Competitions 2017 v 2019 Who Wins

Who Win A "Match" Between 2017 v 2019?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty simple question. If the 2017 premiership side were to face off against the 2019 premiership side which team would win?

2017 Team v 2019 Team

B: Ellis Rance Grimes
F: Castagna Lynch Riewoldt

HB: Houli Astbury Vlastuin
HF: Rioli Cotchin Lambert

C: McIntosh Cotchin Townsend
C: Ellis Prestia Caddy

HF: Lambert Martin Caddy
HB: Houli Vlastuin Short

F: Butler Riewoldt Rioli
B: Astbury Broad Grimes

R: Nankervis Prestia Grigg
R: Nankervis Edwards Martin

INT: Edwards Graham Broad Castagna
INT: Bolton Soldo Baker Pickett

Teams are named as they were selected on the Thursday before the game which creates some interesting initial match ups.

It's a draw.

Well said Splinters!

I am inclined to choose 2019. It proved it could comfortably beat all comers on skill and technique alone (and that was happening in 2018 as well), whereas 2017 needed a fair bit of emotion and underdog thinking to get to the end. 2017 was a bit like that one good wave that makes a good surf swimmer a great surf swim winner.

Last edited:

2019 I reckon - although it would be close and frantic!
Just feels that last year was a more well rounded squad - Tim Lunch up forward providing a greater threat although Rance would have picked him up.

We need some expert IT/gaming dude to write a virtual program -2017 Tigers in the yellow strip versus 2019 in the traditional strip.
Dusty trying to 'don't argue' Dusty!

2019 I reckon - although it would be close and frantic!
Just feels that last year was a more well rounded squad - Tim Lunch up forward providing a greater threat although Rance would have picked him up.

We need some expert IT/gaming dude to write a virtual program -2017 Tigers in the yellow strip versus 2019 in the traditional strip.
Dusty trying to 'don't argue' Dusty!

Dusty was a more professional unit in 2019, I think we have finally seen Dusty be the best Dusty will be - he sure was a slow maturer, most burn out much earlier or peak earlier, he just kept getting better - geez it's been a great ride!

Dusty was a more professional unit in 2019, I think we have finally seen Dusty be the best Dusty will be - he sure was a slow maturer, most burn out much earlier or peak earlier, he just kept getting better - geez it's been a great ride!
Yup - looks like he elevates his game exactly when we need it, (Mr September)
A real pro now as you say, less likely to get sucked into aggression like he used to.

I like how he is real Zen and relaxed about his footy - plays with confidence and just the right amount of arrogance as all champions do.

Hell - let's get this AFL show back on the park so we can once again be in awe....

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Hmm most likely 2019 on paper, but geez we were playing some good footy in those 2017 finals, we were on fire.

I honestly would have kept Townsend, could have still played a solid role for us alongside Jack and Lynch, still allowing for 3 small forwards. Also Jack won't be around too much longer and Towner could have been handy backup. Looked good for Essendon in preseason and round 1.

To combine the sides, I'd probably go:

Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin
Houli, Rance, Broad
Pickett, Cotchin, Lambert
Castagna, Riewoldt, Bolton
Townsend, Lynch, Rioli
Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
Soldo, Edwards, Graham, Caddy

Grigg pains me to leave out, but went for the dash and talent of Pickett.

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond
On a wet day - 2017
On dry day - 2019

2019 was a lot taller and relied more on 'traditional' football (2 x key forwards, 2 x ruckmen etc) where the 2017 side was obviously smaller. If 2019 was raining I don't see both ruckmen playing (Ross or McIntosh would have got their GF medal). 2017 we didn't have that option so the team would have been the same rain, hail or shine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm most likely 2019 on paper, but geez we were playing some good footy in those 2017 finals, we were on fire.

I honestly would have kept Townsend, could have still played a solid role for us alongside Jack and Lynch, still allowing for 3 small forwards. Also Jack won't be around too much longer and Towner could have been handy backup. Looked good for Essendon in preseason and round 1.

To combine the sides, I'd probably go:

Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin
Houli, Rance, Broad
Pickett, Cotchin, Lambert
Castagna, Riewoldt, Bolton
Townsend, Lynch, Rioli
Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
Soldo, Edwards, Graham, Caddy

Grigg pains me to leave out, but went for the dash and talent of Pickett.
Personally I would put Edwards or Caddy on the field instead of Pickett, don't forget he's played only one outstanding game compared to Edwards and Caddy's amount not to mention the experience of games. The names on the board are good though. Definitely the best team out of the two

It’s tough. I feel 2019 has too much firepower but 2017 has Rance to take Jack and Astbury on Lynch with Grimes spare. Maybe 2017 wins based on their defence being better equipped to handle the forward line

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
2019. We were much better and more balanced + mature as a side in 2019 in my opinion. The injuries really hampered our first half, but we may have had a similar H&A season to 2018 if we had the likes of Cotchin and Riewoldt for longer. IMO, our defence was also better in 2019 (in the end) despite us missing Rance for a couple of reasons:

- Grimes, Astbury and Houli reached another level in 2019.
- We conceded above 70 only once since the bye (82 points against West Coast) and restricted GWS to 25 points in the GF.
- We conceded less than 2017 despite us having a disastrous start to the season injury-wise.

Only thing I didn't like about 2019 is that we lost 6 times with our closest loss being 33 points. It is a bit excessive for a Premier but at least it was due to an unprecedented level of injuries for us with the current squad.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
2019 I think we developed this ability to turn games around when we weren’t playing well. In 2017 we were hot from pretty much the start in all finals, a nervy 5min in the GF aside.
In a contrast to that, in 2019 we were a bit off in the QF and even more so in the PF but we were able to change the course of those games very quickly. I don’t think we could do that in 2017. Most of our games we lost in 2017 and 2018 you knew something wasn’t right from the start. Same in early 2019, but in these cases that something was half our best 22.
So I’d say 2019 would win most times, just because I don’t think they’d have to be on like 2017 needed.

I think the 2019 team had a better level of overall skills, and that seemed to be born out when I recently rewatched both final series. 2017 was more chaotic, 2019 was more class.
Martin and Rance circa 2017 were both in career best form and you’d love to have that every year, but for overall team balance and skills I’d say 2019.

2019 for overall quality and maturity. But that 2017 team was on fire.

I reckon teh 2019 mob would outperform 2017 overall. Especially big Tom Lunch would make a huge difference.

Towner would be torn apart by Grimes.

Back