Super Rugby Dead?

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Who would you have though?

The best state league sides going professional or create (and bring back Perth) some new teams(Adelaide, Western Sydney, NSW Country, Qld Country?) to join current Australian SL teams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you took the words right out of my mouth.

You Already had 5 solid clubs in ACT brumbies, NSW waratahs, Queensland reds, Melbourne Rebels and Western force.

Adelaide would of been the 6th club.

a 2nd queensland side called Queensland country or Gold coast would of been the 7th

the 8th side would of been a NSW side, it could be NSW country, A western sydney side or a Newcastle or a South coast/wollongong side.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Don’t think it made a difference really.
Damage was definitely done well before she got there and the rocks were tumbling down the hill.

The cardigan brigade still hold too much power and control.
Yeah the Israel folau saga didnt help.

I didnt mind watching the super rugby. I am not a passionate fan compared to Soccer/Aleague and AFL. I am a casual fan that watches it on a pub.

My biggest issues are seeing a An Aussie side take on a South African side in Sout Africa at 3 am in the morning.

It doesnt help seeing the Australian sides constantly gett beaten by the NZ sides. Australia should of broken away around 10-12 years ago. Around 2006-2008ish would of been ok. It would of been the perfect time to have An Australian Rugby union side starting with 8 teams then slowly built it up to 10 side 12 sides.

you could renew the TV rights every 4 years. So it would of been 2007-2010 then 2011-14, then 2014-2018 and 2019-2022.

ARU could off been in a similar way of the FFA/A-league. You charge 20-25 million a year for the Australia National side and the new ARU legue where the National side would be the most Valuable thing. Once the deal in creases to 40-60 million a year the ARU league would hold more value as you have more content with expansion.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Been dead for years.

Anyhoo, an Australian comp would really just be the NRC - which no one cares about. Personally I can only see interest in rugby growing instead of shrinking year on year is a successful World Cup campaign. Next one isn't until 2023.

Our dwindling attendances are propped up by expats going along to see the visiting SA and NZ sides. However much interest there is in the Force in a given year you are guaranteed a boost if you are hosting the Crusaders or Sharks.

On field we lose to NZ teams in SR and we lose to the All Blacks in tests. If they do their own thing and we do ours I can't see us somehow closing that gap. We'll end up like Japan and Argentina were, just playing among ourselves and then hoping we are up to the standard of our opposition when it's test season.

We also open a can of worms with player movement and test eligibility. Without the SANZAR of SANZAAR TV revenues will fall. Sure it's not shared between 18 15 14 teams but I don't see Aus teams suddenly having more money to spend. There is already a player drain to Europe and Japan and less money on offer won't help that. If we have 20, 30 players in Europe the Wallabies will stink. If we start picking European players who don't come under the Giteau rule everyone will be on a plane.

Alternatively, give Andrew Forrest the reins (shudder) and try to really create World Series Rugby. Top rugby league players come to the NRL. If rugby had that going it would gain traction.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Been dead for years.

Anyhoo, an Australian comp would really just be the NRC - which no one cares about. Personally I can only see interest in rugby growing instead of shrinking year on year is a successful World Cup campaign. Next one isn't until 2023.

Our dwindling attendances are propped up by expats going along to see the visiting SA and NZ sides. However much interest there is in the Force in a given year you are guaranteed a boost if you are hosting the Crusaders or Sharks.

On field we lose to NZ teams in SR and we lose to the All Blacks in tests. If they do their own thing and we do ours I can't see us somehow closing that gap. We'll end up like Japan and Argentina were, just playing among ourselves and then hoping we are up to the standard of our opposition when it's test season.

We also open a can of worms with player movement and test eligibility. Without the SANZAR of SANZAAR TV revenues will fall. Sure it's not shared between 18 15 14 teams but I don't see Aus teams suddenly having more money to spend. There is already a player drain to Europe and Japan and less money on offer won't help that. If we have 20, 30 players in Europe the Wallabies will stink. If we start picking European players who don't come under the Giteau rule everyone will be on a plane.

Alternatively, give Andrew Forrest the reins (shudder) and try to really create World Series Rugby. Top rugby league players come to the NRL. If rugby had that going it would gain traction.
The NRC wasnt a bad league. Not bad for a cheap grass roots feeder league.

I mean I live in SA. I used to drive an hour to go to Tafe in 2010. I drove past 2 SA rugby union clubs in SA: Port Adelaide Rugby union club and Brighton Rugby union club

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
you took the words right out of my mouth.

You Already had 5 solid clubs in ACT brumbies, NSW waratahs, Queensland reds, Melbourne Rebels and Western force.

Adelaide would of been the 6th club.

a 2nd queensland side called Queensland country or Gold coast would of been the 7th

the 8th side would of been a NSW side, it could be NSW country, A western sydney side or a Newcastle or a South coast/wollongong side.
The Brumbies are actually the franchise of ACT and Southern NSW Rugby Union.
My parents and family live in the Gundagai and Tumut region and many of the people from that area are Brumbies supporters. Most of my family including myself are Brumbies members but I only get over from Adelaide for a couple of games a year ATM.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Brumbies are actually the franchise of ACT and Southern NSW Rugby Union.
My parents and family live in the Gundagai and Tumut region and many of the people from that area are Brumbies supporters. Most of my family including myself are Brumbies members but I only get over from Adelaide for a couple of games a year ATM.
I am not too Suprised to be honest.

ACT didnt look like a team that was supported by Just the Canberra people. Canberras talent pool in Rugby Union isnt huge, Hence why Canberra has lured NSW talent to Canberra to Fill up their squad.

At least with the Queensland reds they get talent from all of Queensland.

While Melbourne Rebels and Western force would get the rejects and sloppy 2nds from NSW and QLD.

Back