Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 9, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
1589815377341.jpeg

They grow up sooo quick

A very modern team that’s for sure

heeney lol

In fairness though it probably depends on the demographics or familiarity of those who voted.

Eg. I would have Heeney in my best 22 Swans ever easily, because I've only seen Swans from about 1998. Others have been Swans fans for a lot longer and have a bigger range of Swans to choose from.

Part of our return from Carlton for giving up Williams in 91. Full Forward for a team that couldn't play but he was the least of our worries in those years.

Were we as bad as our records back then suggest? Heard a lot about the dark times of the early 90s. Was it Melbourne of 2007-2013 bad?

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Part of our return from Carlton for giving up Williams in 91. Full Forward for a team that couldn't play but he was the least of our worries in those years.

Tasmanian team of the century nominee thank you very much - cue The King!

(Yes, I'm actually posting something complimentary about a Tasmanian for once.)

Tasmanian team of the century nominee thank you very much - cue The King!

(Yes, I'm actually posting something complimentary about a Tasmanian for once.)

Not sure he bumps Peter Hudson out

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
is buckernarra the worst swans coach in the sydney era? easily in my mind
He was.

To paraphrase a few comments from a reserves player at that time that I know (which were reflected in a few newspaper articles) - He should never have been appointed in the first place. He was woefully out of his depth and, to be fair, even a good experienced coach would have struggled at that time. We really were a rabble then.

Nevertheless, his tactics and interactions with players were described to me as at best naive bordering on plain incompetent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Was just reading through wiki and landed on. Simon Minton-Connell

Any recollections?
We replaced him with Lockett in 95. Given how bad we were (we lost 26 in a row during his stay) he wasn’t the issue. He was a decent footballer without being a superstar. Tough period with the likes of Dunstall, Ablett Snr and Lockett as the premier full forwards.
His goal average suggests he’d be a walk in to our team these days (and most others).

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Were we as bad as our records back then suggest? Heard a lot about the dark times of the early 90s. Was it Melbourne of 2007-2013 bad?

We were terrible, so many players that either didn't want to be there or weren't suited to league football. The 1992/93 Swans side was worst team I have ever seen play this game in my life time and the 4 wins and a draw over the 2 seasons was mainly achieved by Round 8 of 1992. To go 1 win in 37 matches and that to the end of 1993 shows this team was just plain bad, not unlucky.

Melbourne of 07-13 while bad, had 8 wins and a draw in 2010 and 11 and they set out to lose on purpose, so they don't get to our 92/93 levels of bad. They were inept at what they did but I would've taken the amount of wins they had in 92 or 93.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
We were terrible, so many players that either didn't want to be there or weren't suited to league football. The 1992/93 Swans side was worst team I have ever seen play this game in my life time and the 4 wins and a draw over the 2 seasons was mainly achieved by Round 8 of 1992. To go 1 win in 37 matches and that to the end of 1993 shows this team was just plain bad, not unlucky.

Melbourne of 07-13 while bad, had 8 wins and a draw in 2010 and 11 and they set out to lose on purpose, so they don't get to our 92/93 levels of bad. They were inept at what they did but I would've taken the amount of wins they had in 92 or 93.
Terrible years but funnily enough 3 seasons later we were 4 goals up in a grand final, goes to show how quickly things can change, that 92 to 94 era in my opinion created a bond between about half a dozen or so players like Kelly cresswell dunkley Bayes Mooney luff Lewis (all part of our 1 win 1993 season) Obviously we recruited very well between 93 and 95 to add to these players mentioned.

HighReeve

Anything will grow in Wessex
Sep 27, 2003
the north. (/melb)
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brotherhood Without Banners
Was a full time defensive midfielder so those 24 goals are more than they seem.

Came 7th in the real B&F, playing 6 games less than everyone ahead of him.

OK fair enough, after -10 years and -100 games of AFL he once had a consistent year where he managed to maintain his average of a goal a game while also averaging 20 disposals per game for the only year of his career.

Disappointing for a tagger to be considered top 10. Shows the lack of imagination and defensive mindset in the coaches box holding us back.
We only lost six games that year.
Only three losses after R4.

Symptomatic of the lacklustre list management.
He wasn't there in 2012. 2014 he managed 11 touches in the GF. 2016, for some ******* reason he was still on the list and actually selected in the GF. For 9 touches. Only two players on the ground had less than that.

Eeking out a goal a game over ten years is just not worth it for someone with such kicking limitations. You can get a goal a game from a rookie listed teenager.

Quick question. One of my daughter's relocated to Melbourne earlier this year and lives in Sanctuary Lakes, can someone tell me what her local footy team would be?
Quick google to a quick question and I get...

Looks like the Sanstuary Lakes Sharks FC has recently shifted to become the Point Cook Centrals Sharks in the WRFL.

Quick google to a quick question and I get...

Looks like the Sanstuary Lakes Sharks FC has recently shifted to become the Point Cook Centrals Sharks in the WRFL.
Sorry I should have clarified AFL team. All her neighbours are Hawthorne fans but I didn't think that would be the area team.

Sorry I should have clarified AFL team. All her neighbours are Hawthorne fans but I didn't think that would be the area team.

Your daughter will make Sanctuary Lakes another centre of Bloods' support over time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back