Society/Culture The 12 Steps... To spotting conspiracy theories.

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you know they are hit pieces?
Most of the media articles fail to get basic facts right. They report on outlandish follower theories instead of GOING TO THE SOURCE.

E.g. A search for the following terms - "baby", "babies", "fetus(es)", "embryo(s)", "infant(s)" returns three relevant posts. Out of 4300.

The posts say Planned Parenthood sells aborted fetuses (worth more when aborted late term) and donates cash to the Democrat Party.

That's all. Nothing about "Democrats eat babies". If my research abilities were that abysmal, would I have a PhD? Absolutely not!

Another common media claim is "QAnon says JFK Jr is alive and helping President Trump". Wrong. Post #2611 states JFK Jr is dead.

I'll ask again, why is the media so triggered by this entity posing as a White House source when they haven't asked Trump about it?

Most of the media articles fail to get basic facts right. They report on outlandish follower theories instead of GOING TO THE SOURCE.

E.g. A search for the following terms - "baby", "babies", "fetus(es)", "embryo(s)", "infant(s)" returns three relevant posts. Out of 4300.

The posts say Planned Parenthood sells aborted fetuses (worth more when aborted late term) and donates cash to the Democrat Party.

That's all. Nothing about "Democrats eat babies". If my research abilities were that abysmal, would I have a PhD? Absolutely not!

Another common media claim is "QAnon says JFK Jr is alive and helping President Trump". Wrong. Post #2611 states JFK Jr is dead.

I'll ask again, why is the media so triggered by this entity posing as a White House source when they haven't asked Trump about it?
Because it’s so obviously bullshit.

Love this:

FROM NEWS.COM.AU

Telstra’s Facebook page is regularly inundated with comments from conspiracy theorists attacking its rollout of 5G.

An eagle-eyed user shared a screenshot of an exchange purporting to be between a commenter and the company that has now been shared widely.

“TAKE DOWN 5G TOWERS THERE WEAPONS THAT CAUSE COVID!!” a user named James wrote.

Telstra promptly replied: “Hi James. The 5G towers will help download your conspiracy videos faster.”

Love this:

FROM NEWS.COM.AU

Telstra’s Facebook page is regularly inundated with comments from conspiracy theorists attacking its rollout of 5G.

An eagle-eyed user shared a screenshot of an exchange purporting to be between a commenter and the company that has now been shared widely.

“TAKE DOWN 5G TOWERS THERE WEAPONS THAT CAUSE COVID!!” a user named James wrote.

Telstra promptly replied: “Hi James. The 5G towers will help download your conspiracy videos faster.”
Pretty funny it's fake news but Telstra liked it so much they shared it anyway.

Telstra

@Telstra

https://twitter.com/Telstra/status/1263297383279898624

Attention everyone. This isn’t real, but we wish it was. So we're tweeting it now. https://twitter.com/KiwiCraig74/status/1263235437348261889 …

I think we can actually just break it down to one step:

* A 'conspiracy theory' is anything that doesn't fit in with Chief's personal knowledge of the world and how it works.

I think of 'conspiracy theories' as being the worst possible scenarios.

We can either be like Chief and ridicule these scenarios and hope that they never eventuate or we can assess the possibility and the risks associated and try to put measures in place to make sure that they never eventuate.

I think we can actually just break it down to one step:

* A 'conspiracy theory' is anything that doesn't fit in with Chief's personal knowledge of the world and how it works.

I think of 'conspiracy theories' as being the worst possible scenarios.

We can either be like Chief and ridicule these scenarios and hope that they never eventuate or we can assess the possibility and the risks associated and try to put measures in place to make sure that they never eventuate.
Lol!

My favourite catchcry of the nutjobs is "do your own research". What constitutes "doing your own research" for these people is quite laughable.
Why waste time doing your own research when the media can tell you what to think?

Why waste time doing your own research when the media can tell you what to think?

One of the common traits I've found with conspiracy theorists is that they're convinced everyone but them is being manipulated by the media.

Ooooof thanks for the reply Chief, although, my doctor has warned me a diet with too much salt can be bad for my health.

Just for everyone playing at home can you please give us a list of the top 10 'Conspiracy Theories' we can comprehensively rule out?

Ooooof thanks for the reply Chief, although, my doctor has warned me a diet with too much salt can be bad for my health.

Just for everyone playing at home can you please give us a list of the top 10 'Conspiracy Theories' we can comprehensively rule out?
Conspiracy theories as the worst possible scenario?

