Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Screenshot_20200509-195428_Gumtree.jpg

Provided the dumbbells are in reasonable nick, this is very very fair, could've asked for $120 and I'd still think it'd be an ok price.

I'd buy them probably, use for a few months then resell if he were local, alas he's in WA

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Screenshot_20200509-202959_Gumtree.jpg

This shop seems to be pricey on some things, reasonable with others and is about half hour away from me, but this is an absolute joke

Nothing more than a core fitness rip off, yet they'll cost way more at $1300 AUD

Should be around $700 imo

Screenshot_20200509-204242_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Core fitness, American brand, $329 USD there, so just over $500 AUD converted

Both adjustable dumbbells are roughly the same weight too (around the 25kg/50lb mark) and do the same job, the core stand is probably worth around $100, so about a $650 equivalent in total stand and dumbbells

View attachment 872896

This shop seems to be pricey on some things, reasonable with others and is about half hour away from me, but this is an absolute joke

Nothing more than a core fitness rip off, yet they'll cost way more at $1300 AUD

Should be around $700 imo

View attachment 872899

Core fitness, American brand, $329 USD there, so just over $500 AUD converted

Both adjustable dumbbells are roughly the same weight too (around the 25kg/50lb mark) and do the same job, the core stand is probably worth around $100, so about a $650 equivalent in total stand and dumbbells

If I had to properly set up my own gym, I would definitely outlay for those adjustable dumbbells. Its been both tiresome and tedious to constantly change and ensure collars are secure.

The Core ones or the MX ones?

I dont know which adjustable I would get, as I normally like to do plenty of research, reviews, youtube, looking at ads etc etc.

However, I wouldnt buy anything now. I would wait till gyms reopen in a months time for a price drop.

I did post on here however, a home barbell and dumbbell set for sale by Rebel immediately after gyms were closed. No one bothered to comment or quote my post and I guess it got lost it was available on line for at least 5 days after the govt announced gyms would be closed. Absolute bargain. In hindsight, I probably should have bought 2 sets. Selling the 2nd one for double the price. At the time it was only about $120 on sale too, down from $200. Transporting it though was another issue very in cumbersome with the weight sets and barbell.

Man there's some pathetic price gauging going on in the Victorian dumbbell market on Gumtree

$7 a kilo on average from what I've seen

Commercial suppliers average between $3-5 a kilo

I saw 20kgs plates on Rebel selling for around $150 after the govt announced closures. I was spewing I didnt get it earlier.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I dont know which adjustable I would get, as I normally like to do plenty of research, reviews, youtube, looking at ads etc etc.

However, I wouldnt buy anything now. I would wait till gyms reopen in a months time for a price drop.

I did post on here however, a home barbell and dumbbell set for sale by Rebel immediately after gyms were closed. No one bothered to comment or quote my post and I guess it got lost it was available on line for at least 5 days after the govt announced gyms would be closed. Absolute bargain. In hindsight, I probably should have bought 2 sets. Selling the 2nd one for double the price. At the time it was only about $120 on sale too, down from $200. Transporting it though was another issue very in cumbersome with the weight sets and barbell.
I hope this second hand gauging goes all winter tbf, allowing me time to save and get in that Ironmaster package

Then I'll put up the 25s and 30s for around their retail price ($400 total) and it'll sell immediately as some muppet will try and flog similar off for like $750

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
This is how i came to the Ironmaster decision

They're all pricey so be prepared to pay up

Then look at how they'll be used
  • What type of strength training you'll use them for (drop sets, volume, heavy lifting etc)
  • How often you'll use them
Next is warranties and product durability, massive win for Ironmaster there

Probably drop sets is the only thing Ironmaster doesn't have the edge on others, so buying an extra pair of dumbbells or kettlebells will help in this regard, but apart from that, that's how I got to my decision

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
I bought that same cheap set a couple of years ago just to do some basic exercises, still use it.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Yep, adjustable dumbbells are the biggest downside of a home gym. I'll eventually get a proper set or those ironmasters one day.

I have this cable attachment for my cage coming in a few weeks and I should be able to use that for some dumbbell movements too.

10767.jpg

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Yep, adjustable dumbbells are the biggest downside of a home gym. I'll eventually get a proper set or those ironmasters one day.

I have this cable attachment for my cage coming in a few weeks and I should be able to use that for some dumbbell movements too.

