2020 Non-Crows AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How.come players nominating a club they want to go to.during the Draft Period is not considered draft tampering?

The player has limited the scope of draft.picks that can be procured for.his movement, thus tampered with the draft order. Instead of letting the uncovered forces.of negotiation between two clubs.determine the outcome and thus draft order.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Should allow players to nominate a state rather than a club.

Trigg and co were convinced if he decided to leave it would be to go to the Gold Coast. Or at a stretch Brisbane.

Giving Sydney a massive leg up at that point in time would’ve pissed off a lot of clubs. Most of the Victorian clubs were lobbying hard to have Sydney’s COLA payments revoked.

Tippett was coming into his prime. And decent KPF who could actually ruck were like rocking s**t.

[slangterms.tumblr.com] meviblVqAk1r3v72c.jpg

How.come players nominating a club they want to go to.during the Draft Period is not considered draft tampering?

The player has limited the scope of draft.picks that can be procured for.his movement, thus tampered with the draft order. Instead of letting the uncovered forces.of negotiation between two clubs.determine the outcome and thus draft order.

Assuming you’re not referring to first year draftees, any player going to a draft is still available to any club with an earlier pick that meets their contract demands. It’s not draft tampering, it’s a right afforded the player under the rules.

It wasn’t actually in the contract. It was a side deal which I guess isn’t allowed. It’s hard to know how much of our penalty was tied to that. Diverting Balfours sponsorship to Tippett with an evidence trail including instructions to not let the AFL know would likely have contributed more to our penalty.
Did we ever find out who leaked the details of the side deal originally? It was speculated on the season before everything broke.

The Tippett/Blucher camp? Rendell?

Also where did our board minutes leak from? Someone on our board? Or was it the AFL during their investigation?

Assuming you’re not referring to first year draftees, any player going to a draft is still available to any club with an earlier pick that meets their contract demands. It’s not draft tampering, it’s a right afforded the player under the rules.
But when a player nominates a club they limit the Draft pick that can be traded.

Player X wants to go to Richmond. They have pick 18. But Saint Kilda also want him and they have pick 10 and happy to give that up for that pick. His old club happy with pick 10.

He does not want to go to St Kilda.

In the absence of player destination choice, the market value is pick 10. Once the player chooses a singular club he artificially alters his market vale.

And thus tampered with the Draft order.

But when a player nominates a club they limit the Draft pick that can be traded.

Player X wants to go to Richmond. They have pick 18. But Saint Kilda also want him and they have pick 10 and happy to give that up for that pick. His old club happy with pick 10.

He does not want to go to St Kilda.

In the absence of player destination choice, the market value is pick 10. Once the player chooses a singular club he artificially alters his market vale.

And thus tampered with the Draft order.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to players going into a draft. Still, fair stretch for that scenario to meet any definition of draft tampering.

Did we ever find out who leaked the details of the side deal originally? It was speculated on the season before everything broke.

The Tippett/Blucher camp? Rendell?

Also where did our board minutes leak from? Someone on our board? Or was it the AFL during their investigation?
Don't know, but definitely pre-investigation. There were general media rumours of the 2nd round trade agreement even before he'd committed to going to Sydney.

Don't know, but definitely pre-investigation. There were general media rumours of the 2nd round trade agreement even before he'd committed to going to Sydney.
The theory was that it was Matty loose lips Rendell - part of the reason he got shown the door.

The pack of bloodhounds at the Advertiser obviously never bothered to check around though.

Who knows whether it's true or not.

What year did we recruit Jenkins? I distinctly remember Rendell on 5aa saying a year or two afterwards that we had been following JJ closely and were keen to get him because we knew Tippett was leaving.

The theory was that it was Matty loose lips Rendell - part of the reason he got shown the door.

The pack of bloodhounds at the Advertiser obviously never bothered to check around though.

Who knows whether it's true or not.

What year did we recruit Jenkins? I distinctly remember Rendell on 5aa saying a year or two afterwards that we had been following JJ closely and were keen to get him because we knew Tippett was leaving.
Maybe rumours were already out and about but apparently another self-reporting episode...

The Crows had been ready to send Tippett to the Swans in exchange for pick No. 23 and fringe Swans forward Jesse White last Friday, but got cold feet.
It was then that Crows CEO Steven Trigg disclosed the Tippett side deal to the AFL. ...
[www.sydneyswans.com.au]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rumours were out there the year before

Caro said that there's a side deal to trade Tippett to the club of his choice for a 2nd rounder

Huh? went the football world

From memory Trigg even publicly refuted the rumour (but chose his words carefully - would love to find the interview) and it died there, laying dormant for over a year.

