Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
so from what i can gather my gym (crossfit) is going to do classes of 10, everyone spread out at dedicated workstations with all gear that will be sanitised before & after all use. so no free for all, no cross use of any gear during a work out. sounds good to me, i wont be stressed about catching anything.
You've already caught Crossfit. You're terminal. 😂😂😂

8th June

Tentative date Gyms may open, at least in SA. Like the Crows, I have been training wherever I can. :drunk:

In all seriousness, that means ~10 weeks training at home. For those with no equipment, if you only did body weight exercises, while you may loses some gains, the period is not too substantial to not get back strength very quickly. Probably a solid 4-6 weeks.

A lot of the young neanderthals in my gym didnt even use to wash their hands after taking a dump...

Interesting I heard something like 75% of Triple J listeners said they'd attend a festival tomorrow if it was on, so obvious the level of intellect/care you're dealing with around that age group.

I see a lot of guys at various gyms never bothering to wash their hands after taking a piss.

I am confident the average person has little understanding of the difference of washing hands vs washing hands properly to not spread diseases. The number of times I have seen guys wipe their face with a towel and then proceed to cover the bench with the same towel, is taking stupidity to another level.

Gyms and Pubs/Clubs should be one of the last places to reopen.

I am sure in the early days, everyone will be careful and cautious, then give it a month and no one will care at all. Mind you in terms of catching the coronavirus in a months time, you would have to be very unlucky. IMO the biggest issue facing Australia is when we open up international borders.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
it's really up to the patrons to be conscious of others... most people stay at least 1.5m apart from one another as it is before CV, there's just a lot of "passing" one another down the slim walkways between equipment etc which will have to be avoided.
When most of these muppets can't even put their weights away, or bother to put their chewing gum in the bin when using cardio equipment then my expectations of the same muppets to adhere to social distancing/hygiene rules at gym are pretty bloody low

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I see a lot of guys at various gyms never bothering to wash their hands after taking a piss.

I am confident the average person has little understanding of the difference of washing hands vs washing hands properly to not spread diseases. The number of times I have seen guys wipe their face with a towel and then proceed to cover the bench with the same towel, is taking stupidity to another level.

Gyms and Pubs/Clubs should be one of the last places to reopen.

I am sure in the early days, everyone will be careful and cautious, then give it a month and no one will care at all. Mind you in terms of catching the coronavirus in a months time, you would have to be very unlucky. IMO the biggest issue facing Australia is when we open up international borders.
Agreed
so from what i can gather my gym (crossfit) is going to do classes of 10, everyone spread out at dedicated workstations with all gear that will be sanitised before & after all use. so no free for all, no cross use of any gear during a work out. sounds good to me, i wont be stressed about catching anything.
You've already caught Crossfit. You're terminal. 😂😂😂
Do crossfitters even bench?

Seen a few crossfit garage gyms on YouTube, the lack of benches in them are concerning imo

When most of these muppets can't even put their weights away, or bother to put their chewing gum in the bin when using cardio equipment then my expectations of the same muppets to adhere to social distancing/hygiene rules at gym are pretty bloody low

Lets also not forget, putting away your weights (plates) is an easy way to spread infection. In fact I have never seen plates being wiped.

Raises an interesting question. Should full fingered gloves be compulsory in gyms? (of course that also means the average person would need to understand not touching their face as well).

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
20200509_141430.jpg

Got my 3x2 mat set up yesterday from a shop in Dandenong, $29 each, stomped a few times on them, apart from my closet roller doors wobbling slightly due to ground vibration, they're holding my weight very well and are absorbing alot of impact

Didn't have flecked ones unfortunately, so thought black/blue would look best

View attachment 872688

Got my 3x2 mat set up yesterday from a shop in Dandenong, $29 each, stomped a few times on them, apart from my closet roller doors wobbling slightly due to ground vibration, they're holding my weight very well and are absorbing alot of impact

Didn't have flecked ones unfortunately, so thought black/blue would look best

Did you set this up for a permanent exercise from home or just exercising from home during the pandemic?

