Which club is Western Bulldogs biggest rival?

Western Bulldogs biggest rival?

• Essendon

Votes: 40 13.0%
  • Geelong

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 77 25.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Richmond

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 39 12.7%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • GWS

Votes: 118 38.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Voted for GWS some time ago and the rivalry has only gotten spicier since then! Hope we get two H&A games against them next year :fire:

Side note: The benefit of them winning this weekend is they'll take the mantle of weakest premiership team of this decade off us/Richmond. Plus if they have a premiership hangover then it could help our chances next year. But Toby Greene holding the cup would be nauseating :sick:

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
My thoughts on who I hate the most are pretty well known on here.

We all have our own views on who we hate the most, but traditionally speaking our rivals would be Essendon and Norf purely due to geographic reasons.

Should also note that rivalries and supporter dislike towards a club can and does evolve over time.

With regards to the Tigers, I don’t really have a major problem with them these days, but early in the 2000’s I disliked them very much.

I’ll be supporting them on Saturday as I cannot stand gws but also I don’t actually dislike the Tigers (sorry Chicago!) I like Dusty, Cotchin and Hardwick (although I couldn’t stand Hardwick as a player) and like the way the side plays.

Also in my early days of following football and the Dogs the club I hated the most was Carlton (Elliott, success, arrogance etc), but that too has dissipated somewhat. I’ll probably hate them when they come good again, which hopefully is a fair way away.

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If that poll was started today and not 2011 gws would have alot more that 48% of the vote. More like 98%.

Been following the dogs for 50 years and this is the most hatred i have had for a club.

Most supporter rivalry is faux BS.... i hate club x coz my mum or dad did.

I really do hate them..... am i a bad person?

Why are North or Essendon a rival? I don't get it.

As for the Whitten cup, that is just embarrassing for all concerned.
A fair bit of it might be due to their suburban territory being adjacent to ours so that naturally puts us in competition for fans and players.

The Essendon rivalry goes back a fair way, possibly as far back as 1924 when they were VFL premiers and we - the VFA premiers - knocked them off in a match billed as the Championship of Victoria (a.k.a. World Championship of Footy). Some here have an understandable resentment of Essendon FC for circling our better players like vultures during Fightback in 1989 while other clubs (notably Collingwood who a lot of people hate) stood by us and helped our cause. Essendon hate us for preventing them from being the first and only club in history to go through a season undefeated in 2000. Anyway Essendon were always pretty arrogant up to the drug scandal (which they continue to deny through their official publication the Sun-Herald) and they've often treated us with condescension or even contempt (Sheedy is a prime example, but Lloyd has been guilty at times).

Norf/North is a different matter. They've always been battlers in the VFL/AFL like us so it would seem logical that we'd be brothers in arms against the bigger clubs and the AFL. However we might see each other as rivals not to be the next club to go out backwards (like the joke about the bloke putting on running shoes on the Serengeti and saying he only had to outrun his mate, not the lion). Leon can undoubtedly give you a colourful diatribe on why Norf is a rival. They haven't really bothered me that much.

You guys watch front bar right, your coach literally wants to get in the ring with leon cameron and go a few rounds.
Once the hatred gets in the coaches and senior players, it endures.
Pity poor Leon if he gets in the ring with Bevo.

No wait ...

“hey Leon, don’t worry about Bevo. He’s just a cute cuddly teddy bear.”

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Has to be Sydney doesn't it?
I think it changes, we don't really have a historic big rival like many other clubs. I voted Norf based on our games from the last 5 years or so. Sydney, Hawthorn and GWS have been fairly big rivals of ours the last few years too, and I can imagine I'll end up with a different answer in another 3 years time

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think it changes, we don't really have a historic big rival like many other clubs. I voted Norf based on our games from the last 5 years or so. Sydney, Hawthorn and GWS have been fairly big rivals of ours the last few years too, and I can imagine I'll end up with a different answer in another 3 years time
Would never consider North rivals. I very much dislike things about them but I don't hate them. You can't build a rivalry off a few games in the H&A seasons.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would never consider North rivals. I very much dislike things about them but I don't hate them. You can't build a rivalry off a few games in the H&A seasons.
Our games generally get quite heated (without being dirty like GWS) and have been really competitive. Definitely don't hate them either, which is part of why I wouldn't really consider anyone a true "rival"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes

Our games generally get quite heated (without being dirty like GWS) and have been really competitive. Definitely don't hate them either, which is part of why I wouldn't really consider anyone a true "rival"

My thoughts on norf differ slightly from both of you.

Dec 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arizona Cardinals
GWS. Didn’t Toby Green tell Macca to gagf when he approached him to play for us early on? The whole Ryan G thing, Tom Boyd, Prelim finals, Toby Green again, Cal Ward?? The last decade is littered with hatred and thank god we are still on top given we can stick our flag right up their dark wet clackers whenever we feel like it still :)

They can get ****ed as far as I’m concerned. Mother*ers.

PS - north for a bit when BBH nearly ripped numbnuts head off and Essendon because, well, they are a bunch of campaigners.

DD out 👍

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
Do you like them more or hate them more. If I hadn't discovered BigFooty I'd probably be neutral on them.

I hate norf more than anyone.

Their players, Brad Scott (gone but suited their victim complex, “poor us” culture to a tee), and especially their supporters - both in real world and BF - are just the ****ing worst.

I hate them so much I want both Essendon and GWS to beat them whenever they play, that’s how much I can’t stand them.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Their players, Brad Scott (gone but suited their victim complex, “poor us” culture to a tee), and especially their supporters - both in real world and BF - are just the ****ing worst.

I hate them so much I want both Essendon and GWS to beat them whenever they play, that’s how much I can’t stand them.
I dislike them for those reasons too. Their supporters also hate us and think we have some superiority complex as if there's a conspiracy against them blah blah blah. The thing that stops me from hating them is my pity for them.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I dislike them for those reasons too. Their supporters also hate us and think we have some superiority complex as if there's a conspiracy against them blah blah blah. The thing that stops me from hating them is my pity for them.
Living outside of Victoria, I have literally met one single North Melbourne supporter in my entire life, and they weren't really even a footy fan. Not a member, didn't know any of the players, didn't watch games, etc. Pretty much the most casual of footy fan. So I guess I just never see the obnoxious side to them.

On the other hand, Bombers supporters are the absolute ******* worst, and there seems to be a ton of them outside Victoria. Also given my age group, a lot of people around my generation bandwaggoned the Bombers when they had that insanely strong team around the turn of the century, and they all seem to have an air of arrogance about them. If there's one team I don't mind seeing struggling, it's the drug cheats

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I grew up in the Essendon area and was in primary school when they were most dominant. I didn't get into footy until very recently, and had some nostalgia about Essendon for that reason, then I actually read up on the drug cheating.

Adelaide have some super fragile fans right now. I also really hate Geelong. I lived there in their premiership period.

Back