Preview AFL Reboot 2020 - football to resume June 11

Actually coaches boxes are the worst places IMO.

They are confined, and there is a good chance people will be yelling, breathing heavily and talking a lot as well as spitting all over each other's computers and paperwork.

At the very least that have fully open windows on the side to promote cross flow of air.

Turn it up Ferbs. They’ll be all over each other on the ground

I reckon, after reading this:

that the bench is a place of significant risk of spread. Apart from players facing the ground instead of each other and the stadium being relatively open with good airflow it's the perfect place to spread the virus. Even with social distancing it isn't great. So everything that can be done to minimise the risk of spread should be done, including that.

That is regardless of what happens onfield.

In that article there are links showing that breathing the same air for prolonged periods and close contact where you can spread aerosols, ie singing in groups or talking and shouting in groups, are both ways to increase the spread of the virus.

Being in relative proximity ie shopping in a supermarket or running on a public walkway or bike track are much lower risks.

It doesn't talk about a full contact game like ours. But again using that article as a guide League poses a greater risk of spread than Aussie rules.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon, after reading this:

that the bench is a place of significant risk of spread. Apart from players facing the ground instead of each other and the stadium being relatively open with good airflow it's the perfect place to spread the virus. Even with social distancing it isn't great. So everything that can be done to minimise the risk of spread should be done, including that.

That is regardless of what happens onfield.

In that article there are links showing that breathing the same air for prolonged periods and close contact where you can spread aerosols, ie singing in groups or talking and shouting in groups, are both ways to increase the spread of the virus.

Being in relative proximity ie shopping in a supermarket or running on a public walkway or bike track are much lower risks.

It doesn't talk about a full contact game like ours. But again using that article as a guide League poses a greater risk of spread than Aussie rules.

Worse then five guys lying on top of each other in the contest?

It’s purely for the optics imo. I don’t like things that are done purely for the optics. Like no high fiving...it’s silly

Worse then five guys lying on top of each other in the contest?

It’s purely for the optics imo. I don’t like things that are done purely for the optics. Like no high fiving...it’s silly

It's not that it's worse than what happens onfield.

It's that it's worse than not social distancing on the bench.

One of the issues with the virus is increasing severity of infection is linked to increasing infectious dose and while what happens on field is unavoidable, transmission off field is avoidable and avoiding it lowers the infectious dose players are exposed to if they will be exposed. That's lowers potential for severe infection and that lowers the potential for bad outcomes from the virus.

I dunno if the motivation for this is optics or not, you can never tell with the AFL so it's a fair assumption, but I'm very sure the outcome will be lowered risk of transmission and severity.

If you haven't read that blog post read it. It's by a lecturer who teaches epidemiology and immunology and it's clear and well explained.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Only skimmed the news about the season starting back up.

Have we had confirmation about whether we're sticking to 1 game a week yet? I know about the WA/SA clubs relocating to Queensland and the start date for Round 2, but don't think i read anything about whether we're confirmed for 'regular' scheduling or if they are still considering condensing the season and having 1-2 games per week for every team.

cheers

Only skimmed the news about the season starting back up.

Have we had confirmation about whether we're sticking to 1 game a week yet? I know about the WA/SA clubs relocating to Queensland and the start date for Round 2, but don't think i read anything about whether we're confirmed for 'regular' scheduling or if they are still considering condensing the season and having 1-2 games per week for every team.

cheers

One game per week remains the aim and, in the event of a club or two facing a Corona induced lay-off, a more condensed schedule could be enacted to ensure the whole shebang’s wrapped up by Cox Plate weekend.

Still feel like Hardwick is talking out his arse when he says whoever wins the flag will have achieved something monumental. He is just fine tuning his trumpet.

He’s just speaking from the perspective of a coach who knows they’re in the mix again.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Anyway, is it looking like the Bears in Brisbane for round 2?

I highly doubt it.

The remaining fixture has been thrown in the bin.

I would of thought they would try and limit travel as much as possible in the early round matches.

I think you will find teams will play all others in their hubs first, by which time we should have some further relaxation of travel.

I reckon we will be playing rnd 2, 3 & 4 vs Melbourne based sides.

Makes perfect sense.

Especially as Aussie Rules is a non contact spo....

Nevermind.

Might as well do whatever you can do up until the vaccine arrives, I suppose. The success of the easing of restrictions may depend on people maintaining social distancing whenever feasible. The bench is a case in point.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Might as well do whatever you can do up until the vaccine arrives, I suppose. The success of the easing of restrictions may depend on people maintaining social distancing whenever feasible. The bench is a case in point.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They will genuinely be in physical contact with both teammates and opponents in the field, yet will have to sit 1.5m apart off the field.

It’s nonsensical.

sbdan

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2005
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rooboys
I highly doubt it.

The remaining fixture has been thrown in the bin.

I would of thought they would try and limit travel as much as possible in the early round matches.

I think you will find teams will play all others in their hubs first, by which time we should have some further relaxation of travel.

I reckon we will be playing rnd 2, 3 & 4 vs Melbourne based sides.
Finally a string of Melbourne games! But nobody can go and watch...

Back