News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

Hi and thanks for the welcome! My boyfriend showed me a snippet of the game in 2016 and I started seriously watching in late May 2017! I love the Bombers so much and can't imagine life without them! I have my international membership too 🔴⚫
Thats great to hear! We will have games on again soon. Hopefully they stay on top of things in New York so you guys can get back to some sort of normality soon.

Do you like NFL as well? What was it about AFL that drew you in?

Thats great to hear! We will have games on again soon. Hopefully they stay on top of things in New York so you guys can get back to some sort of normality soon.

Do you like NFL as well? What was it about AFL that drew you in?

Counting down every. single. day! Thanks, it's been an interesting 10 weeks in quarantine...to say the least. Fan of NFL but prefer College Football. There is NOTHING quite like the AFL. And where do I start? It's just thee most dimensional, complex, fascinating, intelligent and exhilarating game anyone can and will ever see! I've been trying to convert peeps from the beginning haha!

Counting down every. single. day! Thanks, it's been an interesting 10 weeks in quarantine...to say the least. Fan of NFL but prefer College Football. There is NOTHING quite like the AFL. And where do I start? It's just thee most dimensional, complex, fascinating, intelligent and exhilarating game anyone can and will ever see! I've been trying to convert peeps from the beginning haha!
If someone from the club is reading this - we need to get AFL Obsessed some sort of Ambassadorial membership ASAP!

Its great to hear your story. Hopefully we have some success to celebrate over the next few seasons :)

If someone from the club is reading this - we need to get AFL Obsessed some sort of Ambassadorial membership ASAP!

Its great to hear your story. Hopefully we have some success to celebrate over the next few seasons :)

Haha don't I wish! I was so excited about the potential game with GWS here in the States. But I'm definitely looking forward to our season and beyond!

Haha don't I wish! I was so excited about the potential game with GWS here in the States. But I'm definitely looking forward to our season and beyond!
Seems you might get games if the recent exposure over there is any indication. I just watched a YouTube 'Pat McAfee learns EVERYTHING about Australian Rules Football' - an interview with Mason Cox from about a month ago - Its funny as.

Seems you might get games if the recent exposure over there is any indication. I just watched a YouTube 'Pat McAfee learns EVERYTHING about Australian Rules Football' - an interview with Mason Cox from about a month ago - Its funny as.

Sure hope so! Yes, Pat McAfee became a convert after he saw our Essendon game vs Freo in Round 1! I think the club sent him Stringer's guernsey because he is a fan. Loved that interview and will always be a fan of Mason Cox because he's American- like me!

Sure hope so! Yes, Pat McAfee became a convert after he saw our Essendon game vs Freo in Round 1! I think the club sent him Stringer's guernsey because he is a fan. Loved that interview and will always be a fan of Mason Cox because he's American- like me!
Great to hear Pats a bombers fan!! He strikes me as a Stringer sort of guy too. Who is your favourite Bomber?

Oh completely! Fave current player? The Big Bear Hurls, I just love him. Retired player- Jobe Watson without question. What about you?
Yeah Jobe's hard to go past. Hopefully Hurley can have some success in the next year or 2 - he deserves it. I'm actually a fan of Stringer and then I'd say Mckenna or Redman. Anyone super talented thats also a bit crazy gets a tick from me. I think Essendon is at its best when we have players who play the game on the edge :)

Have you joined in on the gameday threads.on here (speaking of crazy)?

Honestly, love the team and have always loved McKenna! Red Dog is pretty awesome and Stringer is just so exciting to watch! I probs have 10 fave players currently, such great personalities and playing styles.

Ooooooh gameday threads must find...legit newbie because I started posting on here only a few days ago. Thanks for telling me about it- I welcome that kind of crazy, haha!

Melbourne is in an average position now. Community transmission is happening across different local government areas and with the amount of people out and about, that will continue to rise. Some people have had enough of the restrictions and don't want to follow them anymore. I think that the blm rally going ahead and with case numbers low at that point caused a change in psychology in the general public in that COVID-19 was over.

I'm not sure if Melbourne numbers can stabilise and go back down from here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne is in an average position now. Community transmission is happening across different local government areas and with the amount of people out and about, that will continue to rise. Some people have had enough of the restrictions and don't want to follow them anymore. I think that the blm rally going ahead and with case numbers low at that point caused a change in psychology in the general public in that COVID-19 was over.

The positive is it appears the spread is in large families. We may have dodged a massive bullet with the protest, though the fact it was 14 days ago and the spike has started doesn't fill me with confidence.

