Alan Jones Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Bit of a surprise since his current $4M/year contract still had another year to run. Can't say he'll be missed.

Ben Fordham will take over his slot, but I wonder who'll take over his audience? His ratings have surged massively during the pandemic.

Last edited:

If he goes straight to an internet show he's hardly retired.

With advertising drying up right now, I reckon saving on a final year’s pay would have been an attractive reason to ask him to leave a year early.

Could they push him without breaching his deal though?

Nine definitely wanted him out. His contract was a huge burden, and pre-crisis revenue was already through the floor after advertisers pulled their money over the Jacinta Ardern fiasco. Signing his renewal last year was a big mistake.

However you’d have to expect that their ratings will only go down with him gone, so I can’t see the financial benefit in sacking him if they had to pay out his contract on top of a new hire for Ben Fordham’s slot.

Maybe the contract had a cancellation clause around minimum annual ratings or revenue. If he looked like not hitting his metrics at the end of the financial year, he may be jumping before he’s pushed.

Last edited:
With advertising drying up right now, I reckon saving on a final year’s pay would have been an attractive reason to ask him to leave a year early.
Is this another conspiracy theory like the Russian collusion that is being banged on about in the Trump thread? Advertising dollars would definitely be up considering his ratings are flying yet again in the face of leftie hysteria reaching peaks unheard of throughout history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good riddance. No doubt he will start a YouTube channel to vent his bile.
You need to be more like your fearless leader, Anthony Albanese. He had the dignity and class to praise and thank Alan Jones for his untold charity work and his contributions to Australia. You should always respect your greatest adversaries. It shows humility and a willingness to learn from your weaknesses and mistakes.

Is this another conspiracy theory like the Russian collusion that is being banged on about in the Trump thread? Advertising dollars would definitely be up considering his ratings are flying yet again in the face of leftie hysteria reaching peaks unheard of throughout history.

He got paid $4,000,000 a year?
Pretty crazy, huh? At his peak he used to pull upwards of $12M a year in advertising revenue.

He will still be on Sky won't he? I can't imagine he would be done given how easy it is to read the script and be offended/offensive when the sentence is underlined.
He will still be on Sky and continue to write his column for The Australian.

It was Mike Carlton saying Jones was sacked.
Mike Carlton 😂
He’s an oxygen thief who showed his real class when he totally disrespected a family’s and friends in mourning when they lost their loved one. Who does what he did on the day of their funeral?
His offended stems from the fact that he’s a failure and no one will employ him.

Pretty crazy, huh? At his peak he used to pull upwards of $12M a year in advertising revenue.

He will still be on Sky and continue to write his column for The Australian.
Big step down from his radio audience.

Especially when it's seemingly so easy to keep to talking points that either validate your base in a big cuddle or intentionally stir them up. I'd love a million a year to be angry for people over something I made them angry about.

All offers considered.

Yes - he is done as a political entity.
Although for my money, the aim of much of the crazy end of Sky News is to generate grabs for social media and other newsrooms to show, not live viewers. They do that well.

There’s a lot of sour grapes and offended in this short post.
Keeping Labor honest will definitely be a lot harder now as no one else besides the authoritarian Ray Hadley is prepared to do it.
I've a question for you. Labor has been in power for 6 years since 1996; why do they need to be kept honest? They've not had control of government.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back