While it was initially frustrating and challenging working out at home, I have become comfortable with it. There are lots of pros that I didnt initially consider. For me the major one has been the peace and serenity which is something I never factored.

The one major con though for me is that it is tiresome to have to "manually" change dumbbells and barbells. Not to mention having to always make sure that those collars are on tightly too. Also increasing the weight of dumbbell/barbell has been a head f**k if you have run out of plates which is generally never been an issue at a gym.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a bench & rack at home plus some dumbbells and kettlebells so I haven't stopped. My gym is sending us out programming so I haven't even had to think about it really

Thats great.

In a kind of way Im glad all the online gym equipment sold out, I would have been receiving all this equipment I wouldnt be using in June when gyms reopen.

I did look at kettlebells. Completely sold out everywhere. Never used them before and was surprised at how much you can do with a set.

In the end it will be about 3 months since the gyms were closed, thats a long time to not exercise, but really its just an excuse for some. If you only did body weight exercises during this time, yes you would lose some strength and gains but it wouldnt take long to get back into the swing of things. 3 months is actually a decent time to give your body a rest and try alternative exercise program like bodyweight.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am still doing something wrong. I can Zercher squat 117.5kg for 5 reps yet couldn't deadlift 140kg when I attempted a 1RM yesterday. Best I could manage was 137.5kg. I'm just not getting any leg drive; I'm not pushing the floor away, I'm pulling.

I'm going to try a new cue of pointing my toes out on an angle and pushing my knees out slightly in the same direction, which helps hamstring and glute activation, staying tight, and keeping a relatively neutral spine.

I still have no idea how to "push" the weight, though. I think perhaps my hips are shooting up, that I might be moving to an upright position too soon, but who knows.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Did you set this up for a permanent exercise from home or just exercising from home during the pandemic?

While it was initially frustrating and challenging working out at home, I have become comfortable with it. There are lots of pros that I didnt initially consider. For me the major one has been the peace and serenity which is something I never factored.

The one major con though for me is that it is tiresome to have to "manually" change dumbbells and barbells. Not to mention having to always make sure that those collars are on tightly too. Also increasing the weight of dumbbell/barbell has been a head f**k if you have run out of plates which is generally never been an issue at a gym.
Ah the serenity. So much serenity.

Ah the serenity. So much serenity.

Compare that to when gyms reopen and ego lifters will be wanting to show they didnt lose their gains.

Im betting physio's and chiropractors will be the major "surprise" benefactors when gyms reopen. I already can envisage some guys going too hard too quickly.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
*Disclaimer, another long bloody post from me ;)

A bit of both, but seriously considering the transition now as I was doing exercise at home about 3 times a month even when I was going to gym but was time pressed (normally a mix of leg day or chest day where I'd squat or push up)

In front of the garage out the back there's a really nice concreted area where I do most of my leg work as there's a big wide window out there too so I'll close the blinds and use it as a mirror, the problem is it's not covered so I can't go out there when wet, so having a proper training space in that room will help with flexibility once my bench/rubber dumbbells/rubber handled Olympic plate combo come in in the next fortnight, plus the mats will be better for my knees/back. I do some stuff out on the front porch, but I won't need to go out there as much anymore as I was doing last month since I got the aerobic step, I just use the front door for band stuff really as the way the other doors are built don't suit the door anchor.

I used to be a trainer in 2010-11 before my back went kaput and spent around 3 months training clients outdoors before I found a gym to work from before my injury, so coming up with exercise ideas was key in my role back then. I trained from two different parks for example, one was good for bodyweight resistance/general cardio as it had nice green grass but plenty of park benches and poles as a playground was there too, so many push ups, inverted rows and sprints/shuttle runs were done there. The other park was good for higher intensity cardio as it had a hill with the option of using steps or a ramp, so always took the step option obviously.