Can you explain that? How does, say, the CT about 5G spreading Covid fit in as a worst possible scenario?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conspiracy theories as the worst possible scenario?

Can you explain that? How does, say, the CT about 5G spreading Covid fit in as a worst possible scenario?

Are you saying the conspiracy theory is that the 5G towers are spreading the Covid-19 virus?

I haven't heard that at all, obviously a 5G tower could not be responsible for spreading a virus.

I thought the concern around 5G towers was the level of radiation (RF-EMF) they can omit. Radiation sickness can mimic flu like symptoms, maybe that is where the confusion comes from?

Hardly a conspiracy theory though, as there are many scientists around the world who are worried about the dangers of radiation omitted by 5G towers. Aren't you the one who says we should be listening to these scientists? Here's a link to a website outlining the concerns from 180 scientist in Europe.

https://www.5gappeal.eu/

I would say that if 5G towers have the capacity to produce levels or radiation that are dangerous to humans and they aren't regulated properly then it would definitely be worse case scenario. Hopefully the telecom companies have listened to the concerns of these scientists and put failsafes in place so that the level of radiation emitted can never reach those dangerous levels.

The vast majority of radiation absorbed by human beings is in the visible light spectrum.

The majority of scientific research shows that the EME from 5G antennae is perfectly fine, especially when you consider the low power that 5G cells transmit at.

The vast majority of radiation absorbed by human beings is in the visible light spectrum.

The majority of scientific research shows that the EME from 5G antennae is perfectly fine, especially when you consider the low power that 5G cells transmit at.
Well they would say that!

How do you explain the concerns from these scientists?

"The over 240 scientists refer to the fact that ”numerous recent scientific publications have shown that EMF affects living organisms at levels well below most international and national guidelines”. Effects include increased cancer risk, cellular stress, increase in harmful free radicals, genetic damages, structural and functional changes of the reproductive system, learning and memory deficits, neurological disorders, and negative impacts on general well-being in humans. Damage goes well beyond the human race, as there is growing evidence of harmful effects to both plants and animals. "

Hey Chief!

Ok so we both agree that 5G towers do not spread the 'Covid-19 virus' (Yay common ground! Although I'm still not sure that can even be called a 'conspiracy theory' as I have never heard anyone mention it before, it is a seriously stupid idea, but I'll let you have it as one)

Do you have another 9 or so 'conspiracy theories' that you think we can comprehensively rule out?

Come on... you must have so many since you are an expert in everything!

How do you explain the concerns from these scientists?

"The over 240 scientists refer to the fact that ”numerous recent scientific publications have shown that EMF affects living organisms at levels well below most international and national guidelines”. Effects include increased cancer risk, cellular stress, increase in harmful free radicals, genetic damages, structural and functional changes of the reproductive system, learning and memory deficits, neurological disorders, and negative impacts on general well-being in humans. Damage goes well beyond the human race, as there is growing evidence of harmful effects to both plants and animals. "
Scientific American publish a lot or articles and opinions don't they?

Research should continue, that is unquestionable.
Fortunately, we have a reasonably well funded government body who regularly conducts meta-analysis on studies.

There will always be scientists who swim against the tide, and that is a good thing as it ensures scrutiny of research. In this instance the overwhelming body of evidence suggests 5G is safe, even before you consider the frequencies 5G currently uses in Australia are 3.6Ghz with some capacity at 850Mhz on newer cells (which is sandwiched between the 3G & 4G range).

I love the fact that at the last flat Earth conference ~25% of attendees ratified the 'Pac-Man' theory of why people don't fall off the edge.

https://www.5gappeal.eu/

I would say that if 5G towers have the capacity to produce levels or radiation that are dangerous to humans and they aren't regulated properly then it would definitely be worse case scenario. Hopefully the telecom companies have listened to the concerns of these scientists and put failsafes in place so that the level of radiation emitted can never reach those dangerous levels.
Bullshit

One of the common traits I've found with conspiracy theorists is that they're convinced everyone but them is being manipulated by the media.
Sure, plenty of them have tickets on themselves despite their often poor scientific knowledge and reasoning skills. They still get manipulated, just by the people they follow instead of the media. I don't claim to be immune to manipulation (because no one is), but I've corrected/challenged people who've posted false or misleading conspiracy stuff. It's just another way I can put my scientific knowledge and research skills to use.

Would you find it concerning if the media believe their job is to control what people think? Their job is to report facts and let people decide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back