Mega Thread The Franklin Mint - All Buddy angst, rants, etc to go in here AND NOWHERE ELSE

Sucks Buddy left. But I'd rather every player be held to the same high standards of professionalism, even if it means losing a player like him. Holding one player to lower standards just because they're really talented is toxic to culture. It breeds resentment among the other players. And if the senior coach hasn't got the ability to be able to demand those high standards from every player then good luck leading them to a flag.

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sucks Buddy left. But I'd rather every player be held to the same high standards of professionalism, even if it means losing a player like him. Holding one player to lower standards just because they're really talented is toxic to culture. It breeds resentment among the other players. And if the senior coach hasn't got the ability to be able to demand those high standards from every player then good luck leading them to a flag.
That's why we won in 2014 and 2015.

And why the swans haven't won one since he joined them.

I think it would have been irresponsible of Clarkson to not ask the question. Trade period only happens once and (at the time) I believe it only went for a week. If Franklin had definitively told Clarko he was leaving then we could have gotten a monster deal for him. Instead we lost him as a FA and received friggin Pick 19. For arguably the best player in the competition. Lewis & Roughy didn't sound too supportive of Clarkson's handling of the situation but what else was he meant to do if he believed Franklin was going to leave as a FA? Franklin was likely unsure/undecided at the time and told him as such. I very much doubt such an action would greatly impact Franklin's decision given there were multiple other factors. I also acknowledge that perhaps Clarko shouldn't have visited him on his holiday and given him some time off but a one hour honest face-to-face conversation shouldn't be a reason to greatly influence a monumental decision.

And if Franklin wanting to stay a one-club player was true and indicative of his loyalty he would have tried his best to ensure we didn't get shafted. Instead he signed the contract, took the check and didn't say a word as we got the equivalent of peanuts for a player of his calibre. He easily could have spoken up and said 'I want to do right by Hawthorn' and while we wouldn't have gotten a fair deal out of Sydney we would have gotten more and been in a better position. Even a flog like Dangerfield ensured Adelaide got a better deal than a paltry compensation pick. He also wasn't open with us about where he was going - if he told us from the beginning it was Sydney we could have started conversations with them. Instead we believed it was GWS and opened communications with them. I've heard rumours that they were even willing to offer us Pick 1 to ensure everything went smoothly and they got their marquee player. If this is true then we got shafted on multiple fronts.

I don't blame Buddy for leaving. But I absolutely hated the way he treated our club.
I can understand Buddy's sour grapes after the Vegas thing. That the club, and especially Clarko wanted him packaged up and shipped off to GWS in return for players and picks, I can imagine would've sat badly -- as it would with any player. Clarko showing up and pushing the point (any point) on your holiday might have just been the final straw, so I wouldn't have Clark wearing all the blame. Then again, Clarko can roast, so who knows?.

I've never bought the shtick about the millions, or the girlfriend yadda yadda yadda. Getting shopped by your club (and handled badly by the sounds of things) is going to brown anyone off. That would'be been the catalyst for Buddy seriously looking for an out, and having a final pop at the club in the process.

We were always going to be better off without him, and we were. Shame it couldnt have been a bit more of a win/ win thing, instead of us appearing to have gotten burnt on the deal. Ultimately, I guess it remains to be seen how Buddy interacts with the club and how the dust settles. I'd hate to think there is still any bad blood that will overshadow some pretty glorious times.

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I believe one Mr Allan Jeans agrees with your statement.

Hawkie_McHawkHawk

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I can understand Buddy's sour grapes after the Vegas thing. That the club, and especially Clarko wanted him packaged up and shipped off to GWS in return for players and picks, I can imagine would've sat badly -- as it would with any player. Clarko showing up and pushing the point (any point) on your holiday might have just been the final straw, so I wouldn't have Clark wearing all the blame. Then again, Clarko can roast, so who knows?.

I've never bought the shtick about the millions, or the girlfriend yadda yadda yadda. Getting shopped by your club (and handled badly by the sounds of things) is going to brown anyone off. That would'be been the catalyst for Buddy seriously looking for an out, and having a final pop at the club in the process.

