NEAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have to assume that the NEAFL won’t go ahead this year with the strict border regulations in Queensland. Might be two state based comps if anything this year, and beyond that who knows? The AFL will be looking to save money and the clubs might have taken a bit of a financial hit on the season so we may have seen the last of the competition in its current guise. Thoughts?

I would think for 2020, the clubs are going to have to play in their own states , even if it is to save on costs of travel for this particular season.
Footy from possibly mid June to end of September gives these comps about 15 weeks maximum of a season. I think the best hope is for most comps to pull off 10 or 11 rounds and then the top 8 of every comp have a final 8 series in September.
About time. One of the only good things to come out of the present crisis is that it may finally spell the end of this unwieldy competition. The return to QAFL and Sydney AFL will be good for regular state level clubs due to less travel being needed, lowering their operating costs. It won't be a good thing for the AFL clubs since their reserves will be playing against even lesser competition than before, but hopefully an AFL reserves league kicks off at some point.
Who knows. Maybe in 2021 a EAFL comp happens which could be all the eastern board part of Australia for AFL clubs have their own reserves comp.
10 Vic based clubs, Gold Coast, GWS, Swans, Lions and a Tasmania side.
Align the fixture with AFL clubs and if your AFL club playing Freo, Eagles or Crows the club drawn to play Crows has a bye and the ones playing Freo and Eagles play each other that weekend. If in later years the West Coast, Freo and Port want to join, all for it but I understand the travel to Perth and back is a big cost so can understand them staying out, if it too much.

I was hearing there could be as Eastern Reserves league with VIC, NSW, QLD reserves.

VFL Stand alone teams would either filter to their local leagues, go under, or form their own league.
EAFL of 15 clubs could probably work if AFL clubs from WA and SA do not want their reserves in a nation wide AFL reserves comp.

But it all depends on whether the AFL clubs are going to cut to lists of 35 or stick to essentially what we have now and just reduce the salary cap only.
Hopefully they do the later.

I was hearing there could be as Eastern Reserves league with VIC, NSW, QLD reserves.

VFL Stand alone teams would either filter to their local leagues, go under, or form their own league.

This would be pretty bad for anyone 19 and over with aspirations of elite footy or getting drafted from Canberra, Sydney or South East Queensland I expect. Need to either move or outcompete younger academy kids for spots in the AFL reserves sides.

Notwithstanding the high degree of uncertainty on whether or not the NEAFL continues at all next year, rumblings out of the Nation's Capital were that the Demons were considering not seeking an extension of their license in 2021 anyway given the direction of the competition.

I would think for 2020, the clubs are going to have to play in their own states , even if it is to save on costs of travel for this particular season.
Footy from possibly mid June to end of September gives these comps about 15 weeks maximum of a season. I think the best hope is for most comps to pull off 10 or 11 rounds and then the top 8 of every comp have a final 8 series in September.

Who knows. Maybe in 2021 a EAFL comp happens which could be all the eastern board part of Australia for AFL clubs have their own reserves comp.
10 Vic based clubs, Gold Coast, GWS, Swans, Lions and a Tasmania side.
Align the fixture with AFL clubs and if your AFL club playing Freo, Eagles or Crows the club drawn to play Crows has a bye and the ones playing Freo and Eagles play each other that weekend. If in later years the West Coast, Freo and Port want to join, all for it but I understand the travel to Perth and back is a big cost so can understand them staying out, if it too much.

EAFL of 15 clubs could probably work if AFL clubs from WA and SA do not want their reserves in a nation wide AFL reserves comp.

But it all depends on whether the AFL clubs are going to cut to lists of 35 or stick to essentially what we have now and just reduce the salary cap only.
Hopefully they do the later.
AFL listed players won’t be mixing/training/playing with non listed players during COVID19 due to the protocols enquires to restart the AFL season. There probably won’t be a NEAFL in 2020/21. Good chance the NEAFL is done. I doubt that there will be any senior community footy in 2020. Without crowds the clubs simply can’t afford the match fees, insurances, umpires, etc.

AFL players not getting a game will have to make do with extra training and perhaps 12-15 a side matches against other clubs in their state.

neafl website is down, afl nsw act and sydney afl sites still up and running - it could be a technical issue or they've pulled the pin on neafl and it's done

neafl website is down, afl nsw act and sydney afl sites still up and running - it could be a technical issue or they've pulled the pin on neafl and it's done
I love a conspiracy theory like the next isolated nutter, but this we now know this was wrong.
I don't think there's anyone working for NEAFL GHQ at the moment, so if the website crashes then there's no-one there with a spanner and monkey wrench to repair the damage.
The sooner the footy starts up, the better !!!

