? In any case, it's not a majority of voters. The point of this thread isn't to focus on those people because they'll probably never vote Labor, it's to focus on how Labor can win the swinging voters back to their side.

I'll count that when the election arrives and Lula kicks his arse by double digits.

What percentage, do you reckon? In any case, it's not a majority of voters. The point of this thread isn't to focus on those people because they'll probably never vote Labor, it's to focus on how Labor can win the swinging voters back to their side.
The point being they were labor rusted ons before the culture wars.

thats how the wedge works. The right inflate crap out of one issue, making it the biggest issue for these people thus getting them to vote for cuts to themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back