News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

A number of sports commentators and a lot people always say that north is the team that the AFL want in Tasmania.Several years ago north suggested playing 7 games here and the AFL tried to kick out Hawthorn so it could happen.
You know what also “could” happen? You licking your Sister’s Covid19 infested Anus and dying. :stern look

You know what also “could” happen? You licking your Sister’s Covid19 infested Anus and dying. :stern look

Oh come on Zondor , I lead him down the merry path so be kind. I asked a bloody silly question. The AFL has been trying to move us since 1926, one year after we joined the then VFLvof that I'm sure.

And just like your pissed uncle at a wake...... we aint going anywhere.

A number of sports commentators and a lot people always say that north is the team that the AFL want in Tasmania.Several years ago north suggested playing 7 games here and the AFL tried to kick out Hawthorn so it could happen.

A number of sports commentators basically starts and ends with Caroline Wilson. I suspect that the AFL doesn’t particularly want a team in Tassie. If it did, there’d be one. There is no value in it.

Not unless AFL bites the bullet and moves the Suns south. I don't see the Suns surviving long term anyway, so it may be the best option either way.

It's the only chance they have of getting a team in the next decade.

Nobody's going to the footy this year, so doesn't really matter.

Yeah this. We're effectively getting money and a big * off "home" ground advantage for nothing

The Tassie government signed the deal, they would need to honor it unless there's some weird clauses in there providing protection against natural disasters

Our members don't miss out because they're already missing out on seeing the team play live for the whole year. We get money from a state we'd committed to play in anyway, and nobody misses out

Yeah this. We're effectively getting money and a big fu** off "home" ground advantage for nothing

The Tassie government signed the deal, they would need to honor it unless there's some weird clauses in there providing protection against natural disasters

Our members don't miss out because they're already missing out on seeing the team play live for the whole year. We get money from a state we'd committed to play in anyway, and nobody misses out

We won't get the full whack for the deal, but we're not going to wear zero either (which seemed a very real possibility only weeks ago).

I can’t see the AFL pulling the pin on GC anytime soon. They want a game in QLD every week. Besides, they don’t need a team in Tassie. As a market I imagine it’s worth fu** all to them.
That was the "old" AFL prior to Covid. Now the realization that all the money it wasted on so called new markets have done nothing but put the game's very existence in danger, and the fact that nobody in Qld itself cares about the game full stop, let alone a game each week, AFL could rethink the whole strategy and realize it should play the game where it is actually wanted.

A contract like this would likely have a Force Majeure clause which would usually be triggered by a f*** off big event like the WHO's declaration of a global pandemic. The legal effect of such a clause is pretty much 'all bets are off'.
We won't get the full whack for the deal, but we're not going to wear zero either (which seemed a very real possibility only weeks ago).
This. Cents on the dollar would be a good outcome in the circumstances.

I suspect the contract is a bit ambiguous in relation to Force Majeure and we're having a crack by essentially saying we're ready and willing to honour our end of the bargain.

So if there's no crowds and it's an exercise in monetary gymnastics, if we play games there I'll take GWS, both Perth sides and Brisbane.

Preferably through the late July and early August when it's very cold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We do more than just play games there for our money, by the way.

http://www.premier.tas.gov.au/releases/exciting_new_agreement_for_afl_football_in_tasmania

3 June 2016

Will Hodgman, Premier

Exciting new agreement for AFL football in Tasmania

AFL football has gone to the next level, with the Tasmanian Government, TT Line, AFL, and the North Melbourne Football Club reaching an exciting agreement which will see more games and better talent pathways for Tasmanians.

Under the agreement, North Melbourne Football Club will play three roster games in Hobart per year between 2017 and 2021.

TT Line will be the naming rights sponsor and will be the sole contracting party with the NMFC.

This new agreement, combined with the recently renewed Hawthorn deal, means Tasmania will host a total of eight AFL games per year, locked in until 2021.

In addition, following the Garlick Review, which was commissioned following an agreement between the Tasmanian Government and the AFL last year, a number of additional actions have been agreed between the Tasmanian Government, the AFL, and the North Melbourne Football Club:

• “The Huddle”
NMFC will establish ‘The Huddle’ in Hobart to conduct various programs supporting young people to strengthen their education and employment outcomes and address causes of disengagement to enhance social inclusion. These activities and initiatives will benefit not just Hobart, but are extended to regional Tasmania, including Devonport and surrounds.

• Talent Pathways/Academy
The AFL, AFL Tasmania and North Melbourne Football Club will establish a Tasmanian AFL academy for male and female players for ages 11 and up.

The program will be implemented across the whole state and include NMFC, AFL Tasmania, and AFL resources.

The AFL has agreed that the elite programs set for Tasmania will encompass the Next Generation Academies, Female Academies, and a broader AFL Academy.

Next Generation Academies were recently launched by the AFL and involve clubs running football academy programs for girls and boys aged 11 to 15, with an emphasis on multicultural and indigenous youth.

• Women’s Football
In addition to providing pathways for women through the new Academy, the AFL has agreed to a specific focus on the presence of and opportunities for female football in Tasmania, including expanding pathways to the national league for Tasmanian women.