I read in another thread that apparently the AFL is considering merging the VFL and NEAFL as they still want the teams like Southport, Sydney Uni, and the VFL stand alone clubs to fae quality opposition.

They plan on having two conferences. The AFL reserve sides and the other teams

I read in another thread that apparently the AFL is considering merging the VFL and NEAFL as they still want the teams like Southport, Sydney Uni, and the VFL stand alone clubs to fae quality opposition.

Wow, when you want to hear the latest rumour....ask a Queenslander !
I just hope your thread has got it right...would be nice wouldn't it. If the whole programme is rebuilt from here then you'd expect it would be planned to last a while - there are some on here who are always ready to predict the end of NEAFL.

Nice idea in theory but who is paying for all of that? There’s little chance of anyone other than Southport being interested in that. To be honest they’d be best to just let the NEAFL slip away quietly. It was fun while it lasted but to be honest if the local clubs are producing players and the AFL clubs aren’t drafting them - Jake Bartholomaeus winning MVP at 21 and being completely ignored by the Swans as a mature aged rookie is a perfect example - then what’s the point? Uni would’ve tipped in over a million bucks of their own resources over the past eight seasons (and that’s far less than others who are funded by pokies) for no return on investment.

Nice idea in theory but who is paying for all of that? There’s little chance of anyone other than Southport being interested in that. To be honest they’d be best to just let the NEAFL slip away quietly. It was fun while it lasted but to be honest if the local clubs are producing players and the AFL clubs aren’t drafting them - Jake Bartholomaeus winning MVP at 21 and being completely ignored by the Swans as a mature aged rookie is a perfect example - then what’s the point? Uni would’ve tipped in over a million bucks of their own resources over the past eight seasons (and that’s far less than others who are funded by pokies) for no return on investment.
Below is a direct cut and paste from https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/vfl-to-become-eastern-afl-in-2021.1239598/#post-65117963
So I’ve heard that the AFL are keen to keep the likes of Southport Canberra Syd Uni etc playing in a strong league so aspiring players that miss getting drafted (especially if AFL list sizes are reduced) have a strong comp to play in.

QAFL and Syd prem do not provide.
Therefore I see basically a merger of the VFL and NEAFL which is then split into conferences.

Basically an AFL reserves conference and an “other” conference. The other conference would have standalone VFL teams , Tassie and a few NEAFL clubs, probably 4 of the 5 current.
There would be a number of “cross conference” games where for example port Melbourne would play Richmond reserves.
They would sort out the draw to minimise travel as much as possible to save cost. They could do it so each VFL stand-alone team maybe has 3 travels per season. Ie they play each NEAFL side once only (4games - 2 travels) each other twice (10 games inc. Tassie- 1 travel) and then 4 crossover games against AFL reserves teams for an 18 round season.

I love the idea of watching the NEAFL sides playing old VFA / VFL sides like Port Melbourne and Werribee but the gap in standard would be massive, and the AFL will be looking to cut costs moving forward. I thought that perhaps Tassie could’ve replaced NT to give AFL Tasmania a way to start making headway on corporate support, infrastructure etc for a potential AFL side in 5-10 years but that was probably never even considered.

If it does go ahead I just can’t see Eastlake, Aspley, Uni etc forking out more money to do the AFL’s work for them. If it comes to fruition then the state based sides in the north might have to be run by the AFL in their entirety. Maybe Southport are the only ones with cash to burn and that much ambition.

Below is a direct cut and paste from https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/vfl-to-become-eastern-afl-in-2021.1239598/#post-65117963
So I’ve heard that the AFL are keen to keep the likes of Southport Canberra Syd Uni etc playing in a strong league so aspiring players that miss getting drafted (especially if AFL list sizes are reduced) have a strong comp to play in.

Therefore I see basically a merger of the VFL and NEAFL which is then split into conferences.