We were always going to be better off without him, and we were. Shame it couldnt have been a bit more of a win/ win thing, instead of us appearing to have gotten burnt on the deal. Ultimately, I guess it remains to be seen how Buddy interacts with the club and how the dust settles. I'd hate to think there is still any bad blood that will overshadow some pretty glorious times.
I’m sure the club wanted to keep him every day of the week- the problem was Hawthorn wanted to stay in the Premiership window and that meant he’d have to fit within what the club could afford. It’s a bit revisionist to say we were ‘shopping him’ I feel when the door was open to him, Clarko was trying to gauge what descision Buddy (all by his self) was going to make and position Hawthorn in a way to benefit from it. Clarko may not have gone the best way about it, yes, but talk of us trying to ‘shop him’ I feel is inaccurate- I could never see the club treating one of their out and out champions like this.

I’m sure the club wanted to keep him every day of the week- the problem was Hawthorn wanted to stay in the Premiership window and that meant he’d have to fit within what the club could afford. It’s a bit revisionist to say we were ‘shopping him’ I feel when the door was open to him, Clarko was trying to gauge what descision Buddy (all by his self) was going to make and position Hawthorn in a way to benefit from it. Clarko may not have gone the best way about it, yes, but talk of us trying to ‘shop him’ I feel is inaccurate- I could never see the club treating one of their out and out champions like this.

That is correct, there’s never been any suggestion that we were shopping him around.
Franklin was looking at a Sydney contract after the 2012 Grand Final, that’s how far back it goes.

And if you remember his indifferent performance in the 2013 Grand Final, it was pretty clear he’d already accepted that he was going.

Dave Id

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
Some Australian Mountain Range
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao FC
That is correct, there’s never been any suggestion that we were shopping him around.
Franklin was looking at a Sydney contract after the 2012 Grand Final, that’s how far back it goes.

And if you remember his indifferent performance in the 2013 Grand Final, it was pretty clear he’d already accepted that he was going.

During his 2013 GF medal presentation,Dermie reckoned he was going.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
FB_IMG_1590321757514.jpg

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He went through the motions TBF. Played on a top notch player but had no real impact on the result really. Mentally was already thinking of Sydney I reckon which is human nature.
Just watched the 2014 GF again. Buddy was their best player, but their team had no soul. Hawks were ruthless that day.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I still recall him being trotted out in a Swans polo just days after the 13 GF win. Felt sick in the guts. Cant imagine what Clarko felt.

Went a long way to winning 14. There's no way they were going to let Bud have that over them.

What goes around comes around.

I have never seen a team as focussed as the Hawks were that day. 2012 + Buddy + the media being *******s as usual and there was zero chance the Hawks were going to lose that day. I don't think I have ever seen such a merciless Hawthorn crowd either.

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have never seen a team as focussed as the Hawks were that day. 2012 + Buddy + the media being *******s as usual and there was zero chance the Hawks were going to lose that day. I don't think I have ever seen such a merciless Hawthorn crowd either.
It was one of the purest exhibitions of teamwork I have watched. It was as if they shared one mind. There was always a player in exactly the right position to take a hand pass, block, tackle or receive.

He went through the motions TBF. Played on a top notch player but had no real impact on the result really. Mentally was already thinking of Sydney I reckon which is human nature.
This is just wrong. He played his role that day, like he did all year, which was significantly different than previous seasons as Clarko was preparing for life without him. But he played his role and he did it well. No one “goes through the motions” in a GF and his celebrations and tears that day were real.

I remember him running towards us at the cheer squad after the main celebrations by himself and waving emotionally. It was clearly him saying goodbye and we all knew it.

I arrived at the ground in 2014 quite at ease and far more confident then I was in 2013.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Didn’t Bud have 18 disposals on GF ‘13? Did some really good things and got involved around the ground a lot more than usual from memory. A solid 6.5/10 game imo.

Yeah, he was playing high half forward in a decoy role like he did countless times for the Hawks. He was a very unselfish player when he needed to be. What a superstar he was for us jeez. Those two 08 finals where so good. He wasn't crying after the 13 Granny for no reason.

Back