The AFL has also agreed to:

• An increase in funding to AFL Tasmania;
  • New leadership and stronger structure for the AFL Tasmania organisation;
  • The staffing and resources to allow for better stakeholder engagement and connections with the community and State Leagues; and
  • A Review and possible expansion of the community camp for Tasmania and coaches’ development forum.
The Government has also provided $500,000 per year in last week’s budget to go toward supporting and developing grassroots community football.

AFL football provides a very important contribution to Tasmania’s economic, sporting and social fabric, particularly during winter.

The independent Socio-Economic Value of AFL Games in Hobart 2015 Report shows the socio-economic value of AFL games and related activities in greater Hobart in 2015 was conservatively estimated to be $43.7 million The report also found that more than 220 jobs were created as a result of a past deal with NMFC.

PriceWaterhouseCoopers’ report into Hawthorn Football Club’s contribution to the Tasmanian economy has found Hawthorn’s presence during the 2014 AFL season generated a total direct expenditure of $17.5 million for the State, with the partnership valued at up to $30 million in benefits to Tasmania.

TT-Line’s sponsorship deal with North Melbourne is commercial in confidence, however a Community Service Obligation of $894,000 per year is included.

A contract like this would likely have a Force Majeure clause which would usually be triggered by a f*** off big event like the WHO's declaration of a global pandemic. The legal effect of such a clause is pretty much 'all bets are off'.
Funnily enough, TT-Line's contract with its passengers (conditions of carriage) say that a force majeure event does not cause a breach of contract. I wonder if our contract with them says similar things.

We are not in breach of the Contract and do not incur any liability for any Loss suffered or incurred by any Passenger if the breach (including a breach which relates to non-performance, part performance, deviation, or delay in the performance of the Services) is caused by a force majeure event.

The following (non-exhaustive) list of events are force majeure events:
(a) Acts of God, natural and other disasters, explosion, flood, fire, l ightning, severe weather or sea conditions, storms, winds, ice, surf, peril s of the seas, rivers and navigation, general average incident or accident, response to a distress signal , man overboard or any other rescue response or activity;
(b) War, hostilities (whether declared or not), invasion, acts of foreign enemies, terrorism;
(c) Rebellion, revolution, insurrection, terrorist activity, military or usurped power or civil war;
(d) Riot, civil commotion or disorder;
(e) Acts, restrictions, regulations, by-laws, refusals to grant any licences or permissions, prohibitions, or measures of any kind on the part of any governmental authority;
(f) Strikes, lockouts or other industrial actions or trade disputes of whatever nature;
(g) Seizure, arrest or forfeiture under legal process;
(h) Port congestion or closure, docking delays, breakdown of machinery or any Vessel , unavail abil ity or breakdown of loading/unl oading facil ities;
(i) Search, detention or removal of any stowaway and/or illegal immigrant and/or other unauthorised person; or
(j) Any other event of whatsoever nature not within our reasonable control .

A number of sports commentators basically starts and ends with Caroline Wilson. I suspect that the AFL doesn’t particularly want a team in Tassie. If it did, there’d be one. There is no value in it.
Add Kane Cornes ,Brian Taylor,Dwayne Russell,Craig Hutchison,Eddie McGuire,Terry Wallace and the 2 Bulldog Brothers - Nathan Brown and Luke Darcy these people are all known North Melbourne haters to the list.

The Tasmanian premier believes due to our border restrictions we will be unable to have North and Hawks come to Tasmania this season.He plans on talking to public health shortly about it,but it looks unlikely Tassie will be having any AFL content this season.

The Tasmanian premier believes due to our border restrictions we will be unable to have North and Hawks come to Tasmania this season.He plans on talking to public health shortly about it,but it looks unlikely Tassie will be having any AFL content this season.
Shattering...

That reads as though old mate is going to put the squeeze on his health department public servants to sleaze his way out of having to pay.

I must admit I'm not too concerned considering we won't be able to attend the games.

Governments piss away way too much on professional sports.

For example, Victorian taxpayers have been footing the bill so Geelong can play at their home ground and still ask for home games against big drawing sides.

Anyway I digress. If my tax dollars were going anywhere, I'd rather it go to NMFC as opposed to the hundreds of corrupt pollies using their credit cards for an island getaway with their mistresses.

Governments piss away way too much on professional sports.

For example, Victorian taxpayers have been footing the bill so Geelong can play at their home ground and still ask for home games against big drawing sides.

Anyway I digress. If my tax dollars were going anywhere, I'd rather it go to NMFC as opposed to the hundreds of corrupt pollies using their credit cards for an island getaway with their mistresses.
images (70).jpeg images (69).jpeg

I understand that,it will be interesting what happens here because a number of people in Tassie believe we shouldn't have to pay money to north and Hawks this year for the deals.

Applogies Mr Taswegian, am not familiar with Tasmanian State Economy, on that front what is the situation?
Just wondering how deep in the hole they are and how going forward will our Tas plan be?

Applogies Mr Taswegian, am not familiar with Tasmanian State Economy, on that front what is the situation?
Just wondering how deep in the hole they are and how going forward will our Tas plan be?
The tasmania economy was in a good way before the virus,but it has definitly taken a hint now,I don't currently see any risk to the deals though, although the premier has said that if we had a second wave it would cost the state at least 100 million.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back