Basically an AFL reserves conference and an “other” conference. The other conference would have standalone VFL teams , Tassie and a few NEAFL clubs, probably 4 of the 5 current.
There would be a number of “cross conference” games where for example port Melbourne would play Richmond reserves.
They would sort out the draw to minimise travel as much as possible to save cost. They could do it so each VFL stand-alone team maybe has 3 travels per season. Ie they play each NEAFL side once only (4games - 2 travels) each other twice (10 games inc. Tassie- 1 travel) and then 4 crossover games against AFL reserves teams for an 18 round season.

Gotta love BigFooty.com. Who knows what happens going forward.
All I know is

1 there’s a massive push for AFL reserves in the Eastern States.

2 AFL have invested plenty to QLD and NSw and a genuine 2nd tier pathway is required and let’s be honest QAFL and Syd Prem ain’t it.

3. There’s a push for Tas

4. It actually doesn’t cost much more if AFL are currently paying for Aspley to fly to Sydney to play Giants and Swans fly up here to play Sharks .

Swans instead fly to Mel to play Richmond and Frankston come play Sharks. Cost neutral.

5. The AFL aligned NEAFL and VFL competition rules prior to this season ( AFLreserves listing rules & salary cap)

Add it up. Throw in that Southport Aspley Canberra are wealthy clubs that are accustomed to travel.

but all bets off with the virus it’s just BigFooty.com. You are allowed to speculate

I agree with all of your points bar #4 - the AFL is looking to cut costs, paying for club sides based thousands of kms apart to run around against each other won’t be happening. The VFL and NEAFL list stuff was done last year, in my opinion, with a view to an eastern states reserves comp. It’s just been fast tracked by a few years. I suspect the NEAFL is done. And even if it is on again next year I would be shocked if a couple of the current participants are involved.

Gotta love BigFooty.com. Who knows what happens going forward.
All I know is

1 there’s a massive push for AFL reserves in the Eastern States.

2 AFL have invested plenty to QLD and NSw and a genuine 2nd tier pathway is required and let’s be honest QAFL and Syd Prem ain’t it.

3. There’s a push for Tas

4. It actually doesn’t cost much more if AFL are currently paying for Aspley to fly to Sydney to play Giants and Swans fly up here to play Sharks .

Swans instead fly to Mel to play Richmond and Frankston come play Sharks. Cost neutral.

5. The AFL aligned NEAFL and VFL competition rules prior to this season ( AFLreserves listing rules & salary cap)

Add it up. Throw in that Southport Aspley Canberra are wealthy clubs that are accustomed to travel.

but all bets off with the virus it’s just BigFooty.com. You are allowed to speculate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The NEAFL is done for 2020 - pretty sure Uni won’t be playing Canberra 10 times. And with cost savings to come in 2021 the AFL will do away with it. As someone who has been involved with Sydney Uni since day one, it was fun while it lasted.

No AFL in SANFL in 2020, or in WAFL or VFL or NEAFL.

This means the NEAFL will have 4 less teams in 2020

No AFL in SANFL in 2020, or in WAFL or VFL or NEAFL.

This means the NEAFL will have 4 less teams in 2020

Does anyone have a "real" update on teh NEAFL for this season? Keep hearing it is gone, but nothing official - surely it is one of the first comps that will go?

Agree the lack of an official statement is strange but it seems rather unlikely a season will proceed.

The rules around training groups make it difficult for starters and borders are still closed with no end in sight. Not to mention the cost and the difficulty of the AFLsides dropping out.

I know in QLD some NEAFL players have been chatting to QAFL clubs around possibly playing in that comp.

I’d expect an announcement soon.

They were looking at getting something state based happening with the community clubs and Academy teams from the respective AFL clubs - it was knocked on the head pretty quickly because playing against 17 year olds is probably not worth the effort. No official announcement yet as the AFL are still pondering options but there’s no chance of anything going ahead.

Does anyone have a "real" update on teh NEAFL for this season? Keep hearing it is gone, but nothing official - surely it is one of the first comps that will go?

To those that thought I was completely full of s... on my VFL/NEAFL merge... But there’s alignments in this model

Last edited:
The best competitions around Austalia are built on local rivalries, games where winning and losing matters each week and supporters feel connected to the club.
The whole problem with the NEAFL is that it is a competition built on none of these principles - its a competition for a listed young player to develop or a developed player to play 2 quarters then come off. The sooner it is killed off and replaced with another option the better for Aspley, Eastlakes, Redland, Southport and Sydney Uni.

Surely these players want to play in a game where there is interest and a crowd the "booes" when you get a kick, not 2 people who count your stats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back