12-15 months later when the s**t hit the fan, board minutes from that earlier period leaked which showed our board had also asked Trigg the question about the rumours going around. He acknowledged that the clause existed, that it was the only way to gain Tippett's signature at the time but that it was now handled so not an issue.

The self reporting only occurred after things had blown up in our face.

Just remembered that Triggy was on holidays during trade week when the whole house of cards came crashing down

Steven Trigg: G’day boys, I’m back. What a trip!

David Noble:
Umm… welcome back Triggy.

Phil Harper:
Good holiday?

Steven Trigg:
Unbelievable. Eifel Tower, Louvre, London, Euro Disney… certainly recharged the batteries.

David Noble:
You been keeping up with what’s going on?

Steven Trigg:
Nope. Phone off the entire time, didn’t check emails… I’ve basically been off the grid for three weeks. That’s the only way to really relax, you know? I’ve got 700 unread emails! I’ll plough through them this arvo. So, how’s trade week been going?

David Noble:
Umm… well, it’s sort of been a bit of a good news-bad news scenario so far.

Steven Trigg:
Oh yeah?

Phil Harper:
Yeah…

(short silence)

Steven Trigg:
Well? Don’t leave me hanging here. What’s the story?

David Noble:
Ok… for starters, we’re just about to ink a deal for Angus Graham.

Steven Trigg:
Angus Graham? From Coburg?

David Noble:
Not Coburg, he’s still on Richmond’s list.

Phil Harper:
He just plays for Coburg.

Steven Trigg:
Didn’t he get delisted two years ago?

David Noble:
No, no. He’s still on their list. He’s just back up anyway, in case something happens to Sauce. Hopefully we won’t have to use him.

Steven Trigg:
Gee… Angus Graham. What happened to Giles?

David Noble:
Re-signed with GWS.

Steven Trigg:
Hamish McIntosh? Daniel Gorringe?

David Noble:
Geelong nabbed McIntosh and the Suns lost Hickey so Gorringe was never on the table.

Steven Trigg:
Bugger… we’re going to have a hard time getting our fans excited about that. Still… I guess you need some ruck cover. Oh well, it’s a blow but I guess we’ll take that punch and roll with it. So what’s the good news?

David Noble:
Umm… that was the good news.

Hang on, a Richmond player is allowed to accept funds from Gofundme to supplement his salary and that is acceptable in terms of Salary Cap and outside income.

Is this legit?

Poor bloke having to scrape by barely under the median Aussie wage. My heart breaks for him.

Honestly, the most frustrating thing about that whole scandal for me was that Sydney wasnt punished. To know of an illegal deal, and to use it to try to coerce a substantially below market rate deal is not innocent behaviour.

I mean, if they'd even offered us unders we'd have been fine, but they insisted upon it being so demeaning a deal that the AFL couldnt help but look into why we'd accept it.

Honestly, the most frustrating thing about that whole scandal for me was that Sydney wasnt punished. To know of an illegal deal, and to use it to try to coerce a substantially below market rate deal is not innocent behaviour.

I mean, if they'd even offered us unders we'd have been fine, but they insisted upon it being so demeaning a deal that the AFL couldnt help but look into why we'd accept it.
Meh, from their pov, they knew we effed up and could put our feet to the fire. Leveraging our failure was fair game imo.

They got penalised by getting Tippett.

Just remembered that Triggy was on holidays during trade week when the whole house of cards came crashing down
Daniel Gorringe, the kid who knew he wasn't gonna be any good but a lot of clubs thought he was.

Soon to be of Big Brother "fame" I think.

Meh, from their pov, they knew we effed up and could put our feet to the fire. Leveraging our failure was fair game imo.

They got penalised by getting Tippett.

No, it's absolutely not fair game.

If you receive knowledge of another person breaking the law, and use that to blackmail them then you've also broken the law.

Sydney didn't try to use the deal against us did they?

They were offering their 1st round pick plus Jesse White

It was pick 23, and White (who was a significant salary cap dump for them). It was a significantly one sided deal...

They got punished later

No, it's absolutely not fair game.

If you receive knowledge of another person breaking the law, and use that to blackmail them then you've also broken the law.
It's afl rules, not real laws. We screwed up. They knew it. I don't blame them for our mess.

And they took up a bunch of our salary cap and a jerk who wanted to be paid not to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back