Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of what you've posted about Robinson and Waite is something that will be true for an incredible amount of AFL players, Elmer. These are young men recruited into extremely well paying jobs from the age of 18, who spend their time in hypermasculine environments in which their behaviour is dictated so deeply that their eating habits are scrutinized and their job performance is analysed on TV and radio. So, well paid players who cannot drink (it's bad for their weight) without outlet; it is small wonder if players turn to drugs, and not cigarettes or weed but harder stuff. The cash barrier isn't there for them the same way it is the rest of society, and it has a duration that fades in time for the next game.

Most of what you've posted about Robinson and Waite is a societal issue compounded by football rather than a feature of football, and as a consequence players who manage to be outed as addicts suffer notoriety regardless of whether or not it's true. The difference between you and Mitch Robinson (or Chris Yarran) is that were your drug addiction revealed publicly, while you would be shamed by it there's a good chance no-one beyond your immediate sphere will spread the information whether or not it is true. These players do not have the same luxury; their names are featured in lights.

So, with all due respect, I do not think you realise the extent to which gossip based on spurious facts can ruin lives. I rather think you should ruminate on this, and think a little more deeply about implying things are 'in the public domain' when they were implied by the vultures in the media rather than proven, and I rather think you should find the means to realise how your attitude towards drug addiction and privacy is severely twisted.

Fair enough, and I appreciate your civil and intelligent responses to my posts, although I don't fully agree with all of what you have posted, you certainly have given me food for thought and a perspective I hadn't given much thought of previously. Obviously I felt (and still do) that we made the right call getting rid of Robinson, you clearly disagree (and fair enough)

Think we have covered enough on this topic now, and this will be my final post on the matter but what I will finally say is I don't harbour any grudges or ill feeling towards Robbo or Waite anymore, would be happy to see both back at the club as former players one day.
Time as they say, heals all wounds.

try to keep the articles same day........sheesh.........who printed this, gutenberg?
Considering on the degree of boredness running around at the moment, this gave me a thought:

Classics galore!

Most of what I have posted about Waite and Robinson was already common knowledge/out in the public domain, Mitch Robinson (like Fevola before him) has no one to blame but himself for being booted from Carlton, if he undisclosed mental health or issues I wasn't aware of, then naturally I sympathize, but clearly the club made the right call (least for him) letting him go, The Loiguidace board (which unfortunately had to pay out a wrongly appointed coach) has made it a mandate to stamp out players who were notorious trouble makers and bad influences on the playing group, and quite frankly Mitch Robinson, Waite and the ilk were part of it.

With all due respect, I am not sure if you realized how much of a nuiscance and liability Robbo had become at the club when he got the flick.
And yes, it was arguably the club's fault for probablh not educating or disciplining Robbo enough at the time for issues like alcohol and breaking curfew etc
What are all these robbo’s issues you talk about? The only robbo incident that I’m aware of is the late night brawl which I think Garlett was also involved in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anything else on Mitch. ? That it ? Like another poster said Mitch would have been great during the rebuild as a protector. He did nail some forward kicks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
i doubt it. the way elmer was talking he made it sound like robbo was up to no good every day of the week. A fight he and there...he would have (as he has done so) grew out out of it anyway. I think we had bigger issues at the club at that time.

Hi there. (hope this is in the right thread)
In my researching I've discovered never-before-seen colour footage of Carl vs Coll
I've uploaded it to youtube.

(btw, if anyone have any old vhs reels, or old audio cassettes of footy shows/broadcasts that were recorded off the radio, don't throw them out!, I'm happy to get them digitised and upload them. Just DM me. Easy as.)

Carlton vs Collingwood Rd 16 1974 at Waverley

Cheers
Rhett
RFC Historian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back