So with my fitness experience, it all comes down to finding the right flexible set up and getting the right equipment in.

I've mentioned them before a few times on here but Ironmaster seem to be tailor made for what I'm looking in to in regards to saving space if I do make the transition

For example

When the time is right and supply stocks up again, if I spend 2.5-3k on a pretty thorough set up of theirs, what I'd need is:

Adjustable dumbbell kit + 120 pound extension kit (was always planning on getting this in)

And their tailor made Super bench (attachments galore)

Last week I wasn't keen on their bench due to
the seat attachment not changing angle (stuck at 90 to the bench angle at all times), but the attachment add ons outweigh this only con I can think of now

The clincher for me here was their spotting stands saddle

These spotting stands will be perfect for training chest/shoulders in isolation if I buy the Super bench. I can also up the dumbbell weight comfortably and it will save my back when dismounting. The only negative there is it's heavy at 38kg and probably awkward in shape, but I should be able to drag it and tuck it into a corner when I'm not using it I guess

But improving the versatility of the saddle, if I spend an extra $285 I can convert the saddle into a bench press/military press

The spotting stand dumbbell holders can be taken out and replaced by flexible barbell holders ($110) that work with Olympic barbells in the wide position or the smaller Ironmaster barbell in the narrow position

The barbell ($175) is 5"6 in length and weighs 10kg, so it's a shorter, lighter barbell, but it will most likely fit into my 8 foot wide space as long as I'm careful. The stand/bench can always be carried/wheeled outside if a mate or one of my brothers want to train outside, so as I do similar already on leg/back day it wouldn't bother me much for an extra 5 minutes prep.

It's not meant for squatting, but I do a range of different squats anyway, so that's not a big deal

What is perfect, with these dumbbells/barbells/kettlebells, they all take the same square weight plates that were originally designed for the dumbbells = no extra cash needed to be spent on Olympic plates or whatever until I get a barbell/squat rack upgrade

I'd also be interested in grabbing a preacher attachment, leg curl/extension attachment and a leg holder attachment for decline/abs for the bench too.

It will save me a shitload of money in years to come, just add on stuff as you go, for example they also have a smith machine that can act as a half rack and has hi-lo cable pulleys too. They also have a cable tower too meant as a Lat tower that can take dumbbells as weight. I wouldn't look at these just like I wouldn't look at a squat rack until I have my own place due to space restraints, but it's good to know that they have these upgrade options that are interchangeable, like the bench/attachment set up, or the dumbbell/kettlebell/barbell interchangeability with the weight plates.

So yeah, I think having the interchangeability to be able to barbell bench instead of just dumbbell benching for $285 more gets me over the line here to transition to home workouts

Still need something for vertical back outside of pullovers/lat pushdowns or cardio, but I guess I can grab a casual visit for $10 a pop if I need to change up back day once a month or so and just go hard on that particular exercise group.

Was also looking into a Rogue Echo bike as the cardio option as it hits alot of things I'm looking for in a cardio option
  • Fairly affordable compared to other bikes at $1100. Most comparable bikes are worth $1500-2000
  • Heavy bloody duty weighing nearly 60kgs and perfect for big guys (Brian Shaw rode one and he's well over the 350 pound weight capacity and it held him fine). Also has wheels so should be able to wheel it around
  • High intensity and low intensity cardio option
  • Full body cardio workout, as an air bike it's not your standard exercise bike. But it has elements of a crosstrainer and exercise bike that I like in my cardio
  • Free shipping from Sydney

Once I get my likely temporary commercial bench in the next fortnight I'll have my answer whether it will fit in the room or not. The Echo bike having wheels though will go a long way to helping putting it away somewhere though

Would cost all up around 4.5k if i got the bike in too. But I'm currently selling my cricket gear (already got $100 from an old bat with over $400 of stuff still to sell) and I'll sell on the rubber dumbbells and bench I'm getting in the next few weeks for about 3/4 of what I paid, so I'll recoup $1300-1400 id say in second hand sales.

