Mega Thread The Daniher Debacle

I still want the prick if he checks out

He is an absolute gun and a athletic freak for his size that changes the course of a game of his own boot

These blokes are what the difference normally is in finalS games
Fully fit he is as good as anyone in the comp.

Absolute genius when right.

Jon Patton is the one to watch this year, Joe is using his playbook. No real concern here just get him to the club.

Even if Joe busts its not going to set us back much. Our window withiut him wont be until 2023ish anyway.
This. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain through targeting Daniher IMO.
Patton is value wise what we should be offering Essendon at the absolute utter most.
Except Daniher at his best has proven himself to be a much better player than Patton at his best. And Patton was only so cheap because he was only traded to offload his salary to help GWS in their attempts to retain the likes of Cameron and Williams. Same with Scully the year prior. GWS believed they could compete without both of these players, Essendon don't think they can compete without Daniher. Not at all comparable.
If I was a Dons fan I'd believe we wouldn't be too far off going for the premiership. Great backline, solid midfield, good coach and only missing piece is a star forward - ala Daniher. They definately need to get a lot of things right but their core is mid to late 20s. If they rebuild now they'll set themselves back 5yrs
At this stage, I think I'd just want to win a final.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I still want the prick if he checks out

He is an absolute gun and a athletic freak for his size that changes the course of a game of his own boot

These blokes are what the difference normally is in finalS games
What's your definition of 'if he checks out'? What medical hurdles and outcomes would meet the criteria

He is still young and could come good.

At a cheap price as well.

If he leaves Essendon, SEN said today they will get a 2nd Round Compo. I reckon they will be lucky to get that.

If he leaves Essendon, SEN said today they will get a 2nd Round Compo. I reckon they will be lucky to get that.
Essendon's own arrogance won't let it happen. Then when we refuse to trade they will sook and cry to the AFL who will use the power of THE ALGORITHM to get end of R1 pick.

Essendon's own arrogance won't let it happen. Then when we refuse to trade they will sook and cry to the AFL who will use the power of THE ALGORITHM to get end of R1 pick.

It will be influenced by the size of our offer to JD and if the Drugons don't match. They will squeal like stuck pigs anyway. And yep you may be right about the end if Rd 1 pick.

FreeAgent1

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
It will be influenced by the size of our offer to JD and if the Drugons don't match. They will squeal like stuck pigs anyway. And yep you may be right about the end if Rd 1 pick.
If they get an end of 1st round compo - I doubt they will get anything better in a trade, from ANY team.

I would love them to match our RFA offer, and then Joe publically says he isnt signing it and goes to PSD....

Just for the 3 different ways Dodo could have got out of the situation and still failed to get anything.

I think he will cut off his nose to ensure he doesnt "lose" a trade.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Whatever offer from the Swans in regards to cash is probably off the table. 2nd or 3rd round pick for a bloke for any team who wants him. Who hasn't played in years and unlike Patton is still unfit by all accounts.

And that's the clincher in regard to any Patton comparison. Bloke could have played for GWS last year but chose not to. Therefore was at that point medically fit to play and Hawthorns risk was lower.

Daniher is not medically fit and after years is showing no signs of getting any better.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't agree.

They missed a massive opportunity. They had an injury-prone player who wanted out of their club. Reckon it's pretty common-sense to try and off-load said player. But when you start making ridiculous demands - ie refusing draft picks and only going after certain players that the other club would never trade - then I think that's boxing yourself in.

Also shows their arrogance/delusion, that they actually thought they were so close to a flag that the addition of a Heeney or a Mills or a Florent or a Blakey would get them there. They're rabble, haven't won a final in, what, fifteen years? They should actually be a rebuilding team. Should've been after draft picks the whole time but instead they missed out on any of the three potential rewards: didn't get any of our prized youngsters, didn't get any draft picks, didn't get the salary relief of no longer paying a bloke to sit on the sidelines.

Dodo is a dud.
Apart from us being a 'rabble' (we are delusional about being in our window but we have some quality) i think you are spot on.

I'd also suggest between blowing this chance and then adding the Shiel deal pics (plus our inability to draft high quality AFL mids anyway) we have blown any real chance of being a top 4 team for years.

All that aside i think we have a strong.defensive group and It will be interesting to see how that works against Sydney's similarly strong forward line. I think round 2 will be a close one.

Last edited:
And Dodo's asking price even more crazy

Well that too! We can thank our lucky stars the broken down bloke isn't taking money off our salary cap this year!

Even more crucial to keep Papley. Just pay him whatever Carlton were offering. Just shuffle some dollars here and there, easy

If Papley goes it won’t be about money. I agree with you that he deserves to be paid well. However family may be a factor here. Who knows it’s a long season.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I presumed Sydney had some insights into danihers fitness when they wanted him

Not so sure now

I think because it’s OP and therefore inflammation the only way you can tell is if he can’t do things like run etc. He’d had some follow up treatment and was probably saying he is right now but too early to train yet. Placed Swans in awkward position. I’m just glad we didn’t jump in the deep end

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Those calling for us to stump up for the cripple. Joe is unlikely to play again. Complete waste of money. Tippet, Bradshaw, Franklin. We've had good service from one out of three marquee forwards in the last ten years. At least Tippet and Bradshaw were fit when we traded for them. The bottom line is we have forward talent coming through and the forward line is not our weakness.

Those calling for us to stump up for the cripple. Joe is unlikely to play again. Complete waste of money. Tippet, Bradshaw, Franklin. We've had good service from one out of three marquee forwards in the last ten years. At least Tippet and Bradshaw were fit when we traded for them. The bottom line is we have forward talent coming through and the forward line is not our weakness.

Agree we don’t want cripples

But with Reid basically a list clogger and buddy looking cooked the forward line is an issue

Especially if Papley went, Blakey looks like he isn’t a key forward in the current plan and mccartin they seem to like down back

We don’t score much at the moment

doesn't the pick all depend on the $$$ and contract length swans are offering him? bit unsure how SEN know that already?

I very much doubt you will offer anything good for him (if he has another in and out year this year). Why would you want 2 x Key Forwards with ongoing injury issues?

Will be interesting if Daniher does come good though - could have a huge contract on his hands if he manages to put a good year together.

Last edited:
doesn't the pick all depend on the $$$ and contract length swans are offering him? bit unsure how SEN know that already?

I very much doubt you will offer anything good for him (if he has another in and out year this year). Why would you want 2 x Key Forwards with ongoing injury issues?

Will be interesting if Daniher does come good though - could have a huge contract on his hands if he manages to put a good year together.

He will not be doing this with your Club.

Back