NFL Aussies in the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

FORMER St Kilda forward Arryn Siposs is on the verge of becoming the fifth ex-AFL player to realise his NFL dream, signing as an undrafted free agent to the Detroit Lions on Sunday morning.

Siposs was overlooked throughout the three-day NFL Draft, with only two punters selected in the entire seven rounds, but was among the first players to sign with a team as an undrafted free agent in the aftermath.
I have no idea why he (Or any other failed AFL player) is allowed to play college football considering their amatuer rules.

No mention yet, but there's an Aussie on the Eagles roster as part of the Pathway program : Matt Leo

That makes 3 Aussies at Philly.

No mention yet, but there's an Aussie on the Eagles roster as part of the Pathway program : Matt Leo

That makes 3 Aussies at Philly.
Defensive End too. Getting sick of the majority being punters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As most people know, money ain’t everything, so hopefully he’s happy with his work/life situation.

he just made 55 million aus if he never plays another game. Money isn’t everything but it goes a pretty ******* long way. He just changed his great grandchildren’s future.

he just made 55 million aus if he never plays another game. Money isn’t everything but it goes a pretty ******* long way. He just changed his great grandchildren’s future.

Haha, don’t even remember posting that. Based on the timestamp, I can report that I was heavily intoxicated when I did.

I do hope he likes the states, is probably all I was thinking at the time. We’re big fans of his, I promise you that.

Haha, don’t even remember posting that. Based on the timestamp, I can report that I was heavily intoxicated when I did.

I do hope he likes the states, is probably all I was thinking at the time. We’re big fans of his, I promise you that.

Theres a group in Brisbane Called Endzone Academy that have gotten 4 guys D1 scholarships (as non punters) in the last couple years. Making a start on this whole thing. Should see a few more in the league in 5-10 years.

Theres a group in Brisbane Called Endzone Academy that have gotten 4 guys D1 scholarships (as non punters) in the last couple years. Making a start on this whole thing. Should see a few more in the league in 5-10 years.

Love hearing it. And Jordan’s success should only help spur interest.

Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota scouting report​

A massive offensive lineman to fill a massive need

OT
| Minnesota | 6’ 8 1/8” and 387 pounds | Melbourne, Australia | November 9th, 1999 (22.3)

Overview:

Faalele came to Minnesota as a 4-star recruit from the IMG Academy where he was introduced to football after playing rugby and basketball in his home country of Australia. The Aussie earned a starting spot six games into his freshman season and has been a mainstay at right tackle in Minneapolis ever since. He managed to post PFF run-blocking grades of 78.9 and 70.5 as a junior and sophomore and allowed 33 career pressures, in the Gophers’ system that used a zone-heavy running scheme with a lot of play-action and short to intermediate passes.

Projection:

NFL Mock Draft Database consensus big board rank: 40th, 2nd round

The second round seems like a pretty good value for Faalele. He certainly has his flaws and is someone I’d consider “raw” at the moment, but he does show plenty of potential, especially as a run blocker, and 6’8” 380-pound dudes who can move like he does at that size don’t come around often. In other words, the Aussie is worth taking a chance on.
Schematically, his fit is a bit of an enigma. He’d probably be better in a gap system right away that allows him to execute down blocks and work up to the second level, but some of his best blocks in college came on backside cutoffs to create cutback lanes on zone runs. The problem is, his issues on combo and reach blocks will make a zone-heavy attack a rougher transition. So, I think he’d be best in a gap scheme that’s coupled with a quick passing attack at least to start his NFL career.

What do we need to know?

How will he hold up in pass protection with more true pass sets in the NFL? Minnesota’s offense helped hide some of Faalele’s flaws as a pass blocker and some of those came to light at the Senior Bowl, most notably his struggles against inside counters. Being able to stay in front of quick edge rushers in space could be his undoing at the next level.

After starting football late as a teenager in Austria, Bernhard Raimann chasing his NFL dream

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2022, 3:57 PM EST

The last Austrian-born player to play in the NFL was kicker Ray Wersching, who retired from the 49ers in 1987. Bernhard Raimann is set to be the next.

Raimann talked on PFT Live today at the Scouting Combine about how he didn’t even see an American football until he was a teenager.

“I stumbled across it pretty randomly. My dad moved to the suburbs of Vienna and I saw some guys on the street playing catch with a football. I was like 13 at the time. I ended up joining them and that’s how I first played football,” Raimann said.

Raimann joined the local Vienna Vikings club team and decided to became a Minnesota Vikings fan, and then he spent a year as an exchange student at an American high school, joined the football team, and played well enough that he was recruited as a tight end to play at Central Michigan.

After two years at Central Michigan his coaches suggested that the 6-foot-7 Raimann put on some weight and move to the offensive line, and he thrived as a tackle. He now weighs 305 pounds, and NFL scouts like his potential.

Raimann once attended an NFL game in London, and as the league continues its attempts to catch on with European fans, he may be able to play in an NFL game in his home country some day.

ed69944333d12fad401bc56652bbd6d6.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back