The issues are Vic has had high community transmission this entire time but because other states are doing so well Victorians have had enough, the transmission factor hasn't been drilled into enough to educate people.

Fingers crossed this small spike doesn't get bigger but it's a turning point now, fast forward a week or two where will we be?

The positive is it appears the spread is in large families. We may have dodged a massive bullet with the protest, though the fact it was 14 days ago and the spike has started doesn't fill me with confidence.

The issues are Vic has had high community transmission this entire time but because other states are doing so well Victorians have had enough, the transmission factor hasn't been drilled into enough to educate people.

Fingers crossed this small spike doesn't get bigger but it's a turning point now, fast forward a week or two where will we be?
I think it was another 10 community transmission cases today. We are at a bit of a crossroads at the moment, hopefully people take a step back and ease up on the outings and gatherings. I'm concerned though.

Well. It has before.

Well. It has before.
Very true and hopefully it can again. I just think that the first time round people were willing to follow the stay at home orders. I'm not convinced people will follow it as strictly if we face tough lockdown measures again. Do you think the majority of people in Melbourne would accept and follow strict isolation measures again?

Very true and hopefully it can again. I just think that the first time round people were willing to follow the stay at home orders. I'm not convinced people will follow it as strictly if we face tough lockdown measures again. Do you think the majority of people in Melbourne would accept and follow strict isolation measures again?
They might have to if they are enforced by the law.

That is a very good question my friend. My head and heart say two different things.

Do you think the majority of people in Melbourne would accept and follow strict isolation measures again?

Previously there was pretty widespread support for it, not sure the public sentiment will be the same a second time around.

People might tolerate some limitations but unless numbers go ballistic I don’t think they’ll abide full-blown stay at home restrictions for long.

Sweden is best to compare with its Scandinavian neighbours and they are thousands of deaths ahead and they will most probably suffer more economically as their neighbours open borders with others and exclude Sweden. Their chief MO came out the other day and said he was surprised they haven’t seen more antibodies in victims so their herd immunity idea is shot. We still obviously don’t fully understand the virus.

In American football one of the best and strongest defenders in the NFL Von Miller caught the virus and he said he suffered a fair bit and is still not fully recovered couple of months later. Footballers have families, to suggest herd immunity is simply ridiculous. It’s a war on a pandemic, wars can take some time.

You brought up Italy, implying that our medical system would be subjected to that sort of strain and that 120 doctors/medicos would die.

I've explained why there is no reason to assume that will happen in Victoria. I brought up Sweeden because it is an example of a country that has not been locked down and which does not have an overwhelmed medical system or deaths of doctors. It's has a similar population to ours over a similar landmass. Unlike New York Sweeden and Victoria both have blue chip medical systems which are not compromised by profit motive (certainly no where near the extent of the reality for the US medical systems).

The interesting thing about Sweden is that it seems to suggest Covid-19 is not as transmissible as was thought. I'll need to look it to the explanation for it but there is a gaping hole in the numbers. I'll round the numbers for the sake of simplicity.

If 20% of Stockholm is thought to have contracted Covid-19 and there has only been 10% detection of the anti-bodies what happened with the other 10%? There have been 16,000 cases of Covid-19 in Stockholm county. The population of Stockholm metro is 2.377 million. The number of case is 0.67% of the population.

What this suggests is that herd immunity is not happening because the combination of social distancing and protecting the vulnerable (and protecting the vulnerable is something the chief strategist says they got wrong, as in they didn't do enough) means that the virus is not being transmitted in the population. Not because humans are incapable of developing the anti-bodies.

Had my covid test this morning due to coming down with what seems a cold and cough, but more importantly as I was in Brunswick on Wednesday and it's now been deemed a 'hotspot.' Not a fun experience. I wish you all the widest of nasal passages. I'm fairly sure they jabbed my brain.
Ew. Guessing you got the same treatment Redman got (he posted a video of himself being tested a while ago).

Ew. Guessing you got the same treatment Redman got (he posted a video of himself being tested a while ago).
It is not fun. My younger brother & his son were tested last week, as my nephew goes to Strathmore PS where a kid tested positive, and they both told me it was a piece of piss. Didn't even hurt. THEY LIED!!!

Just when you think they've gone back far enough they go back further and I reckon jab your brain.

0.5/5 STARS, only because the nurse was lovely.

It is not fun. My younger brother & his son were tested last week, as my nephew goes to Strathmore PS where a kid tested positive, and they both told me it was a piece of piss. Didn't even hurt. THEY LIED!!!

Just when you think they've gone back far enough they go back further and I reckon jab your brain.

0.5/5 STARS, only because the nurse was lovely.
And this is the newer gentler version.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back