VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Clubs have known for weeks that the league’s aiming for a July start That’s pretty much all that was discussed here two weeks ago.

What they’re aiming for and what they’re allowed to do might be two completely different things, however.

Reading the RTT protocols it’s going to be a nightmare for bigger clubs to navigate training nights. My club has 2 ovals for 6 teams, men and women, and we only get them Tuesday and Thursday night. And the top oval only just fits our two women’s sides. Anyone involved in junior footy know if they are aiming to play?

Clubs have known for weeks that the league’s aiming for a July start That’s pretty much all that was discussed here two weeks ago.

What they’re aiming for and what they’re allowed to do might be two completely different things, however.

Reading the RTT protocols it’s going to be a nightmare for bigger clubs to navigate training nights. My club has 2 ovals for 6 teams, men and women, and we only get them Tuesday and Thursday night. And the top oval only just fits our two women’s sides. Anyone involved in junior footy know if they are aiming to play?

YJFL a certainty to play, sorry workhorse. Looking at mid July start. With schools Going back it only enhances juniors playing. Seniors on the other hand - who knows. I have heard 1 in all in with regards to metro leagues. If it doesn’t happen can you imagine the carnage that may occur in regards to transfers, etc if one league plays and another doesn’t

This will only be a proposed date, still a long list of provisions and requirements that need to be ticked off. Not to mention the need for approval from local councils!
I'm sure Glen Eira have contacted all clubs and have given okay as long as all guidelines are followed.

Sheep mentality created by negativity.
I think you must be referring to Sweden, or the UK. Herd mentality hasn’t helped them.

Until there’s a vaccine, we have no option but to err on the side of caution. Not negativity, just prudence.

We all want football to return, but only once the medical and epidemiological advice says it’s safe.

Further, local football should only be played in 2020 if the financial impact on clubs is not detrimental to their long term future.

I think you must be referring to Sweden, or the UK. Herd mentality hasn’t helped them.

Until there’s a vaccine, we have no option but to err on the side of caution. Not negativity, just prudence.

We all want football to return, but only once the medical and epidemiological advice says it’s safe.

Further, local football should only be played in 2020 if the financial impact on clubs is not detrimental to their long term future.
I thought you were waiting before posting again lol

That advice may only be a fortnight away ? If we are taking the absolute anti risk stance then we are ruling a line through 2021 as well because there will not be a vaccine in the required global supply prior to at least this time next year.
Right now schools have decided to commit to football for a start in July. Local junior leagues are committing for a start in July. Obviously these decisions are predicated by a continued improvement in the viral density in the community, if it gets worse the season is off but if it continues to improve they have commenced on the journey to play.
Maybe the senior leagues need to make a decision one way or another so that the planning for clubs and players can commence. If the health advice in 6 weeks says we can't play then we are in no different position than that which we are now. The alternative is that we continue to wait and not be able to prepare and plan. We receive a decision in 3-4 weeks time from the leagues and by that stage all impetus is gone and there is no chance to do what is required to enable games to occur.
I'd rather be on the side of doing everything we can to let the men and women play. If it does not happen, at least we gave it a red hot go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That advice may only be a fortnight away ? If we are taking the absolute anti risk stance then we are ruling a line through 2021 as well because there will not be a vaccine in the required global supply prior to at least this time next year.
Right now schools have decided to commit to football for a start in July. Local junior leagues are committing for a start in July. Obviously these decisions are predicated by a continued improvement in the viral density in the community, if it gets worse the season is off but if it continues to improve they have commenced on the journey to play.
Maybe the senior leagues need to make a decision one way or another so that the planning for clubs and players can commence. If the health advice in 6 weeks says we can't play then we are in no different position than that which we are now. The alternative is that we continue to wait and not be able to prepare and plan. We receive a decision in 3-4 weeks time from the leagues and by that stage all impetus is gone and there is no chance to do what is required to enable games to occur.
I'd rather be on the side of doing everything we can to let the men and women play. If it does not happen, at least we gave it a red hot go.

I posted on my local league forum, the Northern League. Money or lack of will cancel the season before covid19 does. Dan Andrews plans to have a 100 people in cafes and restaurants by mid July, when the rumored start date for senior footy is, if that is the governments plan there is no reason why footy shouldn't be able to go ahead. We have been in lockdown for 9 weeks, we've got 6-7 more weeks before the season is meant to start, that is a lot of time to improve things and ease restrictions. There is only 90 active cases as we speak. If it is safe for juniors and school footy, and senior local footy is cancelled it comes down to money!

