Universal Love Classic Carlton Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Just one last recollection from that West Coast game. How good was Adrian Whitehead? Such a shame that his career was ruined through injury. He would have developed into another Ratts.
I'll give you another name....Justin Davies.

Played for us around 2005, and was massively talented before being decimated by injuries....for those who may remember him....

1589024109455.png

I watched a game from 1995 recently. It’s amazing to hear the change in commentary style. It’s like the commentators in ‘95 accepted that they weren’t the reason why people tuned in to watch the footy.
Yep called the game and didnt make it about them. So refreshing. Was enjoyable to listen to.

Except 1999 when they had the umpire as a special comments, start of the downward spiral

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

I'll give you another name....Justin Davies.

Played for us around 2005, and was massively talented before being decimated by injuries....for those who may remember him....

View attachment 872933
He had his moments.

Against Collingwood at the MCG.

The pre-season GF against West Coast. Cracker of a hand pass that only us immortals can see.

He had his moments.

Against Collingwood at the MCG.

The pre-season GF against West Coast. Cracker of a hand pass that only us immortals can see.
was there, 3 in the last from memory........

I’m torn asunder between my loyalty to Down Memory Lane and this thread.

Round 3 1995 Carlton v Footscray at the MCG. Beautiful sunny day and Carlton won by 98 points (kicked 23 goals in one game!).

Sticks kicked 10.7 and sat on the bench for the last 15 minutes of the game (SOS had a rest up forward and kicked 2. 12 in total from full forward that day). 17 shots at goal. Not a record. Jezza had 18 against Hawthorn when we kicked 30.30 in 1969 (was there). Unfortunately Jezza kicked 6.12 that day. Sticks did top Soapy’s record of 9 against the Doggies. The record had stood for over six decades.

Same commentary as for the West Coast game. Great game to watch. Fast and skilful. Umpires paying free kicks. How did we get to where we are today? Who wouldn’t have been happy with that brand of footy (except for the Doggies)?

I think I’ll mosey on over to DML to redress the balance with Vallence.

Last edited:
Earl was the heaviest player to ever wear the Navy Blue.

Today's fun fact was brought to you by Jeremias in the Blues Trivia Extravaganza thread
he had an awkard looking body. wide around the hips and maybe thats where the weight was too because i (like many others during the quiz) never would have guessed him being 110 kg.

Watched a few old school 90's games the last week, bit of boredom when should be working. 99 prelim, 1996 h&a game against ess and another against ess in 1997.

One thing I noticed, younger guys like camporeale, Whitehead, bond etc were alot cleaner and better kicks than those who were a bit older (Hanna, Mitchell, Hogg etc). Was a sign that foot skills was going up with that generation.

Brad Pearce played well each game - not sure what happend to him, ratten was just supurb, diesel kicking skills at times was just another level (was also skinny as in 1997), Bradley just runs all day, sticks dominated most of the games, sexton dominate while SOS kicked 6 as a full forward. Kouta showing what a power he would become. Rhino had a ripper in 1996.

Also, blokes would go missing for a qtr or a half as they sat in the pine. Commentators telling us who came on/off as it was important back then.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m in the crowd in the forward pocket (look for me) and I patted Harmesy on the back after that 1-2 with Kenny Sheldon. Ball was definitely in.
Love ya Robbo

Trevor Keough, Barry Amrstrong, Percy Jones and Jezza. Only seen them about 2 or 3 seasons each.
Why was Vinny Cattoggio not out there. Was there just too many mosquito fleeters to fit him in also ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back