Tiger Old Timers if you could trade 2019 for a victory in the 1982 Grand Final would you do it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
This is a question for the older Tiger supporters who lived through the 1982 Grand Final loss. If you could trade in the 2019 victory for a victory in 1982? (2017 is obviously off the table) would you do it? I still haven't ever watched a replay of 1982 and I think what made waiting for 2017 so much worse was the fact that we threw away our last premiership opportunity. I remember I think Maurice Rioli once musing that even after so many years he still didn't quite know how we lost it. I think if we win another premiership this year or next I might be able to make myself watch 1982 again, but having said that, would you do it? (And yeah having asked a question like this who'd want to be Collingwood supporter!)

I was watching that game in Bellingen NSW...that loss still hurts...just like that Boyanich GF loss I was listening to that one at Russell Street Police Station Victoria...both losses should never have happened... :(

The reason I hate Carlton is that 1982 GF. Their subsequent years of cheating just further confirmed to me that they are more interested in getting away with something than actually competing. Booooo!

And I wouldn't swap it for the world. There's no hero without a villain, and 1982 gave me a bewty.

Besides, the 2019 season and premiership might be my favourite of all-time. Overcoming adversary, the growth of Shedda, Grimes and Prestia, putting that ultimate belief in multiple young 'uns to set us up for the future and that smooth, creamy premiership head on an ice cold pint of domination.

Still pisses me off that game! :mad: However, I had seen five Tiger flags by that stage and this era belongs to supporters, like my son, who have never known a successful Richmond team.
Plus, I am really enjoying this period of dominance as well.

Wouldn't change a thing.
You win some you lose some.
Grew up when were kings.
Our Greatest era.
82 was not as bad as what would happen for the next 30 odd years.
A loss you can get over,But 30yrs of bring crap.You can't escape.
Confident we learnt our lessons of the past.

we seemingly had control in '82
the stripper came onto the ground and put a scarf around Bruce Doull
and that break in play was enough
Carlton regathered we didn't the rest is history

I don't feel we were cheated , we won the '80 GF by what was a record margin then and do feel we got complacent
and it was a sign of things to come

<insert dark past here >

2017 sleeping giant awakes
2018 we slip on a banana peel
2019 we needed to confirm we were a power side and 2 out of 3 and minor premiers in other has done that

I don't think a premiership in '82 would have changed much , maybe only delayed the slide by a year or two

10 years old and couldn't stop crying after the game

Wouldn't trade it for 2019.. the last 3 years has been what I have been waiting for my whole adult life

Same champ but I was 7, balled my eyes out.

Wouldn't change the last 3 years for the world no matter how much I hate Carlton.

Should have won ten years earlier too.

However, Carlton is making up for it this century. Most Baggers are quiet now.

I have always said that in my lifetime, Richmond only loses grand finals in extraordinary circumstances and Richmond players only win Brownlows in extraordinary circumstances. It's not a bad cross to bear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as losing in 1982 was tough, especially after mouthing off early among a bunch of new mates up in Bundaberg, who just happened to barrack for Carlton, I learned a bit about life that year. The ridicule that followed the next 6 years in that great town was of my own making! It was a relief to come back to Melbourne after that and I kept my choice words to myself from then on. Lesson learned.

Geez I was a cocky s**t throughout the finals. I'd completely overlooked Carlton got us in the first encounter that year, after leading well. They pretty much smashed us late in the season in the second encounter, so when we jumped them early in the Second Semi and held on really well through the game, I was strutting around town. Carlton had to do it the hard way, playing four finals games in a row. What do they say, 'good teams win games in the third quarter and great teams win the entire second half'. They did both. As an old boy and somewhat student of the game, I concede they were the better team - but at half time I could smell victory in that Grand Final and was busy rubbing that in the face of anyone I could see at our GF footy club barbecue. 60 minutes later I was a mug!

Last edited:
PS: 72 pisses me off even worse!!!
Horrible day.

Agree. In 1982, Carlton were a far better team than us - they did what we did last year - got into good form in the latter half of the year and ran that to a flag (I know we got them in the 2nd semi, but that just gave Carlton a look at us, and they changed a few things around for the GF. Hate to say it, but Parkin was a better coach than St Francis).

1972 - we were far and away the better team. We were hot favourites - rightly. Carlton went for the desperation 'make some moves and hope they come off'. They did, plus they kicked goals out of their arse all game - they couldn't miss. They could not stop us scoring (we still kicked 22 goals), but the whole game was played on their terms - which meant not the way we wanted it. It was basically a flat-out sprint from the start.

1982 - we got done by a better team.
1972 - we got done because we got sucked into playing their game.

I was watching that game in Bellingen NSW...that loss still hurts...just like that Boyanich GF loss I was listening to that one at Russell Street Police Station Victoria...both losses should never have happened... :(
Russell Street? What were the charges? Reminds me of a Sports song

1982 sucked. But in the end they were better. Winning might have delayed the disaster about to fall. But not by much - we were toxic back then.

2019 was too easy, but also feels like we are both creating a dynasty now, and building a future contender team.

So winning in 82 would have been Grace before a fall, whilst 2019 is reward in teh way up. In many ways I prefer now. I like to think 2019 is the making of another chapter in the current dynasty.

the what if's
if we were able to freeze 1982 and make it a best of 3 series
I'd like to think '82 was a combination a tad complacent and something of an ambush
things came good for the Blues right at the end of the season
we were a known commodity they weren't
with a week to lick our wounds and study match replays we might have seen a very different performance
one befitting of a favourite status from the week before

Still pisses me off that game! :mad: However, I had seen five Tiger flags by that stage and this era belongs to supporters, like my son, who have never known a successful Richmond team.
Plus, I am really enjoying this period of dominance as well.
Yep absolutely , my young fellow was born bounce of the ball start of 1983 and for him the current era is manna from heaven, but s**t I still get teary watching it.

Hell no ….But alternately what would you trade for the 2018 flag …..
Sounds Faustian to me. Only just shaken off a 37 year hoodoo/gypsy curse/Kurdaicha bone pointing/devil deal. Lets just let 2018 be the "lesson" on which our future is based. It was sad that the Pies won their 25th flag, but 2019 showed the RFC had a huge appetite for success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back