I posted on my local league forum, the Northern League. Money or lack of will cancel the season before covid19 does. Dan Andrews plans to have a 100 people in cafes and restaurants by mid July, when the rumored start date for senior footy is, if that is the governments plan there is no reason why footy shouldn't be able to go ahead. We have been in lockdown for 9 weeks, we've got 6-7 more weeks before the season is meant to start, that is a lot of time to improve things and ease restrictions. There is only 90 active cases as we speak. If it is safe for juniors and school footy, and senior local footy is cancelled it comes down to money!

Correct - clubs and leagues will decide if playing footy is so important to them to over ride the potential for / likelihood of significant financial pain.

School footy costs are built into fees already paid by parents. Easy call to make and not governed by AFL Victoria in any event. Junior footy runs (comparatively) on the smell of an oily rag. So to run a shortened season when it’s all about volunteers and fun isn’t a massive risk.

Those who yearn for a 9 match senior season have their heart in the right place. However, ask any prudent Treasurer how tough it will be to put 22 or 44 or 66 players on the park each week and not post a big loss......?

Hopefully head doesn’t have to override heart in this instance.

I
Correct - clubs and leagues will decide if playing footy is so important to them to over ride the potential for / likelihood of significant financial pain.

School footy costs are built into fees already paid by parents. Easy call to make and not governed by AFL Victoria in any event. Junior footy runs (comparatively) on the smell of an oily rag. So to run a shortened season when it’s all about volunteers and fun isn’t a massive risk.

Those who yearn for a 9 match senior season have their heart in the right place. However, ask any prudent Treasurer how tough it will be to put 22 or 44 or 66 players on the park each week and not post a big loss......?

It all comes down gathering restrictions. 500 provides more than enough revenue. AFL outer east is set to announce there roadmap back to play on June 2nd pending stage 2 of Dan Andrews plan to return to normal. You only have to go back and read statements from Martin Pakula and Andrews himself to understand the significance of community sport to the economy. There is a lot of reasons bandied about why we shouldn’t play but take a deep breath and re-assess in 9-10 days. Hopefully we have a clearer path

What is the significant financial pain for a VAFA club ? Let's say HQ reduces it's affiliation fees to 25% of original. Coaches and other off field staff decide that the money to do the job is not as important as being part of something (community). Local councils reduce their fees substantially. The general apathy amongst a latent volunteer base dissipates and for the 2020 truncated season there is more that enough boots on the ground as people just want to be part of something. Discretionary expenditure is generally down but a club is able to derive $50 a head from past players and existing members. Most clubs have one or two (or for some a lot more) benefactors. These wonderful people still make their annual contributions.
I know there is a degree of fairytale to this scenario but why, if there is a substantive will, is it impossible ?
Any prudent treasurer has a significant interest is seeing his / her players get on the park and with that as the priority driver will be playing the game of hypothetical (going through a myriad of possibilities) and not get stuck on the one paradigm of possible financial pain.

What is the significant financial pain for a VAFA club ? Let's say HQ reduces it's affiliation fees to 25% of original. Coaches and other off field staff decide that the money to do the job is not as important as being part of something (community). Local councils reduce their fees substantially. The general apathy amongst a latent volunteer base dissipates and for the 2020 truncated season there is more that enough boots on the ground as people just want to be part of something. Discretionary expenditure is generally down but a club is able to derive $50 a head from past players and existing members. Most clubs have one or two (or for some a lot more) benefactors. These wonderful people still make their annual contributions.
I know there is a degree of fairytale to this scenario but why, if there is a substantive will, is it impossible ?
Any prudent treasurer has a significant interest is seeing his / her players get on the park and with that as the priority driver will be playing the game of hypothetical (going through a myriad of possibilities) and not get stuck on the one paradigm of possible financial pain.
If you think the VAFA will reduce affiliation fees to 25%......I want a bit of what you’re smoking.

Coaches not asking to be paid? Pass the billy over again thanks.

Local councils reducing fees? Who is ordering the pizza?

Apathy amongst latent volunteer dissipating? Okay, stop it now, the room is spinning and I need to go outside.....

I didn’t say it was impossible, but now you put it that way, maybe it is.

Stealing Jase's thunder, Hedge?;)

Didn’t realise he had posted it in another thread. Good to see Jase coming up with some objective information, a pleasant change from speculation.

Stealing Jase's thunder, Hedge?;)

Some of us have no interest in A Grade and don't follow that thread

Thanks for posting Hedge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back