Do you watch grand-finals that Richmond doesnt feature in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Soberian Tiger

Borat's cousin twice removed from village
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
As far as I can remember, the last five grannies that I set out to watch were in 2019, 2017, 1982, 1980 and 1977 (first GF).

I remember watching the odd one out in that series way back in my teens just to see Collingwood lose and they didn't, but neither did they win. At that point I thought life was surely too short to waste on such teasing negatives.

Do any others feel like that?

Always.

Except the year the Crows won their first against the Aints - my only year in Sydney - cleaned the roof instead in readiness to move back to Qld.

Priorities!

Last edited:

Yeh, some are great games like 2018 or 2016, 2012, I turned off the Hawthorn smashings as they were boring games for me by the end, and 2007 was rubbish.

Basically I'll watch all of them for as long as the contest interests me then once it's a done deal and one side is smashing the other I turn it off.

Bit shocked by the OP's question actually, just assumed everyone watches the GF regardless of who's playing.

For as long as I can remember the GF has been about getting friends together for bbq and beers.

Its a tradition that has followed me from early childhood to today.

Only exception was 2017 as I was at the G.

Yeah, usually pick a team that I want to lose and barrack against them, Carlton, Collingwood and Hawthorn usually.
Played golf instead in 2018 and only saw the last two minutes in the pro shop... the two minutes that counted :)

There have been a couple of times where I've watched bits from an airport terminal.
But otherwise, yes, beer, BBQ, half-time kick to kick at a local park.
I remember one year we picked a player each and made it into a drinking game.
My girlfriend got so drunk that we were able to just keep calling "Woewodin" at random moments and she would keep skulling, even during quarter time, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only GF I never watched on the day was the WCE verus Wobbles in 2018...just so pissed off...
Then when I heard the Wobbles lost could not find a replay quick enough!

Last edited:
I've watched every single one as long as I can remember. Become a bbq and beers day with friends. It's just in the background to a lot of people who attend, but I always watch pretty intently.
I have attended all RFC grand finals, however, for all others like you it is a BBQ with friends. The match is in the back ground on TV and everyone only starts to get interested if scores are close and it's getting late in the game. Much alcohol is consumed.

I used to when I was in my twenties, not any more especially since Geelong and Hawthorn have been featured and some of the most odious people I know support those clubs.

I have attended all RFC grand finals, however, for all others like you it is a BBQ with friends. The match is in the back ground on TV and everyone only starts to get interested if scores are close and it's getting late in the game. Much alcohol is consumed.
Attended all!!!!!
Wow, you must be Big Footies oldest poster...

I dont watch pies grand finals (the non regular game ones against us) in case they win. I have meant to go back and watch their 2018 loss though.

I couldn’t ever imagine not watching a Grand Final, whilst I’m Richmond mad I still love the AFL as a sport and couldn’t ever not watch the Grand Final.

I would be lying if I didn’t say I was incredibly flat during 2018 after we lost in the Prelim but I still watched it, as a neutral it ended up being a fantastic game and couldn’t help but get really sucked in to the game during the last quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back