Discussion I want to start a a campaign to (M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable

Remove this Banner Ad

i dont know how viable the VFL would be if they went stand alone... i think the comment i heard was Sandy need St Kilda more then St Kilda need Sandy in the stand point of existance hence the control has been smoother in the last few years over the initial merge of our clubs .. we keep Sandy afloat and if we were to pull the pin theres every chance Sandy would go belly up ...

Peter Summers said it best i felt when he said we need to be respectful to the fact Sandy have their own history and their own identity that they hold as an important thing just as St Kilda do so just going in guns ablaze turning Sandy into St Kilda needs to be done with in respect of that... previously i think we were too quick to take control of Sandy that it got noses out of joint and it was an us vs them mentality, im not in Victoria so i cant say for certain but the feel i get from the last couple of times ive been at the club is that we have started repairing that

I don't think it will be the VFL choice to go alone. They haven't got the money. It will depend if the AFL get the reserves comp up and running. Its still a bit of up versus them but only because the AFL players mix with themselves and so do the VFL players. That is natural because the 2 groups have different mates. The same would happen even if we had a reserves side on their own. The players are fine with each other when the game starts.

i cant comment on what you know for certain .. but i know when we asked the question about a stand alone VFL team of Matt Finnis and then President Peter Summers the responce was that for thecost the return was not worth it and the energy was better placed improving the already in place relationship and making that work rather than standing alone ... i believe the major stumbling block was the VFL not wanting another stand alone team
I have heard Finnis say that that our own team would be the preferred option and that was in the last 12 - 18 months
They would love our own 2nds side playing out of Linton st with the AFLW side there as well and as for cost Carlton pulled the pin on their alignment because of cost
If and when we want our own 2nd side the AFL won't stand in our way just like they won't stand in Carltons way

And Summers was all about cost and Bassett has said we need to spend and support the Footy dept and the footy dept 100% want full control of the 2nds side

I have heard Finnis say that that our own team would be the preferred option and that was in the last 12 - 18 months
They would love our own 2nds side playing out of Linton st with the AFLW side there as well and as for cost Carlton pulled the pin on their alignment because of cost
If and when we want our own 2nd side the AFL won't stand in our way just like they won't stand in Carltons way

And Summers was all about cost and Bassett has said we need to spend and support the Footy dept and the footy dept 100% want full control of the 2nds side

We do have 100% control apart from the players that are recruited outside the AFL and as they don't really mix with AFL players apart from the captains run and game day whether they are with Sandy or with us.

Every club would if they could afford it. That doesn’t mean the sandy thing isn’t working. I know for a fact it is. We control sandy. We don’t have the money to be on our own and the afl won’t let us even if we did. That could change after the Coronavirus if they have a reserves comp. another expense we can’t afford. If we had our own side instead of sandy we would be paying up to 20 extra players extra coaches etc.

I did some work with a VFL player, it's not big money. He said he gets about $600 a game. He gets heaps more for country footy.

The Pledge seems to have stalled. It has raised roughly $150,000. I'm not surprised though. To raise something significant there needs to be a sustained fund raiser with a celebrity as the main man / woman. George what do you think? Joffaboy I want your input please.

The Pledge seems to have stalled. It has raised roughly $150,000. I'm not surprised though. To raise something significant there needs to be a sustained fund raiser with a celebrity as the main man / woman. George what do you think? Joffaboy I want your input please.
It hasn't stalled.

It hasn't stalled.
Sorry, I probably wrote that wrong. What I meant was that it will raise some decent money no doubt however, it only has a limited life span. Originally when I made the suggestion I was thinking in terms of a Debt Demolition fund raiser. Lots of different events being staged by the Supporters to raise (hopefully) millions. There have already been lots of great ideas listed already by other posters.

It was not my intention to offend.

Not sure if this is right to post here?

It’s an uphill battle to keep our younger supporters supporting Saints & in similiar gear as their friends when the stores don’t even bother stocking Saints gear like they stock other teams. It’s very AFL/media driven. Putting the link to Best & Less for comparison. I know theirs a supporter gear shop @ Moorabin & online. But it’s what’s out there for families etc

George said:
Total Amount Raised: $163,865.00 - 16/06/2020
As I have said previously, this was a good idea but it is not a Debt Demolition. This is why I am disappointed that we did not go ahead with the full on fund raiser that we were talking about last month. Wouldn't now be the best time to do this? Then we could show the 2 secret benefactors that here you go. We have raised $5mill and now it is over to you to clear the rest of our debt!!!!!!!

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable

As I have said previously, this was a good idea but it is not a Debt Demolition. This is why I am disappointed that we did not go ahead with the full on fund raiser that we were talking about last month. Wouldn't now be the best time to do this? Then we could show the 2 secret benefactors that here you go. We have raised $5mill and now it is over to you to clear the rest of our debt!!!!!!!

Why don't you do it then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would a bf fund raiser make more than the club? Instead of typing do something

How would it be different to the last thing the club did? People were asked to make a donation to help the club out. What else do you expect?
They also offered shirts and other things in return for some donations.

How would your idea hit the $5million mark when the Saints effort didn’t?

Why would a bf fund raiser make more than the club? Instead of typing do something
The club hasn't started a full on Fund raiser.
If we were to start something it would need a minimum of 10 people first to thrash out ideas and come up with a plan.

How would it be different to the last thing the club did? People were asked to make a donation to help the club out. What else do you expect?
They also offered shirts and other things in return for some donations.

How would your idea hit the $5million mark when the Saints effort didn’t?
It would not be "my idea". It would be all the suggestions that a working party can come up with. There have already been a few good ideas put forward by posters in this thread.:arrowup:

Why don't you do it then.
Agree 100% 10 dollars a month av for 2 years x 44000 plus some big donations -all done and dusted-something like this must happen or we will die the death of 1000 cuts
It would not be "my idea". It would be all the suggestions that a working party can come up with. There have already been a few good ideas put forward by posters in this thread.:arrowup:
Agree 100% 10 dollars a month av for 2 years x 44000 plus some big donations -all done and dusted-something like this must happen or we will die the death of 1000 cuts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back