The other option would be a split gym/home option where I'd do alot of leg and chest/shoulder/arm workouts at home, but I'd be more inclined to train back and cardio at gym.

I'd keep the current bench that I'm getting in, but I'd still buy Ironmaster adjustables and a 120lb extension kit (would need the extension for rows and incline press), an ezy bar and a pair of kettlebells, it would cost me about $2000-2100 after shipping ($1811 for the equipment), but I'd look at getting back $325-350 or so on the rubber dumbbells I'm getting in ($400 retail).

Even though it's not as complete as the more expensive bench/spotter arms/bike option, it'll still give me a proper out if I'm busy or whatever.

Yep agree, and you can train most hours of the day too with no worries of your training routine will be affected by peak hour/gym shittruckery

I trained with mates alot when I was younger, but since I got back into it consistently in 2016 I've regularly done my own thing, so training alone won't bother me much
That's why it's worth it buying proper adjustables imo instead of the old school screw ins that weaken over time. It's more expensive right now on the high end stuff, but it'll pay off in the long run.

There's a few brands out there that you put the dumbbell handle in a holder, quick lock the weight you want and the new weight is snapped/held into the handle, but alot of them are flimsy and have alot of plastic and probably won't handle being dropped all that well.

Can't go past a lifetime Dumbbell/Kettlebell warranty and everything else at 10 years of the steel/cast iron makes that Ironmaster provide though, plus enormous flexibility with attachments/add ons that stem back to their super bench. Their dumbbells are a little slower to change than other high end adjustables, but they come with a storage stand, so at least we can stand while changing them plus their durability seems to be unrivalled.

Anyways, one big long contested post here ;)

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Compare that to when gyms reopen and ego lifters will be wanting to show they didnt lose their gains.

Im betting physio's and chiropractors will be the major "surprise" benefactors when gyms reopen. I already can envisage some guys going too hard too quickly.
Lelelelelelelel you know it

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
go you pups am I right in thinking that the Ironmasters are only available in pounds?

That bugs me a bit. More than it should haha.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
go you pups am I right in thinking that the Ironmasters are only available in pounds?

That bugs me a bit. More than it should haha.
Yeah they're American origin, only one Australian retailer in Sam's Fitness in Sydney :( but they look magnificent tbf going by YouTube reviews of them

I'm used to pounds though, most cable machines I've used are pounds only, like doing lat pulldowns/seated rows/crossovers etc

Basically 100 pounds = around 45kg

50 pounds = around 22.5kg etc

220 pounds is about 100kg

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Screenshot_20200509-192546_Gumtree.jpg

Stock standard cast iron too

Lol

I feel like mashing on this price gauging fwit tbf and hope no flog buys these

Should be $500 tops second hand

I'm getting a pair of Olympic rubber coated 20s with handles for $88 each or $4.40 a kilo

If i bought a pair of 20s at this idiots rate it'd be like $300

View attachment 872828

Stock standard cast iron too

Lol

I feel like mashing on this price gauging fwit tbf and hope no flog buys these

Should be $500 tops

I'm getting a pair of Olympic rubber coated 20s with handles for $88 each or $4.40 a kilo

If i bought a pair of 20s at this idiots rate it'd be like $300

Too late now. Gyms will be open soon, if someone was going to be it, it would have been a few weeks ago.

Seller was way too greedy. Mind you he could have scored a comfortable $400-$500 for them and made a killing. $800 is a stupid price.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Too late now. Gyms will be open soon, if someone was going to be it, it would have been a few weeks ago.

Seller was way too greedy. Mind you he could have scored a comfortable $400-$500 for them and made a killing. $800 is a stupid price.
He just posted the ad

Let's see what happens

Back