10767.jpg
Nice

You have an oldish rack yeah?

How does the dimensions fit up?

If I ever get a rack, something with a pulley is a no brainer

Also a massive fan of trolley lever arms, basically turns your rack into a complete hammerstrength machine too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Agreed

Do crossfitters even bench?

Seen a few crossfit garage gyms on YouTube, the lack of benches in them are concerning imo

Ours definitely does.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
What have you or other cross fitters been doing during this time of gym closure?

Check CrossFit thread. I've been posting my home workouts in that. But pretty much what Jaxes said.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Question regarding the main lifts for those of you familiar with Wendler531. Will end up only doing 2 sessions this week. Found this OG template I like on Black Iron Beast which has you doing A: Squat 531 AMRAP, Bench AMRAP 531, and B: Deadlift 531 AMRAP, Press 531 AMRAP. Down sets are customisable. Not sure whether to skip them because two main lifts are more taxing, or to go all out and do FSL on both of them, or do 5PROs and BBB on both of the lifts, or do BBB on only one main lift, or do BBB on only one main lift without the 531.

If I was going to do hypertrophy style training only and skip strength for a week, it'd be on upper-body lifts. Anyway, I suppose the only correct answer is, "Do what you feel like, it's up to you." but I'm interested in hearing what others would do. Another possibility is down sets on both main lifts and cut out the assistance work this week. So many choices, lifting is the hardest thing in life to make decisions over haha.

Update: I'm probably going to go with main sets only, no down sets. Won't kill me to miss FSL or BBB for a change. But I'll go for PRs on my final set.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Picked up a new pair of 15s off Gumtree for a reasonable price on Friday, was able to have a reasonable upper body workout on Saturday with them using a kitchen chair, my aerobic step and the outside bench for various exercises, though I did have to go high sets/reps to feel it.

Picking up a compact 3 tier dumbbell rack tomorrow that will only take up a small corner of my room, getting my bench and 20kg plates on Saturday then will have my heavier dumbbells finally delivered mid week or so next week.

All coming together finally (7-8-9 weeks of waiting, looking around etc)

Find a few more dumbbells from various places in June like I did with the 15s, then I'll load up again in August/September. I think I'll give the Ironmasters a miss until I upgrade in a few years to a proper power rack set up once I get my own place :( they look far too hard to acquire this year.

August/September I'll look at an ezy bar, more plates and a plate tree for starters (will only cost around $450-500 new), then if available/I can afford it I'll grab a budget barbell and a Rogue post landmine/tbar attachment from their Sydney store. Costs about $260 together for the post landmine/tbar from them, a bit pricey but it will be a decent variant to dumbbell training plus is space efficient/flexible so could train out in my backyard with it for example if the weather's nice. Just need 2 Olympic plates as the base and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bench is all set up, picked up this morning, went to Bunnings to grab some hex keys and some adhesive to tighten the hex screws in and stick the rubber feet protectors into place (kept falling off)

Has some weird angles like there's 2 different flat settings, one seems marginal incline, the other a marginal decline can't really comment until I get my 25s/30s in a few days, definitely won't bother with the 90 angle (reckon it's like 92.5), but some extremely decent incline settings where I feel the angle of the seat really helps in getting my body into a comfortable in control position, something that incline bench press combo racks really lack at commercial gyms imo as I seem to find it hard to get underneath the bar, it's very forward if you know what I mean (this should be a decent bench for benching in power racks with), while the two 75-85 angles seem they'll be solid enough to shoulder press with.

But yeah really happy on the 3 standard incline angles, did a few tester incline presses at various heights, incline curls and incline supported rear flys and they were all sweet to do.

Seems pretty sturdy, only slight wobble from the pin lock lever system but that's to be expected. About a 2 inch seat gap, it's perfect for incline as the gap decreases as the incline/seat work together but hard to tell if it'll annoy me or not for flat presses/skull bashes etc once I get my 25s and 30s in. The seat is like a firm wide bike seat, so enough glute stability it seems.

Overall, it seems like a decent enough B+ type of bench going by what I did testing it out with lighter dumbbells, just a few cosmetic/slight structural changes would make it absolute premium A grade. Has 5 seat settings and 8 bench settings (a slight flat decline all the way to 90+)

20200523_175606.jpg
20200523_175540.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back